Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO Indicted for Killing Active Shooter

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I'm gonna guess, at least 60.
    And there's the rub...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

We're fortunate to live in a society where most have little experience shooting people with guns. Unfortunately, in cases like this, we live in a society where most have little experience shooting people with guns. Ignorance will always trump knowledge in these cases.

In my current job, I have routine contacts with grand juries. They are far less impressive than the name implies and the level of ignorance is astounding. In some ways even more so than a regular jury. In my experience a DA sends it to a grand jury for two reasons: to pass the buck and receive a rubber stamp of approval on a case with a doubtful outcome, or as a means of making a politically oriented statement. There has to be more to this story.

Oklahoma is getting very strange in their ejudication. Twenty years ago, OK cops could do just about whatever they damned well pleased without fear of consequence. Some of what they got away with really made me shake my head. Now, the courts seem to almost operate in a form of payback mode.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Five years left. I can retire in little as two. I’m off the road at least.

Site Supporter
    While it isn’t related directly to this case; as a barometer of the current political climate in some parts of Oklahoma, there’s this article which may help to explain the Grand Jury’s decision in this case.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/04/77598...lent-offenders

From the article:

“In Oklahoma, state prisons are preparing to release hundreds of prisoners today as part of the nation's largest single-day commutation.”
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 11-27-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Blackwell is a podunk rinky dinky place. I live an hour and a half from there in Kansas, but have shod horses down there a few times. This pisses me off. From what I know of LE, and having spent enough time on deployment to the Middle East, expecting a couple local/county cops that are on duty to stop some jackass that decides to run, and if actively shooting, is going to be a chore. It’s hard enough to hit moving targets, I can’t bloody imagine trying to do it while driving. Yes, one must be mindful of the bullets they let fly, but FFS. I’ve always liked spending most of my professional time in Oklahoma, but if they’re going to be like this, it might make me think twice.

Makes me think of the ongoing case in our county, or at least involving the former undersheriff, that shot a dude from far too close a range with a less than lethal shotgun round and killed the guy. There’s all kinds of heinous crap from that going in court. I went to high school with the widow, and her lawyer is just trying to hang him out to dry so she can get the bucks off that deal.

I think the thing that's not being reported is that she tossed the gun before the fatal shooting, based on the very careful language being used by everyone reporting the story.

But that's speculation, and wouldn't really change the circumstances except maybe in the grand jury room.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 11-27-2019 at 07:21 PM.

I wonder how many of the 60 rounds actually made it out of the windshield, thru her vehicle, and actually struck her. I bet it was in the single digits.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I think the thing that's not being reported is that she tossed the gun before the fatal shooting, based on the very careful language being used by everyone reporting the story.

But that's speculation, and wouldn't really change the circumstances except maybe in the grand jury room.
    Even if the officer knew she tossed the gun the vehicle is still a weapon and she’s already tried to kill people. And in this job... where there is one gun, there are often more than one. Hopefully this officer can get a solid lawyer and judge with a brain. Hell it might be in his best interest to request a bench trial.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Even if the officer knew she tossed the gun the vehicle is still a weapon and she’s already tried to kill people. And in this job... where there is one gun, there are often more than one. Hopefully this officer can get a solid lawyer and judge with a brain. Hell it might be in his best interest to request a bench trial.

Read the story I posted. Officer took a gun from the guy after guy pointed it at his head, guy took off running, officer shot guy, officer convicted of manslaughter. This occurred in Oklahoma County.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Read the story I posted. Officer took a gun from the guy after guy pointed it at his head, guy took off running, officer shot guy, officer convicted of manslaughter. This occurred in Oklahoma County.
    Running on foot is not the same as fleeing in a 3,000 lb car...

User Tag List