Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock-Something big is coming December 10

Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    I’m amazed how many firearms enthusiasts don’t own rimfire guns. I’m also amazed how many don’t hunt either. Maybe that’s the common denominator.
    Or maybe they are not "enthusiasts". I just have a few guns, for Pete's sake. I cannot buy every caliber there is, I already have too many. It's main reason why I only have revolvers in autoloader calibers.
    Last edited by zaitcev; 12-11-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I want to hunt deer or pigs but don’t know anyone who will go with me and show me how to do it right.
    That’s something that the hunting community still doesn’t seem to grasp — that if they want to slow the decline in the number of hunters, they have to start teaching in a more organized manner than “ask your buddy”. State hunter safety classes don’t actually teach you to hunt.

I’ve often thought that the hunting community could win allies by offering classes in “woodcraft” which would be hunting skills without the weapons: animal behavior, tracking, scouting, reading signs, etc. Folks who just enjoy watching or photographing wildlife would go for that, and a few would become hunters.

.22 LR ammo has issues that centerfire ammo does not that causes reliability issues during high round count sessions with pistols. I do not expect a .22 LR pistol to complete the 2000-round challenge for these reasons.

1) The same ammo is used in both rifles and pistols. In pistols, there tends to be a lot more fouling due to all of the powder not being consumed.
    2) The ammo is outside lubricated, making it easy to attract dust and debris.
    3) The ammo is not very powerful, so powder and crud can easily interfere with bolt/slide travel.
    4) The ammo is easily damaged. Bullets are easy to deform. The cheap ammo will allow the bullet to spin in the case. Cheap ammo often has poor/inconsistent priming and powder charge weights.

Adding a bit of CLP and wiping down the bolt/slide surfaces goes a long way to dealing with 1) through 3). Buying decent ammo (not bulk ammo) helps with 4). The CCI plastic packaging is about the best I have seen.

.22 guns are like the 1911 in that the manufacturers do their own thing. There is no standard. That makes it tougher for everyone.

The funny thing is I have a Remington 552, an autoloading rifle that handles .22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 LR at the same time with no part changes. It also is the most reliable rimfire of my experience. Mine only gets .22 Short and .22 LR

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I’d rather this have been G17-sized, but I believe I will be buying one of these. Perfect old man’s pistol, for low-recoil training, and maybe other purposes. I understand why one should not practice splits with a sub-caliber understudy gun. I have always believed that the accurate first shot is most important, and a sub-caliber understudy gun is perfect for that type of training.
    http://pistol-training.com/articles/...tols-pros-cons

Todd’s piece on .22s.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The funny thing is I have a Remington 552, an autoloading rifle that handles .22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 LR at the same time with no part changes. It also is the most reliable rimfire of my experience. Mine only gets .22 Short and .22 LR
    Yeah, my 552 is great. Inordinately accurate for a semi-auto 22, and pretty reliable compared to the other 22 semi-autos I've fired.

It fouls like crazy though, same as my Ruger Mk1.

I don't think either one could go for more than 200-300 rounds at a time before starting to suffer malfunctions due to fouling.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-11-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Glad I saw this thread before buying a .22 conversion kit. This new Glock is on my future purchase list.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You might have at least kept us abreast of what they were...
    There are multiple reasons that are pretty (pun?) apparent I thought.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I’m amazed how many firearms enthusiasts don’t own rimfire guns. I’m also amazed how many don’t hunt either. Maybe that’s the common denominator.
    Increased urbanization. I used to hunt. Used to when I could walk out my back door and start picking squirrels out of hickory trees. Now it's a 90 minute drive and hunting is something I'm always going to do but never actually get around to.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Because 22 mag is superior in every way. If I'm going to shoot 22 lr, then I just use my 22 air rifle and buy 1,000 rounds for less than $7 and can find it anywhere. I gave up on 22 lr when I couldn't find any and since you can no longer buy a brick of a thousand for $9

I own a .22, a Ruger 10/22, and the last time it was shot was 2010 when I taught my then 10 year old daughter to shoot.

I just find them boring to shoot and it seems like a waste of the money I spend on range time shooting something that’s boring to me.

P.S. I also hunt.

User Tag List