Thread: Beretta 92A1 replacement rear sight advice

Beretta 92A1 replacement rear sight advice

My 92A1 has the 3 dot (white dots) setup from factory. I like it. I need to use sight picture #3 OR I hit low (about 3” at 10-15 yards). I prefer to NOT block out my target like sight picture #1 (6 o’clock hold) #2. I set my pistol in a sandbag rest with short level on the barrel and leveled the gun with gravity. I then put a longer level across the top of rear sight and the top of front post. That line is “uphill” from barrel which means the barrel is aiming below the line of sight (hence shooting low). If I place the level from the top of rear sight across the base of front post it is exactly level. So the front white dot is higher than the rear white dots. A “ level” sight picture would have the front white dot higher . It would suggest using the sight line formed by aligning the top of rear blade with base of front post. My 92A1 was made in 2015. The rear sight looks like the ones currently shown on the M9 on Berettas website. The current 92A1 rear sight shown on Berettas website has a forward facing “ledge” where there is daylight between the barrel and bottom edge of sight. So my 2015 version is different. If I replace my rear sight what dimension (sight height) should I buy to allow for a sight picture #1? Additionally if I were to buy an adjustable rear sight, how could I know if it had enough adjustment vertically to accommodate my higher front sight? I’m not really wanting an adjustable rear sight since for personal defense I don’t want the possibility of things moving. And the current setup is fine for personal defense. I just want to get more predictable groups at various distances and keeping the front and rear white dots at same level seems better than guessing how much higher the raise front dot above rear. I don’t shoot competition. Shoot steel at my farm with my sons and friends and use pistol for personal defense. But if I want to shoot predictable groups with current setup, seems each outing takes some trial and error to get consistent hold depending on range (7, 10, 15, 20 yards).

There is a formula to calculate that but of course I can't find it right now. Some info here. Scroll down to 'Adjusting elevation'
    https://www.novaksights.com/Content....ights%20101%22

User Tag List