Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol shooting with cold hands

Pistol shooting with cold hands

I’ve been out shooting four times in recent weeks in temperatures that made my bare hands uncomfortable; ranging from 28 to 35 degrees. I have been told and found it to be credible and match my experience, that in cold weather the skins pores contract and this makes our skin “slicker” and in the case of our hands, slicker hands makes gripping more challenging.

As it relates to pistol shooting I’ve slowly connected the dots on this phenom as it relates to shooting different pistols. I say slowly because after two cold hand sessions I was flummoxed and frustrated by my hits with the 43X. Then I started paying attention to shooting other sizes of pistol.

I’m as big of a geeked out fan of the 43X as anybody but I’ve found this gun to be much more challenging to run effectively with cold hands. The gun takes some stout gripping and you can tell how much harder that is to do when the hands get uncomfortably cold. The net effect were below average hits for slow fire precision and a lot more difficulty managing recoil in rapid strings of fire with resulting poorer hitting than I’d come to expect.

I found that moving back up in size to standard frame Glocks, in my comparisons, my RTF2 G17, RTF2 G19 and Gen 4 G26 reduced the degree of degradation significantly, down to just a small noticeable degree.

I found my shooting performance with my CQB to be largely unaffected whether for groups or on drills.

I also have been shooting a bit with gloves during these sessions but due to the “mildly” cold temps, just with a pair of Outdoor Research hot weather gloves which are quite thin. My previous experience shooting with gloves was generally matched in that there was some degradation of performance shooting the slimline and standard frame Glocks which generally tracked in degree of degradation with the cold bare handed shooting already mentioned.

I was surprised to find that my performance shooting the CQB gloved (light gloved) was barely affected. Some gunhandling was slowed a bit, like hitting the slide lock reload slide stop with dominant hand thumb; that got a little cludgy. And I was a bit more deliberate in the draw mechanics adjusting to the change in tactile senses but I felt solid and the marksmanship wasn’t really affected. Probably not much of a surprise given the heavy gun with a super trigger characteristics but there it is.

The biggest surprise for me was how much harder shooting the slimline gun was with stinging cold hands vs the bigger guns.

@GJM
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

JHC, perfect seasonal timing for this thread!

When I moved to Alaska in 2002, I was primarily a 1911 shooter. The first winter educated me about below zero temps, big gloves and fine controls. That is when I started carrying a USP Compact 45 with a LEM trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    JHC, perfect seasonal timing for this thread!

When I moved to Alaska in 2002, I was primarily a 1911 shooter. The first winter educated me about below zero temps, big gloves and fine controls. That is when I started carrying a USP Compact 45 with a LEM trigger.
    Frozen hands! REAL cold weather gloves is another animal!

I'm sort of surprised the thinner grip was the hardest to manage. It might not be thinness but the recoil impulse although I didn't think the .45 from a 1911 was so tough.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Depending upon how cold, and the circumstances, an issue for me is losing strength and dexterity in my hands. All things considered, the larger the pistol, the smaller the caliber, the larger the trigger guard, the longer the trigger and the absence of controls are helpful. At some point, a long gun is a better option as there is more to hold onto and less relative recoil. I often layer gloves with a thin shooting glove under a heavier mitten that can be tossed like fighting hockey players do. A warmer pistol may be easier to operate than an externally worn one that is cold soaked.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-26-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I train in the hottest sweatiest conditions and have found the single stack 43 to be extremely challenging to shoot and handle with slick, sweaty hands.

I was overly excited about the single stacks myself, but I just don't think there's enough mass there for grown man hands to handle, or to absorb the recoil of duty powered ammo.

I'm still carrying a 17K...

I'm working on this same issue practicing steel challenge in the low 30's. I've changed grips on my 9mm 1911 to the most aggressive VZ's I own, added grip shims to provide more area for my weak hand palm and tried a few different gloves. Thin work gloves provide some warmth, but are just as slick as my dry, 75 y/o palms. At the end of a 3+ hour session I'm (almost) wishing for a plastic gun. I do see this as an opportunity to improve my concentration and form; seems I'm not creating the right tension in my support arm which promotes my grip slipping in these adverse conditions. It's the price of freedom having moved from CA to ID.
    Last edited by rdtompki; 12-02-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Saturday I was shooting in mild temps (mid 50's) and the day and night difference was dramatic for the 43X shooting which returned to my version of superlative.

I'm sure that TYR one is nice but I prefer the $39.99 Cabelas one, I've used it at work mutipletimes and classes. Throw some hand warmers in the zipper pouch for extra warmth.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

User Tag List