Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feral Hogs Kill Woman In SE Texas

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    When I was in the National Guard we watched a hog walk across our area while on the live fire range for Bradley IFVs. The hog went inside a vehicle with an open gate where two guys sleeping, started rooting through their trash bag, woke one of the troops who then chased it out of the track with his k-pot. The hog ran off about ten yards and stopped. He threw the first thing he was able to lay hands on, an unopened MRE pack at it and missed. The hog then picked it up and trotted off.

They are smarter than dogs and can be much more dangerous than a pack of feral dogs.

I’ve seen folks slaughter pigs with a .22. That .40 wouldn’t have been any more effective than a 9mm if the shot wasn’t placed correctly.
    I bet that MRE got him in the end. Hopefully it was the old dehydrated pork patty.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I bet that MRE got him in the end. Hopefully it was the old dehydrated pork patty.
    Name:  US Mil food meme.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  11.2 KB
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    When I was in a freshman in high school me and some friends were hanging out at our friend Stu’s family land and checking out their old family barn. This was your stereotypical gray wood rusted tin roof barn that was half overgrown with privet and small saplings from sitting unused for twenty years, and it was on just a few acres of land nestled in between a couple of relatively new neighborhoods.

Shortly after we enter the now doorless barn we started hearing a bunch of noise outside and my buddy yells “oh shit it’s the pigs!”

My first though was, it’s the middle of the afternoon and we’re pretty deep in the woods on your family’s land. I doubt the police are out here looking to arrest some kids for smoking some weed. But, when I turned and looked he was already halfway up the ladder to the thankfully intact hay loft. Since Stu was never one to really move rapidly or climb things without provocation we quickly followed him. As last of us got up into the loft about a half dozen 100-300lb feral hogs of various color patterns came through the door and started rutting around in the barn and sniffing up in the air towards us.

We were stuck up there for half an hour or more while the pigs kept rooting around a few feet below us until they eventually lost interest and left.

While we were waiting for the pigs to leave Stu told us that they were offspring of his grandfathers old pigs who had escaped fifteen or so years ago and gone feral. They were usually nocturnal and didn’t come around often, but just happened to find us there on that day.

Site Supporter
    I think the hog situation in some parts of the US are getting flat stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    They were known to hang out around the various ranges and look for scraps from the MREs and throw aways from the mermite containers. Whenever we would do field problems we had to be on the look out for sign and avoid those areas.

When we went to NTC the coyotes would follow you around on post waiting for scraps. They were not at all scared of humans.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I once got snuffled by a huge boar in the middle of the night in a sleeping bag. I don’t ever want to repeat that.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

You can indeed slaughter a pig with a .22.

There is also a difference between slaughtering a domesticated pig in a hog chute and trying to kill a pissed off 300+ pound boar who wants to run you down and fuck your world up. They are big, mean, nasty, fuckers and they don't often turn away after being shot at or even hit, unless it's a brain shot, or breaks the spine or shoulder. This is why when I wander feral hog country, I swap from 230-grain HST to 230-grain +P XTPs. Better sectional density, higher velocity.

Also, this is the time of year to be careful in the woods if there are hogs around, the males typically rut from Nov-Jan. Apparently, daylight hours in the winter months are the most common times for boar attacks on humans - https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/icwdm_wdmconfproc/151/
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-27-2019 at 02:34 PM.

So, does this thread invalidate the what round for Grizzly thread since pigs have a better human body count this year?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I'm sure that a 147-grain 9mm would punch through a boar or sow skull, they aren't that heavily ossified. But if presented with only a side or angle shot, I'm not sure I'd trust the lighter bullet to penetrate as far as I would want.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=388

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I once got snuffled by a huge boar in the middle of the night in a sleeping bag. I don’t ever want to repeat that.
    Nope, nope nope nope.

Closest thing like that that’s happened to us is when one of my friends woke up to a coyote pissing on his head through a mesh tent wall. To this day he puts up the rain fly no matter the forecast or weather..
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 11-27-2019 at 06:52 PM.

User Tag List