Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feral Hogs Kill Woman In SE Texas

Feral Hogs Kill Woman In SE Texas

This is sad. A home health care worker was killed by feral hogs upon arrival at her clients’ home. At first only reported as “animal activity,” the story was updated to state that the medical examiner determined that feral hogs were the culprits.

https://abc13.com/feral-hogs-kill-wo...home-/5716849/
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Man, that's freaking horrible. She must not have noticed them before she got out of the car or something.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Damn.

This is the kind of thing that keeps me carrying a .45 or a .357 on my hip when in areas that are dense with feral hogs. Even small boars are in the 200+ pound range with some getting 500+ and some sows are 200-250 pounds and I wouldn't want to run against a sow with piglets that felt cornered.

I'm sure that a 147-grain 9mm would punch through a boar or sow skull, they aren't that heavily ossified. But if presented with only a side or angle shot, I'm not sure I'd trust the lighter bullet to penetrate as far as I would want. I don't see a lot of big boar hunting with anything smaller than a 10mm or a +P .45. A .45 Super JHP would probably work well.

Yikes.

Kinda a plus for a thirty round mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I believe the sheriff's account but am most surprised that the hogs were this near to a dwelling. I have never heard of such before. Could someone have been leaving out food for these animals causing them to lose their caution of avoiding people? Wild dog packs are dangerous and vicious. I would suspect them but not hogs. A friend traps wild hogs on his ranch. Once when shooting a trapped pig in the head, he observed that the first 9mm ball round bounced off the hog's head rather than enter. I do not know other details. He bought a 40.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I believe the sheriff's account but am most surprised that the hogs were this near to a dwelling. I have never heard of such before. Could someone have been leaving out food for these animals causing them to lose their caution of avoiding people?
    I wonder if she wasn't injured or passed out when they came upon her. I've known of them to get close to buildings and houses, and I've known them to kill dogs in a fight, but never really go after a human. Most of them time I think what people take as charges are just the hogs trying to un-ass the area. I think one wanted to hurt me, but we'd already put a hole or two in him.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I believe the sheriff's account but am most surprised that the hogs were this near to a dwelling. I have never heard of such before. Could someone have been leaving out food for these animals causing them to lose their caution of avoiding people? Wild dog packs are dangerous and vicious. I would suspect them but not hogs. A friend traps wild hogs on his ranch. Once when shooting a trapped pig in the head, he observed that the first 9mm ball round bounced off the hog's head rather than enter. I do not know other details. He bought a 40.

I occasionally get to go shoot hogs on a farm in a neighboring county. The hogs will actually come into a barn with humans present.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

When I was in the National Guard we watched a hog walk across our area while on the live fire range for Bradley IFVs. The hog went inside a vehicle with an open gate where two guys sleeping, started rooting through their trash bag, woke one of the troops who then chased it out of the track with his k-pot. The hog ran off about ten yards and stopped. He threw the first thing he was able to lay hands on, an unopened MRE pack at it and missed. The hog then picked it up and trotted off.

They are smarter than dogs and can be much more dangerous than a pack of feral dogs.

I’ve seen folks slaughter pigs with a .22. That .40 wouldn’t have been any more effective than a 9mm if the shot wasn’t placed correctly.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 11-26-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Feral hogs have little to no fear of humans and one should never underestimate them.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

This is absolutely terrible. This is a reminder that not all predators that go after humans in 2019 have two legs.

User Tag List