Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rifle reboring

I’ve done a bit a hunting with a 35 Whelen. Other than my hunting buddy telling me that he knows it’s me when I shoot because of the thump the bullet makes on contact, it’s not any different than a 30-06. Considering the .30 bullet technology, I would be surprised if the 06 wasn’t actually a better performer.

For hunting .30-06
    For fun I’d pick .35 Whelen over the .338/06 since the 35 has a SAAMI standard, while the 338 is a wildcat and I wouldn’t assume that the 338 A-square is up to code.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Another vote here for the 9.3X62, one of my favorite calibers. Essentially a .366-06, it’s a great example of the heavy bullet at moderate velocity school. It is versatile; there is factory ammo available from 232 to 320 grains. I’ve taken game from pigs to bison with it. Next year, I’m going back to Africa for buffalo, and the 9.3X62 will be my light rifle. Hunting kudu in buffalo country, I’d rather have a 286 grain Barnes bullet on tap than the 300WM 180 TTSX I used on plains game the last time I was over there. In a variety of rifles, I’ve found it to be an easy shooting, accurate caliber, super effective on game.

I’ve got two 9,3x62 rifles. It’s a great cartridge, accurate, doesn’t kick badly and put animals on the ground without drama. The majority of available projectiles are quite good for hunting. In two trips to So. Africa the largest animal I took was a Kudu. A friend went with me and the airline sent his ammo elsewhere. He found 9,3x62 ammo at a local gun shop.

Really, unless you have a special barrel contour it’s not that expensive to rebarrel. And if you aren’t happy with your new cartridge you can have a gun plumber screw the old one back on.

Flagging for @GJM, as I think he's into "Thumpers" and might have some experience with the various big calibers.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Many years ago, I had Cliff Lebounty rebore a Ruger .375 H&H that I hunted in Botswana with, into a .416 Remington. That .375 was heavy for that caliber and just right, or even a tad light for .416, and the project came out fine. I hunted with a .338-06 for nearly ten years. I also have a 9.3x62 built on a pre 64 model 70.

My experience is bullet technology has advanced so much, caliber has become almost unimportant, and small increments of diameter have diminishing returns in the hunting field. I think anything from 6.5-.300 is likely to get the job done, if you place the bullet in the right spot. I found the .270-.300 magnums to allow me to better place the bullet, as they shoot flatter than a .338-06/Whelen/9.3, and in situations like fog and snow where your range finder doesn’t work, flatter is better.

All that said, I love rifle projects, and you don’t need much of an excuse to start a new one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Okie, thanks for talking me off the ledge. I think I will go visit Bansner and get a new a stock for the 375 Ruger. I have too many projects to do. Maybe next year I will figure out what to do with the featherweight.

User Tag List