Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Accuracy Diagnosis/Target Selection

Re; wobble. 20 yrs ago just started shooting pistols so I read a lot and still do. Two things I remember were from a bullseye how to article but I think they still apply to us shooting groups. His 1st point was there is always wobble so forget about it and do NOT try to time your shot to fire as the sights move across the bullseye. Get the sights lined up and do a smooth trigger pull and you will be fine. Over time wobble will decrease so you will get better groups. 2nd point was about time and hand/arm steadiness. These numbers are not exact, and would vary by person etc, but give an overall idea. Starting the time your sights first align w/ the bulls eye 0-2 to 4 seconds you haven't calmed yet from the initial movement. From the 2 to 4 seconds out to maybe 15-18 seconds you will be at your steadiest. Beyond that steadiness drops off. With this in mind, when I am shooting slow fire at small or further away targets, I usually shoot 3-4 shots, relax, and shoot 3-4 more and so on. Obviously this only applies to that one style of shooting. One other thing that works for me is my first shot I will often use that 3rd sight picture where you put the front sight covering the bulls eye. Especially in DA, I kind of know I will jerk the trigger a little which will pull the shot low, so I aim a little high.

What's closer to human anatomy, an IDPA Target or a black bullseye?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    That's not really a relevant question, since what we're concerned with is marksmanship. Besides, I can flip the question - what's closer to the size of the actual vital target area on a person: an 8 inch circle or a 4 inch circle?

The whole point of shooting things like B8s or NRA-AP targets is to improve your marksmanship ability, so that when you need to make a shot on a real target you're not devoting computer cycles to thinking about the front sight or the trigger press.

Kyle Defoor talked about where on the body to target. The triangle formed by the nipples and sternal notch. That was his reasoning for B8s.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    That's not really a relevant question, since what we're concerned with is marksmanship. Besides, I can flip the question - what's closer to the size of the actual vital target area on a person: an 8 inch circle or a 4 inch circle?

The whole point of shooting things like B8s or NRA-AP targets is to improve your marksmanship ability, so that when you need to make a shot on a real target you're not devoting computer cycles to thinking about the front sight or the trigger press.
    I went back to the OP to make sure I didn't misread, and I didn't.

His accuracy is golden to 15 yards. He's worried about accuracy at distances that one would be hard pressed to legally defend a shot.

I stand on my point.

I went back to the OP to make sure I didn't misread, and I didn't.

His accuracy is golden to 15 yards. He's worried about accuracy at distances that one would be hard pressed to legally defend a shot.

I stand on my point.
    OP is concerned about improving his marksmanship skills. He didn’t mention personal defense. While that may or may not be his concern, since he asked a marksmanship question, we should address that question and not try and move the goalposts out of pedantry.

I understand that you may not have anything of value to contribute to a thread about marksmanship, so in that case why not take my father’s advice and simply say nothing?

He's worried about accuracy at distances that one would be hard pressed to legally defend a shot.
    "As you look at the news and recent attacks, you can see a clear trend of bad guys clueing in to the effectiveness of long guns. Whether the attack is on a church, a school, an event, or an office, the trendline suggests that the man or woman in a position to stop the next one may find themselves in a standoff fight using their handgun against a killer with a rifle or shotgun.

This radically alters the 'good enough' accuracy standards that most accept in training. Barely good enough at five yards translates to 'not even close' at standoff."

-Justin Dyal

https://www.swatmag.com/article/stan...ational-speed/

Site Supporter
    I may be wrong, but I've been attempting to operate on a two pronged approach, balancing 3-10 yard speed with greater precision at ranges beyond that, even adding a little speed pressure at 25, depending on circumstances.

After being in a church safety course a couple months ago, there is indeed some validity to being able to make accurate shots at more extended ranges.

In relation to the 25 yard freestyle shooting, I'm gathering the need for much more time taken in shooting that kind of shooting.

I may also be just weird, but I find it a fun challenge to shoot long range with a pistol.

User Tag List