Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tis the season. Lock ALL of your doors.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Do you think motion lights would be beneficial?

I'm just wondering if anything could be done to further deter bad guys, or avoid their return.

-Cory
    I'm looking at motion lights.
    Specifically I'm looking at the Arlo Smart Light as I can control it with my phone.
    Thanks for input!

I'm happy that nothing got taken AND very happy that they did not enter my house.
    I did contact the local PD and sent them the video. As someone suggested it may help them with someone else's stuff being stolen.

This is becoming an epidemic. I know someone who just had a breakin while they were gone. Stole a bunch of jewelry, a car and even some photos. I think they took the photos to do some ID forgery. Not seeing any other reason for that. The cost and time to recover for them is thousands of dollars. Had to replace a door and a car.

I'm pretty lucky living on the end of a dead end road in the sticks. There are 12 houses in my neighborhood and only one that wasn't occupied have ever been hit. This would be a very dangerous neighborhood for a would be robber. Cops are at least 10 minutes away so just about everyone watches out for their neighbor and would intervene. I wouldn't choose this neighborhood to score a few bucks. Could permanently end your drug habit.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-26-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    This is going on in my neighborhood and others nearby as well. Mostly unopened cars being searched, but some are broken into and one was stolen. Has been going on the past few years starting in November.

Don't leave your garage door opener remote in your car parked outside, or leave the remote option locked out when asleep or away. They've gotten into a few garages this way.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Motion lights can also illuminate me, at just the moment/place when I would rather it not not happen. I am not saying that motion lights are bad; just that they should be positioned with due care to tactical advantage.

My wife recently bought a portable motion light, with batteries that recharge each day with a solar panel. She positioned it so that the sensor only tripped when something was on the front porch, near the door. Well, that meant that I was being instantly illuminated when I stepped outside, at night. Sorry, I want the choice of whether I want to betray my position, to a potential attacker.

I think that she mostly wanted that motion light for arriving at home, at night. Well, OK, let’s add a light that be activated with her mobile phone, using the Home app, or similar tech.
    My garage motion light was hooked up to existing wiring which has an indoor switch.

Site Supporter
    There are reasons compelling people to move from the city to safer neighborhoods. Many who do fly away will be untruthful about the crime part. The crime part moves nearer to me each year. I'm too old to leave. My jobs as a teacher, correctional employee, and city health inspector showed me unmentionable aspects of the community. I say unmentionable because the crime topic is taboo. Broaching the subject makes people nervous. They fear being present in the midst of a politically sensitive conversation. Hence their defense is placing a negative label on the discussion. You might get by talking about crime at the jail. However, don't bring it up at city locations, churches, or at the school.

User Tag List