Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balisong / butterfly knives

There are so many easier ways to open a knife. The balisong is more or less a gimmick these days.

I'll just leave this here.

I picked up a Benchmade balisong factory 2nd for $30 over 15 years ago. I've carried it off and on ever since, but never as a primary knife. I don't see it as a suitable defensive knife given all the other options today, but it certainly is fun to just idly flip it around. I use it more like a stress ball than anything else, it keeps my hands busy when I'm thinking.

It was cool in the 80s, but now it's just a fun novelty. I don't regret buying it, and I still use it for things like opening boxes or cutting fruit in the office (much easier to just wash it out since it's all stainless), but it's nothing more than a utility knife.

The flashy moves will get a person killed. There are simple openings such as a latch drop or simple Single rotation opening. The problem you need to work through is how to carry, conceal and decide upon a design.

In an open sheath, latch less Balisong, I can open it up as fast as any knife I have. However, a t-latch would be slower. A spring latch even slower than that. The Balisong can be used as a defensive weapon like a Kubotan. However flashing the free handles will not be as effective as a pommel from the end or the tip of the blade. The Balisong has been given bad press and it is illegal in a few states such as MA, CA, NY. These were used by farmers in Europe such as Spain and France for once handed opening. Popularized From the Philippines by our GI veterans brought home by many during WWII. The 80s was popular during the era of Ninjas and Bruce Lee.

Automatics, assisted openers, folders and fixed blades are faster than a Balisong that has a latch

I collect Balisongs and I used to carry them for utility. My favorite carry knife in Florida was my Vold Steel Master Tanto with San Mai Steel in a 6" blade - not a balisong. Florida allowed the concealed carry of anything, from firesrms, to batons, to fixed blades, to automatic knives. Knives are not the best option for self defense. Hence my preference for firearms.

Any folder with a hole like a Spyderco or a thumb stud like a Gerber, Sebenza or whatever, can be opened as fast as an automatic. Fixed blades are fastest, in the appropriate sheath/scabbard. Effective blade lengths for fighting need to be at least 5" but ideally longer than that.

As much as I love my Balisongs, they're restricted to flipping. That is about it. There are some models that would definitely be useful fighting knives like a Rob Dalton Special Forces or Resistance 1 lb knife with a 6"-5" blade, a Rob Dalton Scourge with a pointed 6" blade, a Fred Perrin lucky 13 which is a 13" OAL scimitar appearing blade or others.

I have a few dozen Balisongs. Some high end ones I traded for firearms like my Colt Python, S&W Model 627, Saiga 12 Tactical, FNH Police tactical shotgun, Sig P220, Sig P238, Colt 1911 Mars Armament THUG, Beretta PX4 storm, Walther P22, to name a few.

Check out my YouTube channel if you want to see a variety of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I picked up a Benchmade balisong factory 2nd for $30 over 15 years ago. I've carried it off and on ever since, but never as a primary knife. I don't see it as a suitable defensive knife given all the other options today, but it certainly is fun to just idly flip it around. I use it more like a stress ball than anything else, it keeps my hands busy when I'm thinking.

It was cool in the 80s, but now it's just a fun novelty. I don't regret buying it, and I still use it for things like opening boxes or cutting fruit in the office (much easier to just wash it out since it's all stainless), but it's nothing more than a utility knife.
    There are plenty ways a balisong can be useful these days, there are survival knives and balisong that exist which you can take when camping for example as well!

Site Supporter
    Not a bad utility blade, but I have and use Spydercos in that niche.

Great fidget spinner for adults....

Not much else, other than nostalgia, to recommend it...

pat

Bali's are great when used for what they were intended for; one handed opening utility knife. Other than that, there are more practical knives out there these days. However, none of them are as cool or require as much talent if you want to start flipping them. The niche custom knife aspect is quite something too, lots of great bali's being built out there now with very good materials.

This is an amazing series, and he’s finally got one to sell.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is an amazing series, and he’s finally got one to sell.

That's pretty damn cool. It's obvious a lot of work went into that.

Chris

User Tag List