Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Times gone by questions For Peace Officers of 70s?

Times gone by questions For Peace Officers of 70s?

Gang,

What was the perception of those that were carrying concealed in the 70s, back when permits weren’t as prevalent? Was it tolerated, just not spoken about, no big deal etc. Reason I ask is really just out of curiosity. Recent thread I read elsewhere brought it to light. I can remember my grandfather and the older men who gathered on the benches in midcity mall in Louisville, all carried small .25s wrapped in handkerchiefs. They all calm quiet pensive gentlemen, but looking back on it my Grandad new something. Old wise men.

Dave

In the early 1970's I carried my issued .38 revolver in a swivel holster and a .22 Magnum Derringer in a back pocket. People with firearms in a rural area at the time were common, but someone open carrying in New Orleans, Baton Rouge or Shreveport was usually up to no good. Carrying concealed was not really an issue in this area at that time.
    Last edited by JBP55; 11-25-2019 at 08:00 PM.

In the late 70's I carried my 6.5" 357 in a swivel-holster and a J-frame .38 in a hip pocket. Medium sized college town. Concealed permits were rare. Even into the late 80's in a bigger town like Vegas, there were under 1200 concealed permits issued, and you had to have a really good reason or know the right person. Lots of "Special Deputies" back then too!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Well, in the very, very, very late 70s, I carried school books, a pen knife, and an original copy of the "Advanced D&D Monster Manual."

My dad, on the other hand, had his pick of several universities to move to, and he chose the one in WA state in large part because they were the first to have "shall issue" carry permits. All my friends’ dads had permits and guns, and the vast majority were tenure track university profs. Seems incredible, by today’s standards, but that’s the way it was. I knew where my best friend’s dad kept his PPK and flattop .357, and he knew where my dad kept his 36-1 chief and P38. And we all shot them on occasion.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

When I was a rook the old heads at fwpd would talk about old school ccw.

A story about a nurse who worked nights would walk to jps with her purse in one hand and a revolver in the other.

One of the guys that worked one on the first motor banks downtown said he saw so many guns on the front seats of the cars that he stopped noticing them.

My take away was that a decent honest law abiding citizen just trying to get thru life and not doing something stupid would get verbal counseling and would continue on with their life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a CCW story, but an indicator of the time: I was in junior high in the mid to late 70s. I had a Social Studies teacher named Mr. Johnson. Mr. Johnson kept a six-inch, .38 Special revolver in his desk in the classroom. A desk that was never locked. Everyone knew it was there and none of us ever thought of messing with it. Mr. Johnson was cool.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    When I was a rook the old heads at fwpd would talk about old school ccw.

A story about a nurse who worked nights would walk to jps with her purse in one hand and a revolver in the other.

One of the guys that worked one on the first motor banks downtown said he saw so many guns on the front seats of the cars that he stopped noticing them.

My take away was that a decent honest law abiding citizen just trying to get thru life and not doing something stupid would get verbal counseling and would continue on with their life.

Did you work for Fr. Worth?

Site Supporter
    I started as a cop in 1981.

At that time, around here, very few cops carried off duty on a regular basis. Many kept qualified with their Chief Special off duty revolver (that was the most common choice by far) and carried occasionally/situationally, but very few carried very often and many never carried an off duty gun.

(At that time I carried a 3 inch S&W 36 with Pachmayr rubber grips in a Safariland OWB holster and I carried a reload or two in Bianchi Speed Strips in an ammo pouch on my belt. I still have the revolver, the holster, and the ammo pouches but the speed strips got brittle after about 25 years so I had to replace them. I still keep qualified with that gun, though I usually carry a G43 for that purpose these days)

I know MANY more young cops now who carry on a fairly regular basis, many who carry situationally, and still many who never go armed off duty.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did you work for Fr. Worth?
    It’s Ft. Worth*, and yes.

*im just busting yer chops

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    It’s Ft. Worth*, and yes.

*im just busting yer chops

No no, Fr. Worth is an excellent priest, pro gun too!

Okay, yet another typo from me.

I’m going to PM you. Have a question about a “famous” FWPD guy I know.

User Tag List