Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Rimfire Can Cleaning

Site Supporter

Ruger Rimfire Can Cleaning

I've been neglectful of my can and it is now quite crusty inside. I soaked the SS baffles overnight in mineral spirits and got a good amount of carbon and such off, but there are still crusty deposits left to be cleaned.

I'm lazy and do not want to spend quality time with a pick. I was considering either my rotary tumbler with lemishine and detergent, what I use for brass, and hope for the best. Or, the same tumbler, but with SS pins or airgun BBs (the latter being cheap and easy). Or, invest in a Harbor Freight Ultrasonic Cleaner. But I'd have yet another piece of equipment to maintain...

Ruger suggests ultrasonic cleaning in difficult cases, for what it's worth.

What have all of you used (aside from not letting it go so long between cleanings)?

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 11-25-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Haven't tried it on a suppressor, but way back when I was autocrossing, Gunk Hydro Seal used to work great for cleaning all small metallic parts, particularly baked-on grime.

https://gunk.com/product/gunk-hydro-...s-cleaner-hs3/

Actually, this one might be better for small parts (has a dip basket so you can just dunk the parts into the container):

https://gunk.com/product/gunk-parts-...p-basket-cc3k/

I expect these are "more better" than they were a few decades ago, i.e., less likely to be injurious to the user or environment, but perhaps not quite as aggressive in cleaning.

Pins and tumbler, all day. I'm assuming that you don't want to do the dip.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This and the dip are your two best easy button options.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Nope, no desire to do the dip.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Haven't tried it on a suppressor, but way back when I was autocrossing, Gunk Hydro Seal used to work great for cleaning all small metallic parts, particularly baked-on grime.

https://gunk.com/product/gunk-hydro-...s-cleaner-hs3/

Actually, this one might be better for small parts (has a dip basket so you can just dunk the parts into the container):

https://gunk.com/product/gunk-parts-...p-basket-cc3k/

I expect these are "more better" than they were a few decades ago, i.e., less likely to be injurious to the user or environment, but perhaps not quite as aggressive in cleaning.
    Based on what I've been reading, once you get beyond a very superficial level of build-up, the dip is the only chemical method that works. After an all-night soak in mineral spirits, I don't see the Gunk products doing much.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Based on what I've been reading, once you get beyond a very superficial level of build-up, the dip is the only chemical method that works. After an all-night soak in mineral spirits, I don't see the Gunk products doing much.

Chris
    Yeah, I recall carb parts coming out sparkling. Even pistons with their tops encrusted in combustion products (largely carbon) out clean after a good soak. Just don't forget and put any O-rings or other rubber parts in it. Or get it on your hands - - - so a friend told me . . .

Pins and tumble for me, on the DA Mask.
    Taking a break from social media.

I use a dental pick: pick off the big chunks then clean and lubricate the threads and reassemble. Doesn’t have to be “like new” clean.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansohn Brothers View Post
    I use a dental pick: pick off the big chunks then clean and lubricate the threads and reassemble. Doesn’t have to be “like new” clean.
    I agree. I mostly just knock off the big chunks and keep the threads clean and lubricated. It takes a lot more fouling than I initially thought when I first started getting into cans to adversely affect sound reduction.

User Tag List