Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: To J-frame or not to J-frame

Site Supporter

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The S&W hard rubber boot grips on the 340 never did work for me.
    I have VZ 320s on all my J's.
    They fill out my hand better but are still low profile, the smooth texture also works out better in a pocket and against the skin AIWB.
    Made getting a grip and keeping a grip much easier, even with stout +P's in the AirLites.

Attachment 46401

Jody, my VZ grips arrived today - I opted for the Operator 2's in black. They are awesome and have made a huge improvement in my ability to 'get a grip". Now, there's that something about getting some live firing done.

Site Supporter
    In July I decided to go J-frame for a gun to carry when I can't carry a gun (thanks to the "snubby thread" for that idea). First try at the range with the 642 and I knew I had to do something about the sights. My gun smith (Kent Singletary) showed me a couple of his J-frames with Standard Dot XS front sights (Novak dovetails for 1911s) set neatly into the rib of the little 38s. I said, "Take it and fix it", and gave him the 642. By the time I got it back (he did an excellent job and also cleaned up the trigger) I had just had my right shoulder "reconstructed". That eventually healed enough to start dry firing, then I stress fractured one of the bones of the shoulder. Back in the sling for another 4 weeks. Dang, this J-frame thing is turning out to be hard to do (LOL).

Well I finally tried out pocket carry for the first time today. What a disaster. All I wear is jeans and the lump in my right front pocket is both very visible and very uncomfortable. Add to that it is very hard to get a grip on the gun, then pull it out of the pocket. Since I'm not prepared to completely change my wardrobe after a lifetime of wearing jeans, this J-frame may be up for sale or trade.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 01-04-2020 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    In July I decided to go J-frame for a gun to carry when I can't carry a gun (thanks to the "snubby thread" for that idea). First try at the range with the 642 and I knew I had to do something about the sights. My gun smith (Kent Singletary) showed me a couple of his J-frames with Standard Dot XS front sights (Novak dovetails for 1911s) set neatly into the rib of the little 38s. I said, "Take it and fix it", and gave him the 642. By the time I got it back (he did an excellent job and also cleaned up the trigger) I had just had my right shoulder "reconstructed". That eventually healed enough to start dry firing, then I stress fractured one of the bones of the shoulder. Back in the sling for another 4 weeks. Dang, this J-frame thing is turning out to be hard to do (LOL).

Well I finally tried out pocket carry for the first time today. What a disaster. All I wear is jeans and the lump in my right front pocket is both very visible and very uncomfortable. Add to that it is very hard to get a grip on the gun, then pull it out of the pocket. Since I'm not prepared to completely change my wardrobe after a lifetime of wearing jeans, this J-frame may be up for sale or trade.

Dave
    Would like to see a picture of that set up.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    I'd take a picture and show it to you if I could figure out how to post pictures on this forum. I get as far as them being in the proper window for posting, then I click on the little thingy that's supposed to make it happen and nothing. Zip, zero, and nada.

Dave

Two things:

As far as the lump in the jeans pocket, are you using a holster to keep the gun upright? How big are your jeans? I ask as I wear a 32 waist and not all jean pockets work for me as some are deeper / wider than others. An old trick from @Mas is to put some folded paper in your pocket in front of the gun to break tip the outline. I use junk mail now that airline tickets don't come in the perfect sized folder.

To post pictures, try using the "manage attachments " button below the post window. New window opens, click upload, browse to and select the pic on your computer.

In July I decided to go J-frame for a gun to carry when I can't carry a gun (thanks to the "snubby thread" for that idea).
    What had been your I can't carry a gun gun prior to the j frame?

Site Supporter
    To be honest, I either just carried anyway and kept a low profile or I just didn't go there. I'm old, retired, and live a simple life. I pretty much don't do stuff I don't want to do. (smile)

Dave

I'd take a picture and show it to you if I could figure out how to post pictures on this forum. I get as far as them being in the proper window for posting, then I click on the little thingy that's supposed to make it happen and nothing. Zip, zero, and nada.

Dave
    I wanna see the pictures too, I will Private Message my phone number and email, I will help post.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-05-2020 at 10:30 AM.

My gun smith (Kent Singletary) showed me a couple of his J-frames with Standard Dot XS front sights (Novak dovetails for 1911s) set neatly into the rib of the little 38s. I said, "Take it and fix it", and gave him the 642. … (he did an excellent job and also cleaned up the trigger)
    I'd take a picture and show it to you if I could figure out how to post pictures on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I wanna see the pictures too, I will Private Message my phone number and email, I will help post.
    Here are Dave's pictures and explanation:

The first picture was just for fun to show what I tried to carry. Ugh!
    Name:  Dave 642 1.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  47.4 KB

Second is obviously the dovetailed Novak front sight.
    Name:  Dave 642 2.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  53.1 KB

Last is the view from the back. The front is not as off center as it looks. The shadow in the grooved top strap creates that illusion.
    Name:  Dave 642 3.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  46.7 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Here are Dave's pictures and explanation:

The first picture was just for fun to show what I tried to carry. Ugh!
    Name:  Dave 642 1.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  47.4 KB

Second is obviously the dovetailed Novak front sight.
    Name:  Dave 642 2.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  53.1 KB

Last is the view from the back. The front is not as off center as it looks. The shadow in the grooved top strap creates that illusion.
    Name:  Dave 642 3.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  46.7 KB
    The Ergo grip doesn’t work with all pants. I’m experimenting with one at the moment, and while it is interesting, one thing is, just like with all grips on Js, there are pockets it works in and pockets it doesn’t.

User Tag List