Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To J-frame or not to J-frame

J frame choices...

Well I don't have the presence or seniority of the others who have replied before me on your quandary..but for what it's worth I only own two revolvers, and both are 340's, one is the MP you speak of, and the other is a PD. I really like that the 340 line uses titanium pivot pins and I've not heard of one single pin shearing ... I first acquired the MP and immediately felt it was a good fit for me, pocket carry is my daily routine. After a time the lust for lighter infected me and I bought a titanium cylinder and fitted the cylinder to the MP. Then the one is none infection set in..and PD followed shortly thereafter. I carry the PD every waking moment in my front pocket and have found nothing to make me want for anything different. I will say that in the end a tritium sight replaced the red ramp on the PD, after trying a hi viz and a plain black ramp along the way. This tritium sight I installed is a taller version of the stock one on the MP and in my hands hits point of aim a little better than the stock height tritium of the MP..I shoot and carry 135gr at just under 1000 fps. You have saved for this long..go get it, I'd have to concur with the others on handling the one your about to own before dropping the cash, look it over, you've waited a long time don't settle for anything less than perfect. Lastly if you plan on shooting magnums skip the lock.
    Last edited by Michpatriot; 11-25-2019 at 11:36 PM.

I've been using an M&P 340 frequently for several years now, and have had no issues with mine. The clincher was the sights, they are so much easier to see than my 642. It's easy to pocket carry, and with wadcutters reasonably tolerable to shoot. If repeating the decision I would buy another one.

As others have said, inspect before accepting. I've made it a habit to browse the revolvers in the display cases at the LGS and see how many clocked barrels and other flaws I can spot without ever touching the gun, and it's too many... but it's still a small percentage overall, and the serious stuff is often pretty obvious. It's mostly been on the high volume models but then it's fairly unusual to see a no-lock J-frame out on the shelf so small sample size, the very few spotted have been OK so far.
    Last edited by Salamander; 11-26-2019 at 12:21 AM.

@11B10 - Great for you! The MP340 is an awesome revolver. The guys upthread have probably covered most if not more than I ever have known or will know about J frames.

Since you said you were buying "one" revolver, I thought I would share some thoughts from my recent entry into the small wheel gun arena that might be helpful.

First, I was stunned at how useful a snubbie is. I started with a Desantis Nemesis, and then switched to an A-holster, for pocket carry. A snubby is just so darn easy to throw into your pants; walking the dog, quick trip to the store etc. I feel like it addresses the first rule of carry, namely, carry a gun. Having your hand on your snubby is really easy to do as well. I find on most trips to the fuel pump, besides increasing my SA, having my hand in my pocket (on my grip) is unnoticeable by every patron at the gas station. Really fantastic feeling and I was quite surprised by how useful my snubby is and continues to be.

Second, as far as caliber, I initially bought a snubby in .357, thinking the weight would help stabilize it against recoil. But, after getting good advice here and elsewhere, I chose to shoot exclusively .38 semi-wadcutter ammo. The relatively mild recoil of WC was another surprise. So much so, that I sold my heavier .357 snubby for an even lighter weight .38. The recoil impulse is virtually the same, but I am now carrying a lighter gun.

The other thing about .38 vs. .357 is the longer cartridge (or shorter cylinder of the .38). It wasn't until I shot a bunch of .38 out of the longer .357 cylinder that I noticed I was cleaning the front of the cylinder a lot. I'm not sure if there are any long-term effects of doing that (shooting .38 out of a .357 cylinder) and would defer to the experienced guys here. I do know the cylinder on my .357 snubby was fairly well black with powder that I could never quite get off.

For ammo itself, there are many good choices. From personal experience, a box of Mag-Tech was a bad choice; it was very smoky shooting and I did not enjoy taking it to the range. I ended up giving it all away. I then ended up with S&B WC for a while, which was fine. I then discovered Federal Gold Medal match, which I learned about on Luckygunner.com. It shoots to point of aim, and has enough zip based on the tests Mr. Chris Baker published that I feel good about using it for both carry and practice. It is not too dear; I purchase mine at targetsportsusa.com. For sure, you have to try a few brands and settle on what you like and what works in your snubby; there is a recent very useful thread on snubby ammo going which has a lot of good info.

Lastly, I joined a online club on snubbys and received a very useful pamphlet in the mail with a bunch of tips:

https://www.imwithroscoe.com/

Being pretty much self-taught on snubbies, I learned a lot from this.

Hope this helps. Good luck! I hope you enjoy the MP340; it is a sexy little beast!
    Last edited by RJ; 11-28-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I usually recommend a no lock 642 and an Apex kit for anyone looking for a simple economical package. If it is jacked up, S&W will fix it. I have a 638 with a slightly clocked barrel that I am
    Procrastinating on sending back, but I have no doubt S&W will fix it. I carry and travel with a used 642 often as it is fairly disposable to me. With that said, I really love the M&P 340 sights right out of the box.

I'm coming into the discussion late, but I don't think you are going to get any better recommendation than this.

Nothing wrong mechanically with the LCR, but it sears my eyeballs it is so ugly. I got rid of mine, Apex'd all my J-frames, and am as happy as a clam at high tide.

Site Supporter
    To all who posted - I'm not ignoring your feedback, just trying to digest it. RJ, I feel you are the closest to me in terms of, for lack of a better word, progression through this great, ongoing firearms education we're receiving here on PF. I have been very busy lately, but I did get an unexpected reply from a new, local FFL. I've found this particular revolver online for $659 (Smoky Mountains Guns & Ammo, thanks, blues!) - but, they're out of stock. This new/local FFL can have it in a week.....for $759. Decisions, decisions...

In the meantime, a couple questions for checking out revolvers in general. Besides cylinder lock up and barrel clocking, what should this newbie to revolvers be looking for?
    Last edited by 11B10; 11-30-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    I've found this particular revolver online for $659 (Smoky Mountains Guns & Ammo, thanks, blues!) - but, they're out of stock. This new/local FFL can have it in a week.....for $759. Decisions, decisions...

In the meantime, a couple questions for checking out revolvers in general. Besides cylinder lock up and barrel clocking, what should this newbie to revolvers be looking for?
    You're welcome.

Check here.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Does anyone have the correct sku for a no lock 340?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post

One resource worth reading through:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6F...wNmY4NzM2/view

(Jim March’s "revolver checkout")
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Does anyone have the correct sku for a no lock 340?

Check the link I posted just above for prices at various locales.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You're welcome.

Check here.

blues, thanks for providing those links - somehow, in my agitated state, I lost your original post with them.

AND....a huge thank to all "youse guys" - sometime tomorrow I've got to read up on the links you provided. Granddaughter 5 in January) arriving in a couple hours. That takes all my time and energy!

Is PF awesome or what?

User Tag List