Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To J-frame or not to J-frame

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I have a performance center 642 and its as smooth as any J frame I have ever owned. The PC is supposed to have a smoother trigger and is a no lock. I also figured quality control would be better. I have purchase a 642 and a 360J that had canted barrels or crown issues. S&W has gone above and beyond to fix each time costing me nothing but time.

Thanks to everyone who posted. Darryl, I appreciate you taking the time to post about this - one guy buying one revolver. They all appeal to me, but I'm really on the fence here because the issue before this has been money. That issue is now out of the picture. When I reread my op, I realized I left out some details. I have live fired most of them and dry fired all of the models described here (so far!). The advantages and disadvantages are obvious. The "common sense" part of me should have quit saving money when I reached $400 - $500, dictating which revolver, probably one of the 642 models. However, I kept trying out different ones (saving more $$ as time passed), always coming back to the M&P 340. What can I say - it speaks to me!

Having said all that, camsdaddy, would the one you're describing be SKU#178042? I am considering that one and SKU#163811, which is a 642 with Crimson Trace grips. More information - thanks!

Good, easily seen sights are extremely important to people of a certain age.

I recently bought a S&W 43c, in 22lr. It was good to go right out of the box. It has the big dot front sight and the action is smooth. It hits to the sights.

Site Supporter
    The model I have is 10186

Site Supporter
    I've got two 642 PCs and an M&P340 all purchased within the last 4 years. One 642 and the 340 had to go back for clocked barrels but I dare say the average consumer wouldn't have noticed. Turnaround from S&W was quick. I use the CT405s on one 642 and the 340 and an Apex kit in the 340.
    I do like the LCR and have had them in the past but the CT laser boot grip hurts too much to practice enough with. The pocket on the 405s help quite a bit in that regard.
    Adam

I bought a new Model 36 Classic last year, and it’s fine. It’s PRICEY, but it work dandy.

The sights alone make the M&P340 worth the extra money over the 642, in my opinion. The 340 is hard to beat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    The sights alone make the M&P340 worth the extra money over the 642, in my opinion. The 340 is hard to beat.

You all have probably figured out what I've been doing here (I've only just realized it myself) - trying to make one of the more inexpensive models work for me in place of the M&P340. Like substituting laser grips on a Pro Series/Performance Center 642. Don't get me wrong, that would be a really good choice, but, knowing myself, I'd always wonder what I was missing by picking it over the 340. I'll continue to keep reading your thoughts on this - as usual, every time I get on PF, I learn. Much appreciated!

11B10, I know how it is. Decisions, decisions. One of the guys I worked with carried a 340 off duty. I had to ask if he ever shot 357 in it. NOPE, just 38 +P. Anyway, my experience is mostly with the models 60, 640, 642 and 940. I never considered myself a snubby fan, but finally had to admit that these little 5-shooters are very darn practical. Anyway, I do carry one of the little Centennial revolvers a fair amount. Initially a 60, later a 640, occasionally the 940, and finally a no-lock 642. The last just because it is lighter. All have been trouble free. I notice there is quite a price difference between 642 and 340. And perhaps the slightly lighter weight and front sight does justify the higher price. I wouldn't argue the point. Just my experience with the more pedestrian model 642, that it is a practical little carry revolver at a reasonable price.

BTW, I handled a couple of the little Ruger LCR .38 revolvers. Light weight, and really smooth double action. Were I in the market, and didn't already have the S&Ws, I'd have to consider one of those...

It’s a J-frame thread, so I’ll try not to crap in it. That said, until recently, I had a pile of J-frames. Now, only the 3" iterations remain, and I have a Ruger LCR .38 with an XS big dot that I threw on top on me now. Sights matter. Otherwise, a good example of a 642 rules.

As to ‘smith fixing a turd, I sent my last J back twice, and then decided I wasn’t into a third trip. Data point of one, but I’m done with new Js, myself.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I usually recommend a no lock 642 and an Apex kit for anyone looking for a simple economical package. If it is jacked up, S&W will fix it. I have a 638 with a slightly clocked barrel that I am
    Procrastinating on sending back, but I have no doubt S&W will fix it. I carry and travel with a used 642 often as it is fairly disposable to me. With that said, I really love the M&P 340 sights right out of the box.
    Well, you just cemented my decision to invest in an Apex kit for my 642-1... I would love a M&P 340, but that's a bit out of reach right now.

User Tag List