Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To J-frame or not to J-frame

Site Supporter

To J-frame or not to J-frame

A couple years ago, I began saving money to buy a J-frame (retired/fixed income so it takes me awhile). At the time I began saving, the consensus here was that Smith and Wesson were, generally speaking, gtg. As a matter of fact, I remember reading a post from no less a J-frame (indeed, ALL revolvers) SME than Dagga Boy that THE J-frame to buy was the M&P340. I have shot a few, handled more and can appreciate the positive feedback. To be fair, the ones I live fired were not brand new, but were well broken in. Well, here I am, a couple years later and I've saved enough to buy one revolver (have been planning on the M&P340) and it seems the S&W brand has fallen into disfavor, to put it mildly. So far, I've only read about the lower priced J's having issues. Does the declining QC extend across all models, including the M&P340? I would appreciate any feedback, as long as it's the usual factual stuff I've come to rely on here at PF. You folks have me very spoiled.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    A couple years ago, I began saving money to buy a J-frame (retired/fixed income so it takes me awhile). At the time I began saving, the consensus here was that Smith and Wesson were, generally speaking, gtg. As a matter of fact, I remember reading a post from no less a J-frame (indeed, ALL revolvers) SME than Dagga Boy that THE J-frame to buy was the M&P340. I have shot a few, handled more and can appreciate the positive feedback. To be fair, the ones I live fired were not brand new, but were well broken in. Well, here I am, a couple years later and I've saved enough to buy one revolver (have been planning on the M&P340) and it seems the S&W brand has fallen into disfavor, to put it mildly. So far, I've only read about the lower priced J's having issues. Does the declining QC extend across all models, including the M&P340? I would appreciate any feedback, as long as it's the usual factual stuff I've come to rely on here at PF. You folks have me very spoiled.
    Don’t stress. Get one, or the equivalent LCR. If either is found to have a problem, the factory will fix it.

I will not dispute with Brother Dagga about his choice of the 340, as he has FAR more experience and years running Js, but I have been using a 642 for 15 years and have found exactly nothing about the gun to complain about besides that the finish has mostly worn off. Some loads aren’t fun to shoot in it, but all loads I have placed in the cylinder have fired and hit reasonably near where they were meant to. I can only imagine the 340 might be less fun to actually shoot, but the trade off is it will drag down your jammies and basketball shorts less.

642-1 gets no complaints from me. It doesn't have the nice front sight that the M&P 340 has, but the weight difference is insignificant (to me)...and the price is right.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

There have been some terrible examples that really didn't get fixed correctly, but I wonder how many bazillion of the things they have sold that might be fine. I would say my take on it is if you are going to get one at a retail establishment, where you can lay eyes on the one you are getting, maybe even one with a range where as soon as you buy it you could test fire it, you will probably be OK. Mail order might be rolling the dice.

ETA: That yeah, if you can swing the 340, and you are gonna have just one, the 340 is nice. I have five of the things (I may have some kind of problem...) and I am coming around to liking the 340 the best. At some point I might swap in the Ti cylinder out of the 360PD, dunno.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-24-2019 at 08:21 PM.

If you can buy local, at least you can eyeball it first. If you buy online, inspect before you accept the transfer. I have the 340PD model of the J-frame. I ordered it online and got a good one from the gitgo.

If you can shoot a J-frame before you purchase that would be great. The grip is small and a larger replacement grip may be in order. You may decide to continue looking after you shoot one or it may be just what you are looking for.

Site Supporter
    Another possibility is one of these police trade-in 642s. They're archetypal police revolvers - finish-challenged but hardly shot; the trigger on mine has smoothed up noticeably from the ~500 rounds I've put through it in the month since I bought it. Accuracy is pretty decent, too.

I usually recommend a no lock 642 and an Apex kit for anyone looking for a simple economical package. If it is jacked up, S&W will fix it. I have a 638 with a slightly clocked barrel that I am
    Procrastinating on sending back, but I have no doubt S&W will fix it. I carry and travel with a used 642 often as it is fairly disposable to me. With that said, I really love the M&P 340 sights right out of the box.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Another possibility is one of these police trade-in 642s.
    Wow, that is tempting, even for the guy that already has five...

And if you are handy you could do the glue on XS Big Dot like I did.

I have a performance center 642 and its as smooth as any J frame I have ever owned. The PC is supposed to have a smoother trigger and is a no lock. I also figured quality control would be better. I have purchase a 642 and a 360J that had canted barrels or crown issues. S&W has gone above and beyond to fix each time costing me nothing but time.

442-1 with Apex spring kit here loaded with 148gr wadcutters. It’s my EDC in a front pocket.

User Tag List