Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun safe advice needed ASAP

Site Supporter
    As a renter or even someone who frequently moves, a cabinet is the way.

No experience besides some you tube videos but another option could be:

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/

For storage or travel or anything else I always try to get something 20% bigger than I think I need.

I live in an apartment and use a cabinet and two Ridgid job boxes.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    As a renter or even someone who frequently moves, a cabinet is the way.

No experience besides some you tube videos but another option could be:

https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/

For storage or travel or anything else I always try to get something 20% bigger than I think I need.
    I am leaning towards those. 2x Model 52s would fit in the height requirements for my current closet and give me room for all of the longarms/pistols I need. Total plus accessories is ~ $1500 shipped but they are light, portable, and probably just about the highest-quality solution that makes sense until I own a home and can buy a large, heavy, real safe.

Going to sleep on it but they have great sales going on now. Probably will end up pulling the trigger on this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am leaning towards those. 2x Model 52s would fit in the height requirements for my current closet and give me room for all of the longarms/pistols I need. Total plus accessories is ~ $1500 shipped but they are light, portable, and probably just about the highest-quality solution that makes sense until I own a home and can buy a large, heavy, real safe.

Going to sleep on it but they have great sales going on now. Probably will end up pulling the trigger on this.

Glad it was helpful. I got a 700lb safe and I’ve had to unbolt it and muscle it around to fix water damage from an upstairs bathroom, helps that it is hardware floor but still.

I’ve looked at the Stack On stuff at Home Depot and it doesn’t scream quality. These seem better but all I know is from I internet research when I dreamed about replacing my safe.

Get us a picture when it is all installed.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Don't spend more money on a big-box store "Safe". Until you get into steel plate doors, they're really no more secure than the 100lbs Stack-On cabinet.
    Can you give examples to those safes that cross the line from basic stack-on cabinets to actual plate steel door safes?

I don’t have but just a couple rifles that have more sentimental value than anything but primary just handguns and ammo storage is what I’m looking for but don’t wanna break the bank in some of the safes I’ve looked at that get up into the several grand mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Here is an appealing option I came across - any experience here?

The model 52 series looks great but maybe a little small. However, weight and portability are there.
    Those are really interesting.

One thing they are correct about, capacity ratings on conventional gun sales are BS. They are designed around traditional style long guns without optics.

If you have a scopes conventional rifle or modern “assault” style rifle like an AR it takes up the space of two guns. If you have a modern “assault” style rifle with optics and other accessories it takes up the space of 3 guns or more.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    One thing they are correct about, capacity ratings on conventional gun sales are BS. They are designed around traditional style long guns without optics.
    I would say it is worse than that, in mine the notches in the rests are so close together operating handles on auto shotguns or bolts on bolt actions (opening them helps) interfere. I would say to fit the advertised count on most of them you would have to fill them exclusively with pump and over/under shotguns.

Banned
    The only thing I can really add to this discussion is the same thing I ad every time safes come up.

Look around on Craigslist and in the want ads and some of the gun form pages. I got a $700 used Liberty Centurion safe for 325 bucks that way

The keypad/lock would be my biggest concern if a cabinet is OK with you for now. Who makes it? Who can service it? Do they sell a replacement? If so, it's not on their website. Can it be replaced with a conventional type lock if it fails?

I ask because I have only seen it on their products with their branding, but it's probably made in China and just "branded" for them. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

In that price range and being easily portable I would take a look at the Z1 modular safe from Zanotti armor. Keep the boxes for when you move.
    Since you live in an apartment, no one will know you are bringing in a safe. They will think you just went to IKEA.

Name:  pallet-250x188.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  8.6 KB

https://zanottiarmor.com/safes/

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Can you give examples to those safes that cross the line from basic stack-on cabinets to actual plate steel door safes?

I don’t have but just a couple rifles that have more sentimental value than anything but primary just handguns and ammo storage is what I’m looking for but don’t wanna break the bank in some of the safes I’ve looked at that get up into the several grand mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fort Knox M1 (special order from C.E. Safes) or basically anything by AMSEC or Sturdy.

Security costs money. There's no way around that. Plate steel is expensive (in terms of both materiel and labor), which is why even most of Fort Knox safes use low quality sheet steel doors with low quality fit.

There's a few threads that predate your time here if you want to use the search function.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List