Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun safe advice needed ASAP

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Gun safe advice needed ASAP

Well, long story short, I own one of these two-door Stack-on gun security cabinets. This worked just fine up until this morning, as it is basically the ideal size for my closet (55" high, 32" wide, 13.5" deep).

However, it turns out I have too many long arms. When I closed the long arm cabinet this AM, the locking plate got jammed against the wall of the safe by my SBR's aimpoint, completely jamming the door itself. Tried everything to dislodge it non-destructively to no avail. Ended up having to pry-bar the door off (which, by the way, was MUCH harder than internet safe snobs make it out to be).

Anyway, things brings me to my point. I need a new safe. It also seems like this might be a good time to upgrade to a real safe and not a cabinet. However, I am a renter, and space in my apartment is at a premium right now. Here are what I see as my options:

1. Buy the same exact cabinet again. Not exactly keen to do this. ($330 for a safe that already catastrophically failed on me because it was too full....)
    2. Upgrade to a nicer safe and try to find the room. I have ... many pistols (~12-15, legimiately not sure) and 10 long arms. 5 of them are ARs with lights, bipods, etc.
    3. Buy this safe which is the same basic construction but 4" wider and 4.5" deeper, which would be the perfect size, but ultimately would not be much of an upgrade.
    4. Buy multiple safes.
    5. ?

Open to any suggestions. Hoping to spend under $1k but willing to stretch if I can find the ideal solution. I went to Cabela's on the way home from lab today and was told that they will be doing a Black Friday special on the Cabela's branded Liberty Freedom safe ($599 iirc) but they will have a very limited supply.

That said because currently my long arms are totally unsecured I am not going to quibble over deals too much. Hoping to spend under $1k but willing to stretch if I can find the ideal solution. Thanks all!
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-24-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Nephrology,
    Can you bolt the safe to the floor or wall of your apartment?
    Are you on the ground floor, or will you need to get the thing up steps?
    I strongly recommend a quality combination lock, ie SG whatever you select.
    With your budget you are looking at a residential security container, not a safe.
    AMSEC is my first choice but there are others worthy of consideration.
    Shumba

Quote Originally Posted by Shumba View Post
    Nephrology,
    Can you bolt the safe to the floor or wall of your apartment?
    Are you on the ground floor, or will you need to get the thing up steps?
    I strongly recommend a quality combination lock, ie SG whatever you select.
    With your budget you are looking at a residential security container, not a safe.
    AMSEC is my first choice but there are others worthy of consideration.
    Shumba
    On the ground floor right now, but as a renter this is a temporary circumstance.

I can bolt the safe to the wall - that is how my now-mangled cabinet is secured currently. Floor is wall to wall carpeting so can't really bolt it in place there without forfeiting my deposit.

Not opposed to another security cabinet - was surprisingly tough to break into. Took 30 mins with a prybar and hammer. Also wouldn't mind the weight/size ratio given I will certainly be moving again.

Makes option #3 more tempting... thanks for the input!

I have a Browning Pro-Steel Limited similar to the safe in the link except with a S&G dial lock. It's from 2014 and I found it on closeout for under $500.00. If you're creative (under shelf hangers) it can easily store 20+ handguns and about 15 long guns.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-..._reviews_title
    Last edited by FNFAN; 11-24-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

As a self-identifying safe snob, I say get another cabinet.

That's what I did while renting, simply because it's what was practical.

If you look beyond that, I would first check what the dealer network is like for your area before selecting a larger safe if you need help with moving and installation. I would rather have bought a Sturdy Safe for my house, but they don't have dealers here...….so since I wanted to keep the transport and installation in-house to a reputable locksmith company with vetted employees, I chose AMSEC.

YMMV.

Don't spend more money on a big-box store "Safe". Until you get into steel plate doors, they're really no more secure than the 100lbs Stack-On cabinet.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    As a self-identifying safe snob, I say get another cabinet.

That's what I did while renting, simply because it's what was practical.

If you look beyond that, I would first check what the dealer network is like for your area before selecting a larger safe if you need help with moving and installation. I would rather have bought a Sturdy Safe for my house, but they don't have dealers here...….so since I wanted to keep the transport and installation in-house to a reputable locksmith company with vetted employees, I chose AMSEC.

YMMV.

Don't spend more money on a big-box store "Safe". Until you get into steel plate doors, they're really no more secure than the 100lbs Stack-On cabinet.
    Here is an appealing option I came across - any experience here?

The model 52 series looks great but maybe a little small. However, weight and portability are there.

Those lightweight ones look interesting. It has to be light enough to carry in and out.

I created an "annex" by getting something like these:
    Name:  JobsiteBoxes.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  38.0 KB
    and you could probably put a couple of holes in it and lag bolt it to the wall? And it makes a nice table. I got an even cheaper one at Rural King, but it is kinda shitty. If all you have are ARs they might fit in one of the shorter ones.

I think it would solve the issue of having guns bind on the locking mechanism, but I don't have any personal experience about them to share.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

https://zanottiarmor.com/

https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/

Measure the door to the closet and pick the one that can't get through the door without disassembling it.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-24-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Sell everything that doesn't fit.

Worked for me

User Tag List