Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbery Intervention Gone Wrong: What can be Learned From This?

Robbery Intervention Gone Wrong: What can be Learned From This?

This incident occurred in my neck of the woods, and has had me reevaluate what my possible response to a situation like this would be. What can we learn from this incident? Was it right for the good guy to intervene the way that he did?

Story attached below:

https://abc13.com/video-shows-robber...illed/5714349/

Gunfights are dangerous. I am reminded of the inestimable Oscar Gamble's sage quote, "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

May he rest in peace, and May God Bless him for trying to do what he felt as right.

A steep learning curve for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Millenial Pistolero View Post
    What can we learn from this incident?
    If you're going to go one against two, you better be damned near GM levels of fast and accurate?

If it ain't your shit, let it go?

Hard to glean much more from that stellar reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    If you're going to go one against two, you better be damned near GM levels of fast and accurate?
    Off the X, cover/concealment? If they could centerpunch him without getting through a bunch of Les Paul and Stratocaster bodies, and a rack or two of rusty snapon socket sets and worn leather jackets first, then he was F.A.S.T.ing wrong. Still sucks; he sounds like my sort of people. May justice find the two dirtbags, soon.
    ”When antisemitism moves from the shameful fringe into the public square, it is not about Jews… it is about the surrounding society or the culture or the country. It is an early warning system—a sign that the society itself is breaking down. That it is dying.” -Bari Weiss

While it is easy to be critical of this incident, as we have the luxury of knowing the outcome, many of us, especially those of us who made a profession of actually hunting the worst predators that prey on the weak of society need to bear a couple things in mind;

After watching the video the first thought was "He should have kept his hands up and visible, to show (or give the illusion) he was not a threat to the two scumbags."

Even if to mentally have them orient themselves elsewhere.

That said,

Most of us who have hunted that particular 1% of the human race can relate to the mental process of looking at a person and pre-gaming your attack mode. Maybe not necessarily in this case, but thinking "I am going to leg sweep/face grab and drive this dude's head into the dirt, followed by knee drive to the Solar Plexus (thus ending 99% of crap before it becomes a knock down drag out)

Following my personal #1 rule of "where the head goes, the body follows".

Anyways, while I would like to think I would have not done anything, kept hands visible and let these guys do their bit, and let them walk, as long as they did not get physically violent, or start shooting, I also bear in mind that some of us are wired a certain way.

In the course of 20 years I have also personally been present during two convenience store episodes where a person decided that they were going to rob the place. Once while I was in uniform (as a brand new P.O.) and once while off duty, and with my partner, who's crazy ass literally put his 1911 on the glass counter top, pulled out some scratch lottery tickets scratching them and waited to see how I was going to handle the guy . I had already told the clerk to dial 911 and the local PD was running silent code to us. After the locals got there and grabbed him I was looking at my partner giving him that WTF! conversation that most guys here know and have had with co-workers. His reply was something to the effect of "I knew you had the guy so I was just going to watch and hang out with the girls (clerks)".
    That was one still makes me chuckle.

Anyways, this guy got in over his head and did not have a solid plan.

Somebody was faster and that unfortunately, was the end of his story.

Banned
    There was a story on ARFCOM (yes I am aware ARFCOM sucks)several years ago about one of their members who was robbed at gunpoint and engaged the robber.

Now in his case the robber had already herded them into a back room and laid them down on the floor and by everything I've ever been taught that's a REALLY not a good sign. So, he may have felt that he had no option.

Every time I read the story The main thing that I got from it is that The Instant the victim showed any resistance at all the robber shot him without The Slightest hesitation.

And that's something that I think about every time I even consider if I would intervene in a robbery.

That said, I've only even ever witnessed one robbery and I didn't even realize what I was seeing till it was over. The robber ran by me so fast that I couldn't even tell you what color he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Off the X, cover/concealment? If they could centerpunch him without getting through a bunch of Les Paul and Stratocaster bodies, and a rack or two of rusty snapon socket sets and worn leather jackets first, then he was F.A.S.T.ing wrong. Still sucks; he sounds like my sort of people. May justice find the two dirtbags, soon.
    Hard to say from the video. From what I could see it seems he tried to engage once they were behind the counter. Meaning the shitbags had partial concealment and he appears to be standing in the middle of the aisle.

It went down fast for sure.

It's cliche, and also very unfortunate, the BadGuy(s) always get a vote.

Quite difficult to tell from the video what exactly was going on. Getting distance, backing down that aisle - even a bit, might well have been a better idea and had some benefit. Might.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Off the X, cover/concealment...
    Neither of which would stop a “sleeper” customer or hidden assailant behind the Samaritan. This happened in a WalMart not long ago, and the permit holder died in that incident as well.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List