Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P320?

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I had one yesterday on my bench for inspection.....recent 10/2020 build. It was one of the better assembled copies I've serviced but it did have just a slight amount of brownish corrosion looking substance deep in the FCU on the sear pin. No biggie as it wasn't hard to remove but that is the first time I've seen corrosion in a new build.

There was MUCH less of the white grease packed in this pistol. This was one of the 15 round models similar to the one my son bought at the 400.00 mark (on sale pre panic days). Not sure what the owner of this one paid for his. Basic sights model.

Attachment 63938

Attachment 63939
    Hey lwt16, I have a question for you. As an armorer who has worked on a bunch of P320's, what is your opinion of the striker block design of the P320? It's quite different than the other striker/firing pin blocks that Sig has used. I can see some potential issues with it, but I'm not a professional, and it would be nice to have a professional opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by roboster2013 View Post
    Hey lwt16, I have a question for you. As an armorer who has worked on a bunch of P320's, what is your opinion of the striker block design of the P320? It's quite different than the other striker/firing pin blocks that Sig has used. I can see some potential issues with it, but I'm not a professional, and it would be nice to have a professional opinion.
    I'm not an engineer even though that was my original major way back in 1988. Had I not had the normal distractions of an 18 year old lad, I might have continued on that path and been able to give you a professional opinion on the design. I fear that as an armorer, I am merely skilled in disassembly and reassembly of the thing and that I'm really not able to give an opinion on the design of the striker block.

What I can say is that the one copy that we had that did fire in it's holster was poorly assembled with an older type sear that allowed the sear springs to cross within the FCU. That copy had other issues as well. Most of who I spoke with at corporate were less than helpful aside from one LE rep that was concerned.

We still have two in the house. We consider them range toys.

Regards.

Would I trust a P-320 ? It isn't so much a matter of trust, more of my own opinion that there are better SFA pistols out there if I wanted one. Given the issues with the P320 it would be last on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I'm not an engineer even though that was my original major way back in 1988. Had I not had the normal distractions of an 18 year old lad, I might have continued on that path and been able to give you a professional opinion on the design. I fear that as an armorer, I am merely skilled in disassembly and reassembly of the thing and that I'm really not able to give an opinion on the design of the striker block.

What I can say is that the one copy that we had that did fire in it's holster was poorly assembled with an older type sear that allowed the sear springs to cross within the FCU. That copy had other issues as well. Most of who I spoke with at corporate were less than helpful aside from one LE rep that was concerned.

We still have two in the house. We consider them range toys.

Regards.
    Thanks for the reply. I recall the picture you posted in another thread with the crossed sear springs. That's unfortunate that most of the folks at Sig were less than helpful. I understand all about "the normal distractions of an 18 year old lad", except that mine were about a decade earlier during the roaring 70's.

I am neither an engineer nor a P320 armorer. So perhaps my thoughts don't add much but this thread was started over a year ago and while I would like to think that Sig has improved its quality control and/or cleared out all the old mix n' match parts by now, who knows? The lack of clarity about the issues and solutions and whether appropriate remedies have been instituted is still concerning, and enough so that I am aware of at least one department that has removed the P320 from the approved roster. I am one of the few around this forum who is not a Sig hater, but that is based on older guns, and not due to any fanboy loyalty or love for the company. Bottom line...I feel like there is nothing the P320 can do that a Glock or M&P cannot do in a similar price range, and without the drama and uncertainty. I hope the P320 problems are over, or soon will be, but have no confidence in that at this moment in time.

I follow this thread in the hope that eventually someone will come along and credibly say the current guns are all assembled and running right and good to go. I would not mind buying one to play with if the time comes that I can do so with some measure of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Design - The design does seem to have some interesting choices. Sig now has a watch maker's love of small springs. I suspect that a lot of this was driven by keeping the FCU small. Sig does have some specific guidelines they are clear about. They recommend the striker assembly be replaced at 20,000 rounds (apparently live or dry). The assemblies are reasonably priced and having a few on hand if you're a high round count shooter isn't onerous.
    Apropos that, the absurdly small springs are both in the striker assembly. As much as I can tell, that design goes all the way back to P220 and followed an evolutionary path through P226 and P250 to P320 (as much as I can tell -- I see other people upthread saying they are completely different). The FCU used to have four springs, of which only three remain. Neither of them is particularly small.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Really? Even with the firing pin positioning pins and the funky pin they put in the E2 slide? I've taken apart a lot of classic Sigs and can say I find the P320 much easier overall. The parts in the P320 are smaller and possibly more psychologically intimidating but once you understand the right assembly/disassembly order, its quite simple. The class is worth it for the tips and tricks.
    I think you hit upon a factor there- “psychologically intimidating” is very well put.

I’m a mechanical engineer, have designed products- some far more complex than these firearms- for 30 years now, so I’m comfortable around these things- but I still find the 320 chassis to require more care in reassembly, despite the easier access on all sides.

Everything’s relative though. I once stripped down and reassembled the movement on an Omega Seamaster, and did a valve check on a VTEC Honda VFR. Neither comes close to working on a 320
    Last edited by Archer1440; 12-03-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Was the P250 this complex?

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    I am neither an engineer nor a P320 armorer. So perhaps my thoughts don't add much but this thread was started over a year ago and while I would like to think that Sig has improved its quality control and/or cleared out all the old mix n' match parts by now, who knows? The lack of clarity about the issues and solutions and whether appropriate remedies have been instituted is still concerning, and enough so that I am aware of at least one department that has removed the P320 from the approved roster. I am one of the few around this forum who is not a Sig hater, but that is based on older guns, and not due to any fanboy loyalty or love for the company. Bottom line...I feel like there is nothing the P320 can do that a Glock or M&P cannot do in a similar price range, and without the drama and uncertainty. I hope the P320 problems are over, or soon will be, but have no confidence in that at this moment in time.

I follow this thread in the hope that eventually someone will come along and credibly say the current guns are all assembled and running right and good to go. I would not mind buying one to play with if the time comes that I can do so with some measure of confidence.
    I don't consider myself a Sig hater. I have several Sigs (Mostly P22* series), and I like them quite a bit. However, I do have serious safety questions regarding the P320, and unfortunately Sig hasn't been particularly forthcoming regarding the possible issues with the P320. Speaking only for myself, before I invest in the platform, I am going to have to be confident that the platform is indeed safe. I can't say that about the P320 at this juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Was the P250 this complex?
    I'm not sure how to gauge the complexity; it certainly was less successful, having famously failed the BATFE testing in 2010 and the Dutch police cancelling their contract in 2011.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List