Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P320?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Do most series 70 guns now come with titanium firing pins and extra power firing pin springs?

I put both in my series 1 Kimber after I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Colt does. I don't know about the other manufacturers, but I think Springfield does or at least did.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I think many 1911s now use the lighter 9mm/.38 super firing pins to enhance drop safety. Whether they are also made from titanium I think differs between manufacturers.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The July 2020 lawsuit filing uses that "uncommanded" language. It is imprecise lawyer bull shit.

There are either Negligent Discharges where the operator causes the gun to fire by what they did or failed to do or there are Accidental Discharges where the gun fires due to a mechanical failure.

It sounds like you are concerned about ADs. It's a legitimate concern.

I raise the issue because in the July 2020 lawsuit filing they used the "uncommanded' language to inflate the AD numbers by mixing in verified NDs.

If this is going to get sorted out precise language is important
    "It is imprecise lawyer bull shit." I like that. You don't mean to say that you think that an esteemed Barrister would be less than forthcoming with the facts in the pursuit of litigation, do you? I used "uncommanded" because that was the language used in the suit. But you are correct, I am concerned with the ADs. While they probably represent a minority of the cited incidents, there are incidents that do appear to be legitimate ADs. It appears that the root of the problem may lie with the striker assembly/striker block. If Maj Villani's findings as reported in paragraph 99 bear any resemblance to reality, that could be significant. Additionally, I read elsewhere where the striker block is 0.9mm thick including the tab that engages the striker, and only requires ~1.09mm of upward movement to allow the striker to move forward. I think it is also interesting to note that this type striker block is only seen in the P320, and when Sig subsequently produced the P365, they used the type of block used their classic P series firearms. It will be interesting to see what comes out of all of this.
    Last edited by roboster2013; 11-28-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Do most series 70 guns now come with titanium firing pins and extra power firing pin springs?
    There are so many manufacturers these days, it’d be hard say and for sure some may not. A reputable builder building a defense use 1911 absolutely should use this. Also consider some guns are not targeted for such use (even though they still may use it). A good example would be Springfield, where the Professional is intended for defense use, whereas the TGO is not.

I’ve personally seen a couple of titanium firing pins chip and know of many others.

A titanium firing pin is an absolute no-go in any 1911 I would carry.

I have fit a lot of EGW steel pins to replace titanium.

With a Wolff extra power spring there is plenty of safety built in.

On the subject of the 320?

The convoluted debacle this company and pistol has been since it’s introduction is enough to kill any interest I’ve had in it off and on.

I’ve been the biggest Sig basher. Thought the p320 was a cheap Hail Mary to salvage the awful p250. Bought one recently though along with a p365. So far they’ve been good. Pretty impressed with how the p320 shoots. Trigger is good but heavy. I think I’m going to send it to the Sig Armorer to get it a little lighter.

That’s a big con compared to Glocks and being able to change connectors and springs myself. I’ll keep shooting them and probably get an X5 legion to mess with too.

Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    I’ve been the biggest Sig basher. Thought the p320 was a cheap Hail Mary to salvage the awful p250. Bought one recently though along with a p365. So far they’ve been good. Pretty impressed with how the p320 shoots. Trigger is good but heavy. I think I’m going to send it to the Sig Armorer to get it a little lighter.

That’s a big con compared to Glocks and being able to change connectors and springs myself. I’ll keep shooting them and probably get an X5 legion to mess with too.
    The Sig Armorer trigger can be excellent. Be sure to think which pull you want as the competition level on mine was an exact 3.2lb. they have a carry level job but I believe you can contact them if you want something in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    The Sig Armorer trigger can be excellent. Be sure to think which pull you want as the competition level on mine was an exact 3.2lb. they have a carry level job but I believe you can contact them if you want something in between.
    Cool. I like 4lbs roughly on a carry trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Seeing as Sig doesn't recommend even trained LE armorers attempt to disassemble and replace the tiny components in the FCU, I doubt there's much after market potential.

Hell, on the MHS contract, when a pistol looks like it's got an FCU failure of some sort, the procedure is to return the pistol, in total, to Sig for 1:1 replacement (hence the availability of "previously issued" M17s).

Again, I really WANT the P320 to work over the long term. There's not a snowball's chance in Hades that our uniformed service members will get out from under the M17/M18 for the next 20 years, barring some truly epic catastrophe with the pistols. And I don't think any of us want to see that happen...
    Should have continued with Phase 2 of the MHS testing and chose the 19X...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My strong suspiscions are that when a P320 is returned to SIG for issues relating to the FCU, rather than repair, the entire FCU is simply just replaced; probably based on time/cost effectiveness. However, if I'm indeed correct in my suspiscions, that'll present some interesting potential issues, as the FCU is the serialized portion of the platform...

That plays into my concerns that the P320 is in effect a disposable gun. And concerns for long-term durability. And a reaffirmation for, say, Glock's simplicity, durability and maintainability...

I'm wondering if that's behind those "surplus" M17s that hit the market a couple of months ago...

Best, Jon

User Tag List