Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P320?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    IndoMIM still makes a huge percentage of the parts for the P320, including most of the fiddly bits in the FCU.
    Well... THAT sucks! [emoji53][emoji50][emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like an opportunity exists for someone like Apex Tactical to replace the MIM components with proper CNC components from forgings.

Question is: how many would purchase these components and what would you be willing to pay???

Despite our ongoing, and well-earned skepticism of SIG's previous component quality and QC, perhaps we ought to step back and assess if there really is a problem with current production P320s.

Generally, we're a pretty objective and experienced group here, with some eminently qualified shooters/instructors/rangemasters/armorers and organizational leaders and higher volume/intensity shooters.

We can certainly debate the relative merits of MIM, Indian MIM, Brazilian MIM, US MIM et al-but in actual empirical use, both individually and organizationally, where and how are contemporary P320s stacking up?

I kinda have a dog in this fight (albeit one fortuitously and unintentionally acquired), but I'm prepared to give it a fair shake-and am in fact doing so.

I'm not prepared to personally feel compelled to go (or recommend) the aftermarket route to "make things right" if there is not a demonstrative and systemic need established. At this point, I'm not thinking things are comparable to, say, the 9mm Gen 1 M&P situation...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Looks like an opportunity exists for someone like Apex Tactical to replace the MIM components with proper CNC components from forgings.

Question is: how many would purchase these components and what would you be willing to pay???

Seeing as Sig doesn't recommend even trained LE armorers attempt to disassemble and replace the tiny components in the FCU, I doubt there's much after market potential.

Hell, on the MHS contract, when a pistol looks like it's got an FCU failure of some sort, the procedure is to return the pistol, in total, to Sig for 1:1 replacement (hence the availability of "previously issued" M17s).

Again, I really WANT the P320 to work over the long term. There's not a snowball's chance in Hades that our uniformed service members will get out from under the M17/M18 for the next 20 years, barring some truly epic catastrophe with the pistols. And I don't think any of us want to see that happen...

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Despite our ongoing, and well-earned skepticism of SIG's previous component quality and QC, perhaps we ought to step back and assess if there really is a problem with current production P320s.

Generally, we're a pretty objective and experienced group here, with some eminently qualified shooters/instructors/rangemasters/armorers and organizational leaders and higher volume/intensity shooters.

We can certainly debate the relative merits of MIM, Indian MIM, Brazilian MIM, US MIM et al-but in actual empirical use, both individually and organizationally, where and how are contemporary P320s stacking up?

I kinda have a dog in this fight (albeit one fortuitously and unintentionally acquired), but I'm prepared to give it a fair shake-and am in fact doing so.

I'm not prepared to personally feel compelled to go (or recommend) the aftermarket route to "make things right" if there is not a demonstrative and systemic need established. At this point, I'm not thinking things are comparable to, say, the 9mm Gen 1 M&P situation...

Best, Jon
    As one of the more strident Sig critics here, I actually agree. I won't be buying a P320 myself because I want to speak with my wallet and support other companies, but I think it's fair to say the series is starting to hit a good stride and a P320 is probably a highly reliable pistol option off the shelf at this point. For the soldiers and agencies carrying them, I do hope that continues.

...I'll even suppress my pride enough to admit I kinda want an M18.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Best, Jon
    I don’t disagree with you Jon. But I would like to see Sig make a drastic change in their customer support. Bad guns will get out there from any company and I’m willing to give Sig a pass on that to a point. But they have such a terrible reputation for not standing behind their products that I just can’t talk myself into buying anything new from them.

I was a huge Sig fan. Their TDA guns are still my favorite guns of all time. But they shit on my dad when an early 320 wouldn’t hold a group at 15 yards (he was a previous LEO armorer on P220’s and that didn’t help his case). Then they shit on me when a P320 I owned kept blowing out cases. That was a few years ago so maybe they just had a bad string of employees. But I haven’t read anything that would cause me to change my opinion of them.

I really want to try an X-compact and an X-carry in a bad way. I would love to have a couple of 226’s and P220’s around again. But I just don’t trust Sig to be there for me if I need their help.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I can say that I had, and continue to receive ongoing superb support from SIG; particularly from their Marketing/Media support and our Regional LEO representative. I've known the LEO rep in particular for over a decade, so I see his hire as a very encouraging sign; he has impeccable integrity and true customer/client/organizational support imbued in his actions which I've continuously observed first-hand over the years.

Both individuals are exceptionally product knowledgeable as well as support oriented.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I adore the DESIGN CONCEPT of the P320.
    I don't like the mechanism. Too many small parts. When I pulled the striker out, it was an unpleasant surprise to find 2 small springs, one of which is so small that I cannot even see it, unless under the magnifying glass. Is this supposed to be a gun or a watch?

The chassis idea is great and ZEV is showing Glock how it could be done. I'm ambivalent on the additional linkage that lets you strip the gun without pulling the trigger. It's a clever solution for a problem that does not actually exist. Although if we must, it's better than stupid tricks with the rear plate that Glock 46 and Mossberg are doing.

Overall, I would never buy a SIG if Glock made a gun that fit my hand. The only reason I have one is its oblong grip.

I can say that I had, and continue to receive ongoing superb support from SIG; particularly from their Marketing/Media support and our Regional LEO representative. I've known the LEO rep in particular for over a decade, so I see his hire as a very encouraging sign; he has impeccable integrity and true customer/client/organizational support imbued in his actions which I've continuously observed first-hand over the years.

Both individuals are exceptionally product knowledgeable as well as support oriented.

Best, Jon
    I'll continue to hope that they can turn it around then. At the end of the day, the only way to really know is through personal experience.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I carried a P320C for over a year

I carried a P320C for a while. It was a fine pistol, I just never shot it as well as I did my P226 Dark Elite.

However, it's a moot point to me now. I haven't carried anything besides a Shadow Systems MR918 since it's first range trip. I'll likely sell the P320C.

User Tag List