Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P320?

Would I trust a P320? Maybe? They got a lot of attention, plus the DoD contract/scrutiny, so I think they probably got the engineering right eventually.

I guess I'm wondering why I'd give it a second look when there are so many other options out there.

I have a P320 FS, but I don't shoot it very much. My VP9, PPQ, and 2011s are more fun to shoot, handle better, and haven't given me reason to question them. Or make me feel like I'm a beta tester who paid for the "privilege".

You won't find many, if any, in support of anything Sig here. You can tell by my post count I don't post often (or at all) but I read here frequently. My feeling is, unless you have something important to contribute, keep your mouth shut.

Having had a P320 since 2017 and 35k rounds through it to date, I have not had any issues other than needing to replace recoil springs and sending it in for the slide and disconnector "upgrade". The same can be said for the P365 I purchased last year in April. It only has about 6k rounds through it but I have not had any issues with it either, including the failure to return to battery and striker issues others have reported.

Both of these firearms have performed well. I do not hesitate carrying either one with me, which I can also say about my gen 3 G19 and G17 which are of course great pistols.

A lot of the hate for Sig also stems from the perception of their poor business practices. Regarding their marketing related practices, I don't know why people get so worked up over a business trying to make money and stay in business. Many seem to think it's better to not market at all and just expect to buy your product based on it being under the glass at the gun shop.

My one concern with Sig is what some call using consumers as "beta testers" by pushing out a product so that we can find out what isn't working, and then create a new model or "upgrade" to fix it. I don't like the idea of being a beta tester either, at the same time, I appreciate their willingness to listen and make changes. They have also been very quick to innovate by introducing things like the P365 and X-series of P320's. A common modern business strategy is to create a product you can bring to market quickly, and then improve from there. A "minimum viable product" type of approach, which is fine for software, but not so much for a defensive firearm many will trust their life with and the lives of their family members/squad members.

Just remember that most here don't really appreciate Sig and have been long-time users of other platforms (Glock, HK, Berretta DA/SA, etc.) and may have a confirmation bias they may not be aware of, regardless of how much they try to say otherwise.

it's an interesting design
    mine have been reliable and accurate
    I am able to shoot them fine but when speeding up I find the trigger requires far more attention to detail than other more forgiving SFAs
    if I were selecting an SFA (thank god I don't have to) it would be a glock or perhaps APX

with regards to the P320, when I took armorer course in NH I recall being puzzled how the sear resets without a disconnector. I brought this up but was told the platform doesn't need them...well I guess they learned otherwise!

two objective reasons I am annoying with Sig and thus got out of the P320s:
    1) with the "upgrade" Sig's machining of the slide to facilitate the disconnector function resulted in two odd consequences:
    a) the OOB disconnector does not function
    b) the sear does not reset to upward position until the slide is fully rearward in its cycle

I found both of these issues unacceptable particularly the introduction of a safety mechanism that is not functional. once i pointed this out to Sig I magically had all 3 of my slides replaced by Sig. it's BS that a customer has to push a manufacturer to do what is obviously right...replace parts that are anything less than 100%.

2) with the new sear disconnector and OOB disconnect, my armorer manual and course learning are out-of-date. Sig should offer us either a free or heavily discounted course, or better off send us a new armorer manual with some electronic method to learn the new platform.

I wouldn’t trust anything with a SIG SAUER rollmark, including the P-320.

I know enough about business management to realize decisions like “Dropgate” don’t happen in a vacuum. A well led company knows profit is earned by gaining and retaining customers. It is NOT the goal of the organization.

Profit is in fact a byproduct of making happy customers. But if that metric becomes the only goal, it leads to all kinds of strife and havoc. Hell, you don’t even need a customer to have profit- just cut your expenses enough, or invent customers by creating fraudulent transactions or inventory management. It’s unethical and will kill your org, but the short term profit metrics look good!

When management of a company decides its metrics are more important then healthy or happy customers, it points to a systemic decision process around that philosophy. What other “dropgate” skeletons lurk in Sigs closet we don’t know about? The P320s just the most visible of Sigs multitude of SKUs. Since their corporate legal and product resolution team are now the same department, I’m done with the House of Sauer.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 11-24-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I live in CT as well. I’m wondering what the issue with owning a Glock is?
    Oh I’ve had them in the past and always had reliability issues with the 10 round mags. I’ve read about other people doing much more extensive testing than I have and coming up with the same issues. If I could find it I would link it.

Quote Originally Posted by zpelletier View Post
    Oh I’ve had them in the past and always had reliability issues with the 10 round mags. I’ve read about other people doing much more extensive testing than I have and coming up with the same issues. If I could find it I would link it.
    I’m fairly sure that was resolved with a different follower. Though I could be wrong I just happened to browse a thread about it a while ago.

Paging @Larry Sellers, I know he has experience with this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    I do, but I don't recommend them to anyone. The examples in my possession have performed just fine. I don't think they'll spontaneously discharge...anymore.
    Same boat here. I have repeatedly wished that they did not seem like they were custom made for my hand. No other pistol I have tried indexes as naturally, yet still allows me to reach all of the controls without breaking my grip. The form factor has dramatically improved my WHO shooting due to trigger reach and grip shape.

I have ordered the Agency tabbed trigger to solve one problem, now I have to worry about the OOB disconnector issue. FML...

I will migrate back to HK if "optics ready" ever becomes a thing, and would recommend HK to the OP.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 11-24-2019 at 03:37 PM.

No.

I think the guns are junk and Sig is a despicable company.

I would not, based on knowledge and experience of Sig's utter and complete lack of QC and basic morals as a company. I LOVE the design of the P320, but I don't trust Sig to make them correctly. The one (X-Carry) that I had went back to Sig twice in two months for warranty repair (after some fighting), then went down the road with full disclosure because I just won't trust it.

On top of that, fuck Cohen and his total lack of morality.

No, I would not trust a P320.

In fact, for the most part, I have an innate distrust of most new striker guns. The fact that the P320, PPQ, VP9, FN 509 can all drop the striker with a sharp rap is a enough for me to say, "No." It appears the APX and M&P 2.0 are better, but I'm cautious.

Then again, you're talking to a guy whose preference is to carry a gun that was designed almost 110 years ago. So...I'm not exactly a guy who is fast to trust or adopt anything.

User Tag List