Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P320?

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Milwaukee PD is the latest high profile agency to adopt the P320 for all personnel, help me understand why they are trusting it when none of the posters in this thread do?
    The department had their selection criteria, and a certain product satisfies them. Trust does not enter the process. Only the mean number of shots fired before failure and the tests passing (including drop tests).

This whole topic is just absurd. Do I trust my Glocks? Absolutely not. They are mechanical devices that can fail. There's only a probability of that failure with a certain use.

I trust my P320 CC, it has always worked perfectly for me. I went the "responsible gunowner" route and sent it in for the update, even though I didn't believe it needed it. The drop issue could only be duplicated by making a special sling in order to suspend the pistol at just the right angle, at the right height in order to work. There are still a large number of guns out there that are not drop safe because they don't have a firing pin block, but few people seem to notice that little tidbit. Series 70 1911s come to mind first. Put an older S&W revolver in the same sling the P320 is being crucified on and do the same thing. Even some of the later S&Ws with the firing pin block can fire because that flimsy little piece of mild steel generously called a hammer block can break, and some of them actually have broken. BTW, I also own and have owned a large number of the two examples I mentioned, and will continue to buy as many of them as I can afford. They're machines, none of them can be infallible, and none of them will ever be infallible.

The best safety of all is between our ears.

Now, the part about SIG management being a bunch of greedy asses. Okay, you got me there..., aren't they all?
    Last edited by 358156hp; 12-08-2019 at 08:01 PM.

CWM11B
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    ... The drop issue could only be duplicated by making a special sling in order to suspend the pistol at just the right angle, at the right height in order to work...l?
    Where did you get this information? I only ask because it is flat out wrong. I've seen it done with a drop on to concrete from below shoulder height.

The drop issue could only be duplicated by making a special sling in order to suspend the pistol at just the right angle, at the right height in order to work.
    As has been pointed out elsewhere, that’s factually incorrect. Furthermore, the issue came to light because an officer was injured.

Series 70 1911s come to mind first.
    What is important to me about the way the 320 fails is that it goes off when the rear of the slide is struck. If that’s from a drop, under normal circumstances that means the muzzle is pointed at the user. That’s why the officer was injured. With an S70, the gun will go off (if it has a steel firing pin and a weak fp spring) if it is dropped on its muzzle. While that’s not safe, it’s a lot better.

Which includes making good choices. If SIG hasn’t yet admitted that they made and sold a gun with a deadly defect, what else aren’t they telling us? Are there really no better choices?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Where did you get this information? I only ask because it is flat out wrong. I've seen it done with a drop on to concrete from below shoulder height.
    This ^^^^.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    There are still a large number of guns out there that are not drop safe because they don't have a firing pin block, but few people seem to notice that little tidbit. Series 70 1911s come to mind first. Put an older S&W revolver in the same sling the P320 is being crucified on and do the same thing. Even some of the later S&Ws with the firing pin block can fire because that flimsy little piece of mild steel generously called a hammer block can break, and some of them actually have broken. BTW, I also own and have owned a large number of the two examples I mentioned, and will continue to buy as many of them as I can afford. They're machines, none of them can be infallible, and none of them will ever be infallible.

Now, the part about SIG management being a bunch of greedy asses. Okay, you got me there..., aren't they all?
    Not all guns are drop safe so we should be satisfied choosing a non-drop safe gun? Pass. I'll go ahead and choose one of the myriad drop safe options.

You're correct the best safety is between our ears. Part of that is confronting the fact we are not infallible. I can drop things. Ask my last cell phone.

I've no idea where you're getting this sling information from. Several real world injuries have resulted from the pre-"voluntary upgrade" guns, including some Sig knew about well before it became public.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I trust my P320 CC, it has always worked perfectly for me. I went the "responsible gunowner" route and sent it in for the update, even though I didn't believe it needed it. The drop issue could only be duplicated by making a special sling in order to suspend the pistol at just the right angle, at the right height in order to work. There are still a large number of guns out there that are not drop safe because they don't have a firing pin block, but few people seem to notice that little tidbit. Series 70 1911s come to mind first. Put an older S&W revolver in the same sling the P320 is being crucified on and do the same thing. Even some of the later S&Ws with the firing pin block can fire because that flimsy little piece of mild steel generously called a hammer block can break, and some of them actually have broken. BTW, I also own and have owned a large number of the two examples I mentioned, and will continue to buy as many of them as I can afford. They're machines, none of them can be infallible, and none of them will ever be infallible.

In order to get a Series 70 1911 to fail as spectacularly as a Pre-voluntary upgrade P320, more parts have to mechanically fail. Can it happen? Sure, but it’s quite a bit less likely.

I still think that a thumb safety-less P320 needs at least a trigger safety and I honestly would prefer both on that platform. So I’ll use the safety between my ears to make the better decision to buy, maintain, and carry something else.

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    All LEA Pistols sold are discounted. Glock has no monopoly on that.
    Yep.

Some manufacturers (not Glock) have even been know to do a 1 for 1 swap of old pistols for new pistols, aka: free guns just so they don’t loose that agency’s contract.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Watching Outdoors videos. They showed it quite clearly. One point they made was that the rear of the frame and the rear of the slide had to hit simultaneously.

Last edited by 358156hp; 12-09-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    In order to get a Series 70 1911 to fail as spectacularly as a Pre-voluntary upgrade P320, more parts have to mechanically fail. Can it happen? Sure, but it’s quite a bit less likely.

I still think that a thumb safety-less P320 needs at least a trigger safety and I honestly would prefer both on that platform. So I’ll use the safety between my ears to make the better decision to buy, maintain, and carry something else.
    Drop it so it strikes the ground muzzle first. No firing pin block in the Series 70s, but Colt has been trashed ever since they changed over to the Series 80 with a firing pin block. So now they offer both.

One suggested solution was to go to a lightweight firing pin and a heavier firing pin spring.

User Tag List