Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P320?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Nice to have resources! Our SWAT guys would be switching guns twice a year on that schedule. Our armorers have gotten better at educating our high round counts shooters on preventative maintenance. We've been breaking the 226 .40s at an accelerated rate.....cracking the frames under the grip, right side under the tang. Sig had modified the frame here to have one frame to accommodate both the traditional and DAK trigger bar, which required removing some metal. Apparently created a weak point which is showing up on our .40s. The newer guns, after they discontinued the DAK system, are beefier in that area. But we've broken everything that can be broken on a P series gun....even locking blocks.
    The guns that hit 10k or break are either re-built or converted into Red guns or blue SIMS guns.

It’s kind of a welfare program for our national armory. We have a field Armorer program and try to keep the guns of SRT guys etc properly maintained. The most common issue has been the takedown levers which goes away when the recoils paring is changed. However, I’ve had at least one SRT guy (who should have known better) who ran a 229 to about 25k without a recoil spring change and broke the nose off the spring box on the slide. Haven’t seen many frame cracks in the 229 DAKs.

If y’all are looking at P320s see if they can get you one of the DHS SKU models. They are the ones we issue and the only ones authorized for POW carry. My understanding is the primary difference is the internals have the same coatings as the actual M17/18 gun’s. I can tell you I have seen multiple issues with commercial P320s including my own two expels but the GOV contract guns have been 100% so far. If Glock can supply M models to state and local LE agencies SIG should be motivated do the same with the DHS SKU.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-04-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The guns that hit 10k or break are either re-built or converted into Red guns or blue SIMS guns.

It’s kind of a welfare program for our national armory. We have a field Armorer program and try to keep the guns of SRT guys etc properly maintained. The most common issue has been the takedown levers which goes away when the recoils paring is changed. However, I’ve had at least one SRT guy (who should have known better) who ran a 229 to about 25k without a recoil spring change and broke the nose off the spring box on the slide. Haven’t seen many frame cracks in the 229 DAKs.

If y’all are looking at P320s see if they can get you one of the DHS SKU models. They are the ones we issue and the only ones authorized for POW carry. My understanding is the primary difference is the internals have the same coatings as the actual M17/18 gun’s. I can tell you I have seen multiple issues with commercial P320s including my own two expels but the GOV contract guns have been 100% so far. If Glock can supply M models to state and local LE agencies SIG should be motivated do the same with the DHS SKU.
    Sig has indicated a willingness to work with us on building exactly what we want in terms of feature set. Not sure if the LE 320 Pro series guns also have the milspec internal coatings or not. They are nice shooting, accurate pistols, and the samples I've seen have been 100% reliable so far....but this is over the course of a few thousand rounds only. Not at all sure how they'll fare at 20,000 rounds.

On a separate but related note.....the M&P 2.0 we have for T&E ran for 17 rounds without a hitch....with a Sig 320 mag mistakenly loaded into it by a non shooter officer. Didn't lock back the slide on empty, but shot without a hitch. Nice.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-04-2020 at 07:10 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Sig has indicated a willingness to work with us on building exactly what we want in terms of feature set. Not sure if the LE 320 Pro series guns also have the milspec internal coatings or not. They are nice shooting, accurate pistols, and the samples I've seen have been 100% reliable so far....but this is over the course of a few thousand rounds only. Not at all sure how they'll fare at 20,000 rounds.

On a separate but related note.....the M&P 2.0 we have for T&E ran for 17 rounds without a hitch....with a Sig 320 mag mistakenly loaded into it by a non shooter officer. Didn't lock back the slide on empty, but shot without a hitch. Nice.

That’s a great story. lol

We are getting a new chief. As of now there is no issued pistol and you can carry almost anything you want.

My concern is that this will change. Hopefully it doesn’t but if it does, then I am rooting for the M&P 2.0 or Gen 5 Glock.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 01-04-2020 at 07:12 PM.

I have a friend who is a serious Sig LE dealer. The DHS guns are locked up tighter than a nun's ass.

Request needs to come from an ICE e-mail address per Proven Outfitters.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I have a friend who is a serious Sig LE dealer. The DHS guns are locked up tighter than a nun's ass.

Request needs to come from an ICE e-mail address per Proven Outfitters.
    There are two designated distributors for ice officers to buy personally owned DHS SKU POW. I’m well aware of that. That is for individuals. It has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

2200 guns is enough for SIG to make whatever they want.

If need be they can assign it a new SKU number and sell it to AMC’s PD as the AMC PD SKU gun.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-04-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    There are two designated distributors for ice officers to buy personally owned DHS SKU POW. I’m well aware of that. That is for individuals. It has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.

2200 guns is enough for SIG to make whatever they want.

If need be they can assign it a new SKU number and sell it to AMC’s PD as the AMC PD SKU gun.
    That is exactly what we were discussing. Same thing we did with our P226's. 2200+ guns is enough for some extra consideration when you buy. But who knows.....we may get stuck with Ruger SR9's. Our city's purchasing folks flat out don't understand that buying guns and ammunition is not like buying light bulbs and toilet paper at Costco. You can't just buy the Kirkland store brand.

Site Supporter
    That is exactly what we were discussing. Same thing we did with our P226's. 2200+ guns is enough for some extra consideration when you buy. But who knows.....we may get stuck with Ruger SR9's. Our city's purchasing folks flat out don't understand that buying guns and ammunition is not like buying light bulbs and toilet paper at Costco. You can't just buy the Kirkland store brand.
    A mysterious roll (different brand) of what seems to be soiled toilet paper appeared in the men's restroom. No one has touched it yet, though I am thinking of gloving up and disposing of the disturbing object.

Back on topic....

Are your P226s DAK or DA/SA? Are DAK guns even an agency option now?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    A mysterious roll (different brand) of what seems to be soiled toilet paper appeared in the men's restroom. No one has touched it yet, though I am thinking of gloving up and disposing of the disturbing object.

Back on topic....

Are your P226s DAK or DA/SA? Are DAK guns even an agency option now?
    They are DA/SA. I don't believe DAK is any kind of option for a new gun at this point. I believe Sig stopped manufacturing DAK guns. We were very seriously looking at just going to 9mm P226's. No conversion course, same holsters and mag pouches, etc. Trying to deal with Sig on that plan was less than ideal. They very clearly don't want to be selling agencies the P series classic guns anymore. Sad because a legacy slide P226 9mm with an SRT is a badass gun.

Site Supporter
    They are DA/SA. I don't believe DAK is any kind of option for a new gun at this point. I believe Sig stopped manufacturing DAK guns. We were very seriously looking at just going to 9mm P226's. No conversion course, same holsters and mag pouches, etc. Trying to deal with Sig on that plan was less than ideal. They very clearly don't want to be selling agencies the P series classic guns anymore. Sad because a legacy slide P226 9mm with an SRT is a badass gun.

Kind of surprising. With that amount of guns, it seems like a good deal for Sig.

Is your off duty carry policy permissive of what you carry?

My wish is that the CZ P-07 takes off and gets all the support you need to sell it to a major agency. I live in reality though.

User Tag List