Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P320?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    IIRC, the ATF trials considered that each time the gun didn't lock open on empty, it was a failure even though it was obvious shooter's thumbs were resting on the slide catch lever. The more damning condemnation of the P250 was their failed adoption by the FAMS. They sent something like five guns to each field office to get reactions. None of the P250's could hold up to the 357 Sig.
    The GAO report discussed both 'shooter induced' and 'gun induced' stoppages in the BATFE testing. Even tossing out the shooter induced malfunctions, the pistol had demonstrable reliability issues.

In addition to the agents' rating sheets, a record was kept of any stoppages or malfunctions that occurred during the live fire testing.[3] These records show that ATF's agents recorded 58 stoppages with Sig Sauer's full-size and compact pistols, 13 of which were considered to be gun-induced and 45 shooter-induced.[4] Id., Tab 2, Competitive Range Determination, at 3.[5] In contrast, the agents recorded a total of 16 shooter‑induced stoppages for Smith & Wesson's guns and 7 shooter-induced stoppages for Glock's guns. There were no gun-induced stoppages recorded for the Smith & Wesson or Glock guns. Id., Tab 8, Contracting Officer's Smith & Wesson Evaluation Summary, and Tab 9, Contracting Officer's Glock Evaluation Summary.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    If John Hearne, lwt, or some other armorer I trusted looked over my specific 320, I'd trust it. Absent that, mine remains a safe queen. I like the operation and capabilities of the pistol, but I don't trust SigSauer.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    How many agencies are carrying the VP-9?
    Japan special forces recently replaced their SIG 220 pistols (which were built in Japan under license) with the VP9, 7 police agencies in Germany issue it (including GSG9), six different US police agencies issue or allow the use of it (including Las Vegas) and at least three other countries issue it to military or police including Switzerland, Luxembourg and Turkey.

Obviously a lot less overall than the P320 series pistols, but then again it’s probably twice the price with the deal SIG gives to agencies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    VP9 did the forced mag-drop/no trigger pull for takedown a year before the P320. Much better trigger than any of my 4 P320’s as well, including the two that were fettled by GG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Japan special forces recently replaced their SIG 220 pistols (which were built in Japan under license) with the VP9, 7 police agencies in Germany issue it (including GSG9), six different US police agencies issue or allow the use of it (including Las Vegas) and at least three other countries issue it to military or police including Switzerland, Luxembourg and Turkey.

Obviously a lot less overall than the P320 series pistols, but then again it’s probably twice the price with the deal SIG gives to agencies.
    The Japanese self defense forces, in other words the entire Japanese military, adopted the VP-9 rather than just their special forces.

@John Hearne mentioned the Texas DPS testing which followed their debacle with the S&W M&P. A few things worked against the VP9:

It was a 15 round gun competing with 17 round guns from Glock, SIG and S&W.

The paddle mag release was seen as a training / transition issue. My own experience in an agency which went from button Berettas to paddle HKs and then button SIGs indicates it was not really an issue. In the last few years we saw agencies write requirements for 17 round capacity, no paddle mag releases etc designed to exclude the VP9 from consideration.

Regardless HK was late with button mag releases, 17 round mags and optics ready guns so the institutional market passed them by.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Japanese self defense forces, in other words the entire Japanese military, adopted the VP-9 rather than just their special forces.
    Absolutely correct, somehow I short-circuited “self defense forces” to “special forces” while typing. Thanks for the assist.

(It is a slightly embarrassing error, as I have worked extensively with their archery team at their garrison in Tokyo.)
    Last edited by Archer1440; 12-06-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Site Supporter
    A little necro on this post. But has anyone here experienced an out of battery discharge with the 320? I am seeing a lot on Instagram etc. about FOBs with 320s.

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    A little necro on this post. But has anyone here experienced an out of battery discharge with the 320? I am seeing a lot on Instagram etc. about FOBs with 320s.
    I saw one in a Legion three weeks ago, in a fellow competitor's pistol. No damage.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

No I wouldn’t. Ill never buy another Sig even though I really like the 365 Macro series. Just cant get behind a Sig anymore.

Would I trust a P320
    Nope …

WaPo has an article on the Sig P320 lawsuits.

You have to consider the source, but there is a video of the discharge that wounded a Mass detective. She clearly doesn't have her hand on the gun, but it's not apparent if there was anything in the bag that could have pulled the trigger.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List