Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire rifle for girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    That is a big scope. You are more adept than I in scoping these rifles and at the same time being able to maintain a cheek weld. Share with us your best groups and the ammo brand that your rifle prefers.
    Best group thus far is 1.4" at 100 using CCI Standard Velocity. I haven't played with it much as I've decided I need a scope with some form of BDC on it. I'm not much of a precision shooter but I do enjoy the process of trying to shoot tiny little groups.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I have several Ruger 10/22s, and they're great rifles. If I were buying one today, I'd get a T/CR 22. It has much better sights and a scope rail integrated into the receiver. I have aftermarket rails on my 10/22s, and that adds up. In addition, the T/CR stock is upgraded over standard Ruger stocks. Those three factors are well worth the price, since you'd have to do that anyways to your 10/22.

I also have a CZ 455, and shot a Ruger American 22 while with my son at Scout camp. The CZ is clearly in a different league compared to the Ruger. The CZ was superior in every respect (and should be, for the price difference).

Ruger 22

Bought this for my wife a few months ago. She doesn't have any problems with its size. She's 5' 3". She actually prefers not to use the scope!

Name:  IMG_0157.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  49.7 KB

It's after Christmas, so what did you get her?

You said she's into "lite" prepping. About the only preppery thing I have is a Ruger 10/22 takedown in a Mag-Pul Backpacker stock. Perfect for tossing into another pack and not obviously carrying a firearm.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It's after Christmas, so what did you get her?

You said she's into "lite" prepping. About the only preppery thing I have is a Ruger 10/22 takedown in a Mag-Pul Backpacker stock. Perfect for tossing into another pack and not obviously carrying a firearm.
    Ended up going with wood stocked 10/22 carbine. ~$200 shipped on gunbroker. Inexpensive and checked all the boxes - had her take a look and make sure it was exactly what she wanted before I clicked purchase.

Still have yet to take her out but she is excited! Brings me lots of joy to see her genuinely interested in hitting the range with me. Worth every penny

Next up is a rimfire scope - maybe for her birthday this summer. Very interested in the Leupold VX rimfire model mentioned here - seems like just the ticket.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-05-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Ended up going with wood stocked 10/22 carbine. ~$200 shipped on gunbroker. Inexpensive and checked all the boxes - had her take a look and make sure it was exactly what she wanted before I clicked purchase.

Still have yet to take her out but she is excited! Brings me lots of joy to see her genuinely interested in hitting the range with me. Worth every penny

Next up is a rimfire scope - maybe for her birthday this summer. Very interested in the Leupold VX rimfire model mentioned here - seems like just the ticket.
    one thing I've found with the basic 10/22 is the drop at the stock is so extreme it makes it difficult to maintain a proper cheek weld while looking through a scope.

You may find it needs to be built up a bit...or get a better stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    one thing I've found with the basic 10/22 is the drop at the stock is so extreme it makes it difficult to maintain a proper cheek weld while looking through a scope.

You may find it needs to be built up a bit...or get a better stock.
    Good to know! She is very enamored with the idea of a 'classic' rifle (wood stock, blued steel) so I may see if I can find one with a Monte Carlo comb or such when the time comes. For now she'll shoot irons as she learns the basics of marksmanship/gun ownership.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-05-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Good to know! She is very enamored with the idea of a 'classic' rifle (wood stock, blued steel) so I may see if I can find one with a Monte Carlo comb or such when the time comes. For now she'll shoot irons as she learns the basics of marksmanship/gun ownership.
    Whatever you do...don't go to the Rimfire Central forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Whatever you do...don't go to the Rimfire Central forums...
    good thing it's her gun and not mine... otherwise my wallet would be in for a serious beating.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-05-2020 at 06:37 PM.

If you're at all concerned with aesthetics and matching the scope to the rifle, then no, I don't think you can do any better than the Leupold VX Rimfire--and I'm a Vortex guy. I want to suggest something with exposed turrets, or that could be moved to an AR or a beginner's bolt-action centerfire, but everything I can think of would be either ugly, or useless on a rifle that you'd maybe want to take small game with. And really, that's just the bittervet in me that insists on that stuff.

Have you considered a strap-on cheek riser? I think it'd be money better-spent than sidegrading to a different wood stock:

https://triadtactical.com/triad-stock-pad/

Or something in leather, if that's your fetish.

User Tag List