Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rimfire rifle for girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I despise the Ruger American for the safety not locking the bolt. You basically can't carry it on your back without the bolt opening.

Fine for a range rifle, deal breaker for a woods rifle. May as well just get a 10/22.
    That is the one thing I don’t like about it.

I would probably grab a 10/22 and look no further, but for the sake of interesting discussion, you may want to add the Tikka T1x to you list of things to look at.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    I would probably grab a 10/22 and look no further, but for the sake of interesting discussion, you may want to add the Tikka T1x to you list of things to look at.
    I agree that a semi-auto would be more fun for a new shooter. But I bought a T1X a few months ago and it is stupidly accurate and fun, but it's probably on the upper end $$$-wise for a starter gun.

I topped it with a relatively cheap Vortex Crossfire II and did a quick sponge-paint camo job on the stock (I also added the Tikka wide forend, grip and buttpad from the T3).

It does this all day long...

Let my 16 y.o. play with it the other day...4" plate/100 yds.

Last edited by kwb377; 11-23-2019 at 08:02 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Excellent idea. I'm holding out for them to make it in stainless with a 16.5-inch threaded barrel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Attachment 45163Browning Buckmark rifle and then you can add on the pistol at a later time.

There are bound to be some Buck Mark deals in the next week. I've seen a leaked Bass Pro/Cabela's ad on gun.deals that suggests $50 rebate for Buck Mark pistols. And $100 on the 1911-380.

I'd have a Buck Mark rifle if I could get past the price. Accuracy reports seem to be less stellar than CZs. I like the pistols quite a bit. Was thinking about suggesting one in this thread. If Academy drops the price for their house-spec Buck Marks to $299 black $329 stainless, and there's a $50 rebate, that's hard to beat.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There are bound to be some Buck Mark deals in the next week. I've seen a leaked Bass Pro/Cabela's ad on gun.deals that suggests $50 rebate for Buck Mark pistols. And $100 on the 1911-380.

I'd have a Buck Mark rifle if I could get past the price. Accuracy reports seem to be less stellar than CZs. I like the pistols quite a bit. Was thinking about suggesting one in this thread. If Academy drops the price for their house-spec Buck Marks to $299 black $329 stainless, and there's a $50 rebate, that's hard to beat.
    The only real advantage of the Buckmark rifle is sharing mags with the pistols. The rifles are never seen at the upper levels of any of the rimfire games like the pistols, which ought to be a clue. From what I've been told by a couple of rimfire race gun builders, there's also no parts that swap between the rifle and pistol.

With all those potential negatives, I still want a Buckmark rifle just because.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    From what I've been told by a couple of rimfire race gun builders, there's also no parts that swap between the rifle and pistol.
    My understanding is the barrel interface is different, so you can't put a pistol barrel on the rifle receiver and make an SBR. But I thought all the moving parts were the same.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    My understanding is the barrel interface is different, so you can't put a pistol barrel on the rifle receiver and make an SBR. But I thought all the moving parts were the same.
    I won't argue the point. I asked about building one for the Rimfire Challenge and was told there was a dearth of parts for the rifles and it would involve a lot of custom parts being built. The 10/22 was suggested as a better alternative to build off of.

It's quite possible that it was easier and cheaper for him to build a 10/22 for the same retail cost and with a lot less effort.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I'd look for a clean pre-remlin Marlin 60. Everybody should have a tube fed 22 rifle because they're cool and the freedom haters grandfather them in their master disarmament plans.

User Tag List