Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rimfire rifle for girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Re: 10/22s, is there anything I need to know about older models? Purely for economic reasons the 10/22 is very appealing. Lots of used ones in the $100-200 range. Any vintages that are good/bad?
    Lots of good info here. Just remember that it's not Pistol Forum. You have to sort through the info. I think it is individual rifle rather than vintage. I hear that Ruger CS is good. You can find brand new for around $200.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...isplay.php?f=9

CZ info here. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=18

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    also - What's the word on the Ruger American .22LRs?

Re: 10/22s, is there anything I need to know about older models? Purely for economic reasons the 10/22 is very appealing. Lots of used ones in the $100-200 range. Any vintages that are good/bad?
    I simply don’t know enough about the 10/22 world—which is seriously extensive—to be able to voice an opinion. I can say that there is a spread of well over 20 years between my takedown (last year) and my folding stock version—bought well-used over a decade ago. Both run well. More electronic ink has been spilled over the 10/22 in enthusiast forums than any gun this side of the 1911 or AR, with the benefit that people often run 1000s of rounds through their 10/22 before writing, so there is that. Only caveat I’ve seen is to use decent (copper coated) ammo; I guess the cheap lead nose can foul things up as the round count increases.

Honestly, while I’m sort of all horny for that small game in .22mag, if I didn’t already have a variety of inherited old .22LRs—and a couple of 10/22s—I wouldn’t buy anything other than a 10/22 first. Get one for each of you while you can. My 10/22s (and my almost century-old Browning takedown, too) are now "assault weapons" in my state, with registration and training hoops to jump through. Stacking up 4 Rugers, and an ammo box full of the hyper-proven rotary magazines is not a bad idea these days. If you need more motivation to start collecting, scope out the price of a 5k brick of even the decent ammo. Coming from a centerfire pistol perspective, it’s like free entertainment. I’ve spent more on dinner on occasion than a 5k brick of ammo costs. Plus, appleseed shoots...

https://appleseedinfo.org/

https://blog.gunassociation.org/tips...ng-like-a-top/
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

10/22 and CZ are great options. My CZ bolt actions are my favorite rifles. I have tens of thousands of rounds on a 452 Lux with iron sights. I really learned how to actually shoot on that rifle. Bought it when I was in college, went to 2 Appleseed events with it, scored rifleman both times. Took countless squirrels in the woods. Always reach for it when I need to do some recreational plinking.

My wife is pretty small stature. About 90 lbs and just under 5ft. She vastly prefers shooting the M&P 15-22 because the LOP is so short with the stock fully collapsed. She also hates working bolts. She doesn't mind levers as much.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Reminds me...

If your girlfriend is short, check out the CZ Scout. It's the youth model, and a 16-inch-ish barrel. In the 452/455, it has just one stock screw, but can be installed in an adult stock as well. Generally sells for less.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have one. I acquired it because I was rather heavily invested in 10/22 magazines already. It's a decent budget rifle that can be turned into a legitimate PRS style rifle with some chamber work and a better chassis. I can consistently beat a 6" steel plate with it from 100 yards. Not stellar shooting but adequate for most purposes. I managed to get some sub 2" groups with it using CCI standards at 100 yards as well.

I scored a CZ 455 Standard a few months after I got the American for $200. It is no more or less capable in my hands than the American but it's more pleasant to shoot. I ran the 6" gong at 100 yards with open sights and was pretty consistently ringing it 8-9 shots out of 10. It was boring to load up two 25 round magazines and hit the plate 50 times for fifty shots, time and time again. I've yet to find the "right ammo" to shoot impressive groups at 100 yards with it but I can own any small game or varmint within 50 yards.

The main reason I bring up the CZ is there is actually more after market support for the CZ bolt actions over the Ruger bolt actions, should your interests lead you in that direction.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Reminds me...

If your girlfriend is short, check out the CZ Scout. It's the youth model, and a 16-inch-ish barrel. In the 452/455, it has just one stock screw, but can be installed in an adult stock as well. Generally sells for less.
    CZ Scout and/or 10/22 youth are both excellent choices! Each provides more accuracy and entertainment than you’d expect for the $ expended. A lifetime of fun in the shape of a gun box under the tree. For either gun, a budget priced red dot or Leupold variable is all you need for either whenever you decide for something other than the great iron sights on em. A case of CCI SV completes the package.

Might as well start the paperwork for a rimfire can now too.
    Last edited by jandbj; 11-23-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Most recent add to the ruger site:

https://www.ruger.com/products/1022C...ets/31143.html

I’m generally not a fan of "packages," but the Ruger 10/22 (and many Talo or Lipsey offerings) are an exception. At $399 full retail, this exact rig should be easily had in hand for 350 OTD.

Don’tcha love how eager P-F is to spend your money?

Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-23-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I have one each American Rimfire compacts on 22 lr and magnum. The magnum has a Leupold 2-7 Rimfire. Both are threaded. I’m very happy with them. I also have two 10/22 Compacts and recently acquired a 10/22 Backpacker. Any of those would be good choices.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Most recent add to the ruger site:

https://www.ruger.com/products/1022C...ets/31143.html

I’m generally not a fan of "packages," but the Ruger 10/22 (and many Talo or Lipsey offerings) are an exception. At $399 full retail, this exact rig should be easily had in hand for 350 OTD.

Don’tcha love how eager P-F is to spend your money?

Hey I'm just excited my girlfriend wanted to buy (another) gun. Only thing she owns right now is her late father's Win Model 70 featherweight in .30-06. I think she will enjoy the .22 much more...

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Reminds me...

She's a little on the tall side for a woman (5'7) so I was leaning towards the regular sized .22s. Is there any reason to consider a youth model?
    Last edited by Nephrology; 11-23-2019 at 04:26 PM.

User Tag List