Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire rifle for girlfriend

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The 10/22 plus nice optic is a sensible amount of money. The CZ plus a nice optic becomes expensive. CZ 22's with iron sights have a different stock than those that are slick and without iron sights and intended to be scoped. The iron sighted rifles have scopes with a lower comb. Thus the shooter using a scope is contacting the stock with chin and not cheek--depending on scope dimensions and ring height. Using low scope rings is not always the answer because the bolt handle very well might hit the scope's rear objective. Regardless you still have a stock with low comb.

My suggestion is that if you select a CZ, buy the model without iron sights and with the higher comb. Select a smaller scope, use CZ rings, and live happily thereafter. You will find that using CZ rings is easiest since choices are limited. You will find that if you are not careful, you will end up with a scope and ring combination that won't work. Unless things have changed, CZ is the only source of factory rings for these rifles. Magazines are very expensive and have low round count.

The CZ is a purist and advanced shooter type rifle. Rings and magazines are expensive. They, the rifle, and a nice scope will hit you close to $1000. I would not gift one to any person who is a new shooter, does not know the difference, and who might lose interest. If your friend shows promise and interest as time passes, then she will be a candidate for a premium rifle. I think that the model intended to be scoped comes with factory rings.

I own and shoot CZ rifles. Reread the above comment about bolt handles hitting scope objective bells. Buy the Ruger 10/22.
    Yeah, particularly after dropping about $1600 on a new safe set-up, the 10/22 is easily the front-runner here...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    CZ factory rings are pretty high.

I am in possession of a set of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings...e/264268435836

They look very nice. I will be installing them on my 512 with the 2-7x28 Leupold this weekend.

There is also the J&P adapter route: Delrin blocks that put Weaver rail chunks on the CZ rail. They work great with Burris Signature Zee rings, but I wouldn't use them with any other rings. I have measured a set and the top and bottom are out of parallel by a couple thousandths. The Signature Zee rings will soak it up no problem, but it could be an issue with others. J&P CS told me they are only meant to be used with Sig Zee rings; go figure.
    Thanks for the info about D3 Precision rings. Being a small company, this outfit could likely advise on ring height as it relates to scope selection. An incorrect combination will result in bolt handle hitting scope. Rimfire Central has a member generated chart on the subject which to my dim mind is complex.

My next CZ will be the nifty little bolt rifle in 7.62 Russian. It's light and handy, has minimal recoil, fires cheap ammo, and will serve me well as I shoot dirt clods, rocks, and stumps. I may even sight it in on paper.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thanks for the info about D3 Precision rings. Being a small company, this outfit could likely advise on ring height as it relates to scope selection. An incorrect combination will result in bolt handle hitting scope. Rimfire Central has a member generated chart on the subject which to my dim mind is complex.

My next CZ will be the nifty little bolt rifle in 7.62 Russian. It's light and handy, has minimal recoil, fires cheap ammo, and will serve me well as I shoot dirt clods, rocks, and stumps. I may even sight it in on paper.
    I found the D3 Precision guy from some discussion over at RFC. I, too, find the "chart" nearly useless.

There's one of those 527s at Collector's in 6.5G. Got me to go around the loop again, like I did when Brownell's put the Howa LW Mini action on sale awhile back. At this point, I'm not sure what all that would do for me that a custom .30-30 Contender barrel wouldn't. If I want to send 123-gr SSTs at ~2450 fps out of a lightweight, easy to carry, accurate gun, that will do nicely. As would downloading .308 cases for a Tikka.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-27-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I found the D3 Precision guy from some discussion over at RFC. I, too, find the "chart" nearly useless.

There's one of those 527s at Collector's in 6.5G. Got me to go around the loop again, like I did when Brownell's put the Howa LW Mini action on sale awhile back. At this point, I'm not sure what all that would do for me that a custom .30-30 Contender barrel wouldn't. If I want to send 123-gr SSTs at ~2450 fps out of a lightweight, easy to carry, accurate gun, that will do nicely. As would downloading .308 cases for a Tikka.
    Sir, you must never permit logic to convince you not to buy another gun.
    But, with the nifty CZ in 7.62 Russian you could blast away with cheap steel case Russian ammo which these little rifles with slightly larger bores were made to shoot. Such is more fun in wood and dale than on a range.

The 10/22 plus nice optic is a sensible amount of money. The CZ plus a nice optic becomes expensive. CZ 22's with iron sights have a different stock than those that are slick and without iron sights and intended to be scoped. The iron sighted rifles have scopes with a lower comb. Thus the shooter using a scope is contacting the stock with chin and not cheek--depending on scope dimensions and ring height. Using low scope rings is not always the answer because the bolt handle very well might hit the scope's rear objective. Regardless you still have a stock with low comb.

My suggestion is that if you select a CZ, buy the model without iron sights and with the higher comb. Select a smaller scope, use CZ rings, and live happily thereafter. You will find that using CZ rings is easiest since choices are limited. You will find that if you are not careful, you will end up with a scope and ring combination that won't work. Unless things have changed, CZ is the only source of factory rings for these rifles. Magazines are very expensive and have low round count.

The CZ is a purist and advanced shooter type rifle. Rings and magazines are expensive. They, the rifle, and a nice scope will hit you close to $1000. I would not gift one to any person who is a new shooter, does not know the difference, and who might lose interest. If your friend shows promise and interest as time passes, then she will be a candidate for a premium rifle. I think that the model intended to be scoped comes with factory rings.

I own and shoot CZ rifles. Reread the above comment about bolt handles hitting scope objective bells. Buy the Ruger 10/22.

I have no issues getting a proper cheek weld with my CZ Standard, which came with iron sights. There is such a thing as low and no rise rings...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I'm very happy with my Savage, but a lever action would be nice.. not needing mags and all.

She might find them cowboy cool too

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=93207
    Last edited by Isaac; 11-27-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I have no issues getting a proper cheek weld with my CZ Standard, which came with iron sights. There is such a thing as low and no rise rings...
    You have matched the rings to the scope. Higher power scopes with bigger objective bells hit the bolt handle when these scopes are in the lower ring heights. This situation is not as severe as it once was because CZ altered the bolt handle shape.

The solution here is to buy both an iron sighted CZ and a slick scoped CZ.

You have matched the rings to the scope. Higher power scopes with bigger objective bells hit the bolt handle when these scopes are in the lower ring heights. This situation is not as severe as it once was because CZ altered the bolt handle shape.
    I'm running a 3-9x50. That's a pretty large objective bell, I had to remove the rear sight for clearance.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I'm running a 3-9x50. That's a pretty large objective bell, I had to remove the rear sight for clearance.
    That is a big scope. You are more adept than I in scoping these rifles and at the same time being able to maintain a cheek weld. Share with us your best groups and the ammo brand that your rifle prefers.

User Tag List