Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rimfire rifle for girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    I'd look for a clean pre-remlin Marlin 60. Everybody should have a tube fed 22 rifle because they're cool and the freedom haters grandfather them in their master disarmament plans.
    I have one, and it’s a fun little gun. I agree that it combines elements of classic gallery guns and the 10/22 vibe. Reliable, and accurate enough. Don’t sell the libs short though; mine is now an "assault rifle" requiring a certificate to buy in my state.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I know you said standard rifle, but the M&P 15-22 is a fantastic gun. I like mine more every time I shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I know you said standard rifle, but the M&P 15-22 is a fantastic gun. I like mine more every time I shoot it.
    I love the idea of the 15-22, but it’s been disallowed for appleseed shoots. Wouldn’t stop me from getting one, but not as my only/first rimfire. OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'd look for a clean pre-remlin Marlin 60. Everybody should have a tube fed 22 rifle because they're cool and the freedom haters grandfather them in their master disarmament plans.
    Yep I love mine. It's run great.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Thompson/Center T/CR22, an improved 10/22
    Our local “big box” gun store, Green Top Sporting Goods, is selling the TCR .22 today with a case, sling, and red dot sight for $269 today only.
    Tempted to pick one up since I recently came into thousands of .22 LR from an estate sale.
    Hard to go wrong with the 10/22 or a decent bolt gun for a first .22.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-24-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Completely agree with you about the cost for the rifle, had to troll gun broker for a long time before acquiring this one at an excellent price. But now that I"m shooting it on a regular basis, can kick myself for not doing it sooner. My range in rimfire's vary; from a Marlin 60, Miroku 52, Anschutz 1516, toss in some Savage, Remington, and T/C Classic and by far the Browning is the most fun and accurate semi for plinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There are bound to be some Buck Mark deals in the next week. I've seen a leaked Bass Pro/Cabela's ad on gun.deals that suggests $50 rebate for Buck Mark pistols. And $100 on the 1911-380.

I'd have a Buck Mark rifle if I could get past the price. Accuracy reports seem to be less stellar than CZs. I like the pistols quite a bit. Was thinking about suggesting one in this thread. If Academy drops the price for their house-spec Buck Marks to $299 black $329 stainless, and there's a $50 rebate, that's hard to beat.

If you really want it to be “hers” I’d take her to a gun show and let her handle a bunch of stuff and pick what she likes. Then I’d buy it in the spot! avoid the man shit about “ok I’ll find the best price online and go buy it for you later”. Give the woman her instant gratification even if it cost you and extra $50. Then go right from there to the range.

What she will remember and appreciate more about the gift is the time you spent together, the respect you paid her to pick her own gun, and an entire day spent on her.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I had a pre-Remington Marlin 60 and hated it. Won't buy one again.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If you really want it to be “hers” I’d take her to a gun show and let her handle a bunch of stuff and pick what she likes. Then I’d buy it in the spot! avoid the man shit about “ok I’ll find the best price online and go buy it for you later”. Give the woman her instant gratification even if it cost you and extra $50. Then go right from there to the range.

What she will remember and appreciate more about the gift is the time you spent together, the respect you paid her to pick her own gun, and an entire day spent on her.
    This is a very good point....

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    also - What's the word on the Ruger American .22LRs?
    I was going to mention this because she doesn't sound like she has that much experience?
    As much as we all love our 10/22s (got two of them), there might be a better learning curve to be had by the thing NOT being automatically hot again as soon as you reset the trigger. Working a bolt to chamber the next round might be better to reinforce the understanding of the chamber being second from the magazine?

And WTH, you could get an American now, and the magazines would be compatible. And holy hell, for $200 each maybe get both:
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/ruge...22lr-8301.html
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/ruge...een-31115.html
    And the stock on the American "Includes two interchangeable standard length of pull stock modules that provide comb height options for scope or iron sight use. By simply removing the rear sling swivel stud, stock modules can be changed in seconds. Compact stock modules are available at ShopRuger.com" so if you wanted to try options it is easy. And I think that 10/22 comes with the same interchangeable module, but only comes with one. But the options are $20:
    http://shopruger.com/Rugerreg-Stock-...uctinfo/90432/
    You could end up with peep sights, or a simple red dot, on one and a scope on the other one.

Better buy the bigger safe...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-24-2019 at 09:17 PM.

User Tag List