Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another California CCW bribery scandal

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Could this new information be the basis for a new lawsuit ?
    IANAL, but I am wondering whether it could be a basis for renewing the appeal of the 9th Circuit's decision. It would certainly be useful to bypass the years and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars to run a new case through the lower courts.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

How does having bought a CCW permit look if you ever end up in front of a jury? I’m guessing that any prosecutor worth his salt would lean pretty heavily on that.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    ...is bad news. Period.

A crooked official selling CCWs is a criminal problem, not a socially acceptable status quo. Just because corruption is common doesn’t make it acceptable.
    I agree with you. I was pointing out the pernicious, invasive, almost viral nature of corrupt government that pervades and infects an otherwise decent society. Much like "broken windows theory" showed us how tolerating minor crimes resulted in increased violent crimes, the "Administrative State," rather than granting equal access to all and ensuring the rights of individuals are protected, instead creates an overwhelming fetid malaise of corruption that diminishes the individual and elevates the bureaucracy and its Gate Keepers above normal taxpaying peons like you and me. Many honest, decent Americans see the actions and misdeeds of our government and feel that they have significant negative consequences in standing up for their rights, whether it be in treasure, career currency, or social standing, as opposed to going along to get along, making a campaign donation and getting your CCW. This, regrettably, is the Hobson's Choice otherwise good citizens in many counties in CA are forced to make. Your virtue and honor will do you little good when some ruffian accosts you in a parking structure. In many areas of CA, you can carry without a permit, a misdemeanor, and take you chances of having your right to carry removed for an onerous period, or you can pay your money and get your permit from a slimeball who has monetized his elected position.

This is Third World, Banana Republic stuff. It is intensely Un-American. The human turds on the street and urban campers are mere symptoms of the disease that has infected my Golden State.
    Last edited by paherne; 11-23-2019 at 04:17 PM.

me thinks CA govt wants to weed out the less-than-loyal LE in favor of the brainwashed ones they'll "need" down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    me thinks CA govt wants to weed out the less-than-loyal LE in favor of the brainwashed ones they'll "need" down the road.
    Either I need to buy more stock in Alcoa, or you are misreading this.

CA politicians HATE LE of every stripe and flavor. PORAC and the major LE organizations were as flabbergasted as you when they found out the friendly Democrats they had been feeding for years were salivating to eat them over Use of Force law and de-escalation last year. It sucks to be proved right, sometimes.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    While I think there is definitely a "weeding out" of California LE candidates going on, the reason for it is different than you imagine. The profession is being transformed, as I've said before from "Law Enforcement " to "Law Encouragement". Candidates who have the ability, much less the propensity, to effectively use force are being vigorously discouraged in my jurisdiction, and increasingly so around the state. The increase in crime and disorder that results from this, and the states ongoing experiment in decriminalization of crime, are simply not a concern to political decision makers. The quality of the lives of citizens is just not important.....that is, for the ones who think disorder is a bug, not a feature, of this system. There are plenty who see this as just the cost of building Utopia.

ETA: A few years ago, when discussing the need for improved use of force and tactics training with someone who is now a Deputy Chief in my department, they dismissed the need, and told me "That's not really what our job is about, anymore. We're basically social workers now. You have to adapt to that. We don't really go after bad guys anymore....we just try to discourage them." This was in the context of training to respond to Active Shooters. This person is far from alone in this attitude.
    Last edited by AMC; 11-23-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Site Supporter
    https://youtu.be/BtEO8iR_dCU

Four indicted in Santa Clara County Sheriff concealed gun permit scandal
    Captain, reelection committee officer, two others charged with conspiracy and bribery; Sheriff Laurie Smith and security firm that got permits were not indicted, but DA says ‘we’re not done’

Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen announced felony charges including conspiracy and bribery against Capt. James Jensen; Christopher Schumb, an officer for a sheriff reelection committee and a prominent South Bay litigator; attorney Harpaul Nahal; and Milpitas gun-parts maker Michael Nichols. All four are accused of plotting to illegally secure concealed-gun permits for employees of Seattle-based executive security contractor AS Solution.

The indictment marks the first criminal case to come out of a decade’s worth of complaints regarding political favoritism in Smith’s issuing of the hard-to-get concealed-carry permits. Rosen said Friday that an 18-month investigation uncovered a two-tiered policy for the concealed gun permits: a process for regular citizens whose applications were destined for a filing cabinet, and another for VIPs whose applications were fast-tracked for approval.
    According to the indictment, Nichols contacted Nahal in April 2018 to set up a meeting with Nielsen, who Nichols described as a “buddy,” to help Nielsen secure CCW permits for his company’s executive protection agents, who protected high-profile figures like Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and COO Sheryl Sandberg.

That led to a meeting between Nielsen, West, Nichols, Nahal and Schumb in May 2018, and led to Nielsen attending a “Best of the West” police skills competition hosted by the sheriff’s office. At that event, prosecutors say Nichols introduced Nielsen to Jensen, and they “agreed in principle” to exchange political donations for concealed-carry permits.

Over the next month, a group of executive protection agents were directed by AS Solution manager Jack Stromgren to list false employers and addresses to fulfill legal requirements that county concealed-gun permits can only be issue to county residents. Nielsen gave Jensen a pile of applications at a Starbucks not far from the sheriff’s office headquarters, according to the indictment.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-08-2020 at 02:11 PM.

First, no one in position of power should take money for leniency on rules.

Then again, imagine all the jurisdictions where these type of laws are not in place, this environment (gun favors) doesn’t happen.

In CA, not only ccw issuance, but selling of off roster hand guns has hit more than a few police officers. Create the environment, create the market.

Is it that the officers do not believe in the these laws then justify in their mind and cross the line?

I remember a case way back when involving a police captain and DVD’s of all things. Why throw away your honor and career on such small things especially those higher up in rank?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    First, no one in position of power should take money for leniency on rules.

Then again, imagine all the jurisdictions where these type of laws are not in place, this environment (gun favors) doesn’t happen.

In CA, not only ccw issuance, but selling of off roster hand guns has hit more than a few police officers. Create the environment, create the market.

Is it that the officers do not believe in the these laws then justify in their mind and cross the line?

I remember a case way back when involving a police captain and DVD’s of all things. Why throw away your honor and career on such small things especially those higher up in rank?
    This particular case is about political corruption and influence not personal profit.

Only 1 of the 4 indicted is an LEO and that one is a captain, which is generally as high as LEOs can go via civil service meritocracy. After that it positions are generally appointed and political to one degree or another. Sheriffs are elected officials and as such these issues are aggravated in some SOs.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I agree with you. I was pointing out the pernicious, invasive, almost viral nature of corrupt government that pervades and infects an otherwise decent society. Much like "broken windows theory" showed us how tolerating minor crimes resulted in increased violent crimes, the "Administrative State," rather than granting equal access to all and ensuring the rights of individuals are protected, instead creates an overwhelming fetid malaise of corruption that diminishes the individual and elevates the bureaucracy and its Gate Keepers above normal taxpaying peons like you and me. Many honest, decent Americans see the actions and misdeeds of our government and feel that they have significant negative consequences in standing up for their rights, whether it be in treasure, career currency, or social standing, as opposed to going along to get along, making a campaign donation and getting your CCW. This, regrettably, is the Hobson's Choice otherwise good citizens in many counties in CA are forced to make. Your virtue and honor will do you little good when some ruffian accosts you in a parking structure. In many areas of CA, you can carry without a permit, a misdemeanor, and take you chances of having your right to carry removed for an onerous period, or you can pay your money and get your permit from a slimeball who has monetized his elected position.

This is Third World, Banana Republic stuff. It is intensely Un-American. The human turds on the street and urban campers are mere symptoms of the disease that has infected my Golden State.
    Welcome to Site Supporter status for a year. Great post.
    #RESIST

User Tag List