Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another California CCW bribery scandal

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    That was the first thing that popped into my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That was the first thing that popped into my mind.
    Nothing personal, but that whole link is fucking gross, made me feel dirty just reading it.
    Guess it defines the difference of being a citizen vs a subject.
    Last edited by wvincent; 11-23-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Whatevs.

If I chose to occupy a place like that, I’d gladly pay my grand, get my permission slip and roll on.

Some times gun guys have such a boner for abiding by laws they fail to see the opportunity of a guy on the take.
    Pragmatic, but wrong. Setting aside the moral and practical fact that bribery is illegal, there’s an element of elitism which makes this particularly odious.

If someone walked in off the street to give the sheriff $1k cash they’d be cuffed and stuffed for attempted bribery. But if that individual shook the right hands, went to the right parties and wore the correct clothes they’d commit the same crime and get away clean- with a carry permit to boot. Meanwhile the minimum wage cashier driving a store deposit to the bank is told “tough shit,no permit for you”.

That’s wrong , elitist, and all things which stand against the principles of this country.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Yeah. More like tyranny breeds corruption.
    This. Why be surprised? That's like being astonished at seeing the sun set off the CA coastline in the evening.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    That’s wrong , elitist, and all things which stand against the principles of this country.
    Or at least should, though sometimes I have to wonder.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Sometimes rank and file employees have been expected to make campaign contributions to their bosses' re-election endeavors. I have, and I did. Contributing to an official who lost can put one on the shit list for the new guy. In the distant past, one of my Mississippi relatives shot and killed his opponent after losing the election for sheriff. Though we may on the surface be more civilized today, exacting vengeance continues to be carried out. Money still talks, and bullshit still walks. You never know who might be smoking your ready-roll cigarettes.

I think Duke's statement is poignant and instead of encouraging lawlessness, instead shines a light on the inherent opportunity for corruption in states where may issue is the standard. Limiting access to a right, whether is be to carry a firearm for personal protection, build on your own property near a beach, or operate a business as you see fit, gives power to elected and unelected bureaucrats who can use their discretion to pick winners and losers, thereby profiting criminally off "consultant fees" and the like. It stinks to high heaven and should be banned. I have grown up in San Francisco and it is common knowledge that consulting with the Hon. Willie L. Brown, Jr. will almost guarantee your building project will get approved through the CCSF's onerous building approval process. Similarly, donors to Laurie Smith's campaign miraculously received CCWs in a county that is notoriously difficult in which to get one. Nancy Pelosi really is Gavin Newsom's aunt and his cousin is reportedly involved in investments in the Ukraine. Diane Feinstein's husband's company has profited off of laws she voted on and their connection to business dealings in China is murky, to say the least.

May issue breeds corruption and for the citizens just trying to live their lives while ruled over by these illegitimate oligarchs, like much of CA is, I could see going along to get along. When corruption is pervasive and the standard is pay to play, it sets a climate that normalizes this sort of behavior. This is where we are at in California. This weasel of a Sheriff's Captain deserves firing and conviction, but his scam is small potatoes in the larger scheme of California's criminal enterprise that we call government.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Could this new information be the basis for a new lawsuit ?

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    I think Duke's statement is poignant and instead of encouraging lawlessness, instead shines a light on the inherent opportunity for corruption in states where may issue is the standard. Limiting access to a right...
    ...is bad news. Period.

A crooked official selling CCWs is a criminal problem, not a socially acceptable status quo. Just because corruption is common doesn’t make it acceptable.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List