Thread: FAB-Defence KPOS Scout

FAB-Defence KPOS Scout

I have been (somewhat irrationally) interested in a little carbine that takes Glock mags for a while now. Researching a bunch of platforms, I decided to stick with a pistol conversion kit, as most rifles in my price range seemed to be plagued with reliability issues. Most conversion kits weren’t much better, and those that seemed to be reliable, suffer from accuracy issues. The FAB-Defence KPOS Scout has a bit better reviews, and when I found a used low millage example, complete with 6 mags, red dot, and Gen 4 G19 for $900 CAD, I jumped at the chance.

It seems to be a well built little unit, with an aluminum top rail and muzzle cage, coupled with a plastic lower and stock assembly. The previous owner topped it with a junky air-soft riser and a Bushnell TRS-25. It does not come with standard back up sights. I’ll shoot it as is for now until I can determine if it deserves a better optic system.

It comes standard with a folding vertical grip that also doubles as a trigger cover. I guess Fab-Defence thinks this is a viable way to allow the user to sling the gun while loaded. After playing with it, it’s not as hoaky as it looks, but I personally wouldn’t fully trust it if you had to sling the gun and take your hands off it. I think it would be best sling only in condition 3. More on that later.

The folding grip extends to fully cover the trigger. The button in the middle of the grip has a twin on the other side and both must be pressed simultaneously to retract it. You can extend it in increments, and with the grip fully extended you can’t get a full firing grip.

Fully retracted, it exposed the trigger.

I prefer to keep it here, as it still gives decent coverage to the trigger but allows a full grip. On the range only, this would likely be the way I would “safe” the gun between drills. It’s pretty quick to open the grip and shoulder the gun this way.

To close the grip you have to press this button.

The vert grip works well to keep your hand away from the muzzle and it works well with the thumb rests that are integral to the picatinny side rails. The only problem with the grip is that it wobbles front to back slightly at the pivot point when open.

The folding stock is sturdy and does not wobble. To close the stock simply press on the button and fold it.

Closed, you can see the simple folding mechanism. It stays closed by friction, and to open the stock you just have to pull it away from the gun until it locks. The recoil pad is rubber.

It comes with one quick detachable swivel. It works well with the old Magpull MS2 sling I have.

Installing the gun into the carbine kit is simple. You slide it into the upper, making sure to engage the frame rails with the mating rails on the stock. Interestingly, it seems to be largely a friction fit system. You can see in the picture below the internal rails, the rubber pad and spring that the trigger guard rests on. Once the gun is in place you have to forcefully push the stock closed on the pistol, locking it in the stock. There is no up or down flex on the system when closed but I can detect very slight rotational movement on the gun if I force it. We shall see how this affects accuracy, but generally movement is a bad thing for accuracy. To remove the gun you have to press the large button and pull the stock open, which requires a bit of force to do.

The ejection port is very large.

Loading the carbine is done by a non-reciprocating AR style charging handle. This handle assembly extends the entire length of the carbine and engages the slide of the Glock just over the muzzle. Pulling it back charges the gun. Right now it requires a lot of force to do but I haven’t lubed it yet, so maybe that will help.

That’s all I have for now. Hopefully I can hit the range on Sunday and see if it works.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 11-22-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    In Canukistan, does this item require extra paperwork the way it would in the states or is is just an accessory ?

The trigger cover is interesting.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-22-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In Canukistan, does this item require extra paperwork the way it would in the states or is is just an accessory ?

The trigger cover is interesting.
    No extra paper work required thankfully. They do make a brace version for the U.S. as well.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    No extra paper work required thankfully. They do make a brace version for the U.S. as well.
    I recall the brace version. Is this the same one @GJM had issues with holding zero ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I recall the brace version. Is this the same one @GJM had issues with holding zero ?
    No, I believe his was the CAA Roni?
    --

Range Report

This thing is ridiculously fun!

Round count: 271 - AE 124g.
    Malfunctions: 0

I was able to get to the range this morning to put some rounds though this thing. I had a blast! It’s been a while since I just shot for fun, being so focussed on competition, and this thing didn’t disappoint. I have to admit, it’s been a long time since I’ve shot a carbine and I felt rusty. I lubed the pistol and made sure to lube the charging handle and the area where it slides in the frame. It made charging the gun much smoother. I checked accuracy at 7 yards and it seemed acceptable, 15 and 25 yard targets were very high right though. It took me about a mag to finally get it to print where I wanted it. I just tested it offhand, as I’m under no illusions that this was built for accuracy.

Once zeroed I was able to get a 91-1X at 25 yards, offhand, on a B8.

15 yards offhand. POA was the green dot. Shooting fast.

I ran a few Bill drills from low ready. I was able to pull off a 1.46 clean run. First shot was a very slow .62 followed by .16, .16, .16, .17, .19. I was having fun now.

I ran half accelerators in the 2.5 to 3.1 range. It was very easy to keep shots in the A zone at this pace, though, I think The whole system could benefit from a lighter trigger as the whole package is ridiculously light. Also, felt recoil was much higher than I anticipated. It’s more pronounced than an AR in .223 for sure. It’s not bad in any way, just don’t expect it to shoot like a rimfire.

The folding grip actually worked really well. When running drills, I folded the grip to cover the trigger and held it closed with my support hand.

You can also keep the grip closed by using the following reference point for your index finger. When ready to shoot I folded open the grip and completed the drill. I would only use this system on a range and would recommend condition 3 otherwise. Note how dirty the ejection port is.

The muzzle portion got quite dirty as well.

I spent the rest of the session doing target transitions, shooting steel and shooting on the move. The gun worked well, reloads were smooth, and it was reasonably accurate out to 25 yards. The Bunshell TRS-25 worked well for a budget optic and the airsoft riser didn’t loosen. I’ll wait until the next range session to see if it still impresses, and if so, I may have to get a little more serious about kitting it out with higher quality accessories.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 11-24-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    --

User Tag List