Thread: Buying MP5 clones

Buying MP5 clones

The recent post about the new mp5s possibly comming to market has sparked my interest in getting back into 9mm carbines. I've owned a scorpion evo and liked it ok but ended up getting rid of it and buying another ar. I've been looking into the various MP5 clones but I have no idea who is a reputable builder and who is not. Although I would like to spring for the DT build I'm looking to stay in the 1600-2000 ballpark. Zenith looks like a good choice but I've heard good and bad about them. Somebody smarter than I school me please.

So I have the ability to obtain a PTR build for 1500. It seems like a good deal, I think I'm between this and a zenith. Is the PTR and zenith comparable in build quality?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    So I have the ability to obtain a PTR build for 1500. It seems like a good deal, I think I'm between this and a zenith. Is the PTR and zenith comparable in build quality?
    PTR all day long, twice on Sunday. I've gotten to shoot two Zenith guns (the HK33 clone and an MP5A2 clone) and both had a 'Century arms on an OK day' level of fit/finish that didn't impress me. PTR's on the other hand, are very well made and their warranty support is vastly better than POF or Zenith can offer in the US.

I wouldn't consider POF or Zenith at all unless you get a screaming deal on the secondhand market; in which case I'd flip it at a profit to get a PTR or genuine HK.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    PTR all day long, twice on Sunday. I've gotten to shoot two Zenith guns (the HK33 clone and an MP5A2 clone) and both had a 'Century arms on an OK day' level of fit/finish that didn't impress me. PTR's on the other hand, are very well made and their warranty support is vastly better than POF or Zenith can offer in the US.

I wouldn't consider POF or Zenith at all unless you get a screaming deal on the secondhand market; in which case I'd flip it at a profit to get a PTR or genuine HK.
    POF was an auto correct from my phone lol it's the PTR I'm looking at. Thanks tho I dont know anyone with any experience with both zenith and PTR. I also cant find anything online about them from a trustworthy source.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    POF was an auto correct from my phone lol it's the PTR I'm looking at. Thanks tho I dont know anyone with any experience with both zenith and PTR. I also cant find anything online about them from a trustworthy source.
    I've had the chance to compare POF, Zenith, and PTR guns side by side, though regrettably not all of the same caliber at the same time. Sample size of probably 3-4 weapons from each brand over the past 3-4 years.

The PTR's were noticeably better made, IMHO, and seem to have some kind of enamel finish that mimicks the original HK's pretty well. Mag wells are a little bit tight or just right, welds on the flat along the mag well are even and clean and you really have to stare at it. They shoot well, and except for one early PTR-91 built on FMP parts that had an ejection issue (turned out the ejector was missing entirely) I've not personally witnessed a PTR having any sorts of function problems. Sample size approximately 6-7 PTR-91's, 2 PTR-32's (one I damn near bought) and two PTR-9's. The PTR's tend to be sear-ready too if that matters to you.
    Only drawbacks on the PTR-9's, that I'm aware of are the Nitride barrel vs CHF, and the welded top rail on the PTR-9's, which precludes classic MP5 optic mounts and breaks immersion a little on the classic MP5 looks, especially if building an MP5K-N or MP5A2 SBR clone.

The Zeniths are parkerized and it's a little rough, and the fit/finish overall are akin to a WASR-10 AK; it'll functionally work, but it's ugly. I believe all of the Zeniths have a CHF barrel, though.
    At the local range I saw a gentleman with a Z-5R? MP5A2 clone with a Franklin binary trigger having some substantial issues cycling, and a very loose mag well. He said he'd sent it back once already and it wasn't fixed. Sample size 3-4 different MP5 clones, and one Z43 5.56 clone pistol with a 12in barrel and SB brace. The 5.56 was cool and the magazines were this clear plastic design I'd never seen before, and it ran like a champ through a small mountain of Wolf steel case over the course of an afternoon and shot very well. If I was going to ever own a Zenith, it'd probably be one of those.

POF's have crappy paint that seems to be hit and miss, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's total crap and rubs off in your hands visibly. Similar fit/finish issues as the Zenith but not as obvious under the thick paint. POF's warranty I believe only covers firing function, not fit/finish/etc even if it's clearly a factory defect. Magwells and other parts tend to be tighter/looser than the 'just right' of a factory HK or most PTR's. I've read that some are just perfect, but the handful I've seen didn't strike me as a quality weapon. Disclaimer - I've never actually fired a POF example, only handled/inspected a few.

A factor that matters to me, and some other folks, is that PTR is an American company employing Americans, while Zenith is Turkish and POF is Pakistani. I prefer to vote with my dollars anytime that I can, and I try to spend money in countries that are at least friendly to the US if I'm not voting for Americans.

Awesome info thank you very much. You might have just sold me on the PTR

User Tag List