Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surgeons on Flight Save Passenger by Sucking Urine Out of Bladder

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Surgeons on Flight Save Passenger by Sucking Urine Out of Bladder

This is as icky as it is awesomely heroic. From Newsweek:

Quick-thinking surgeons on board a flight from southern China had to improvise to save the life of an elderly passenger who had almost a litre of urine trapped in his bladder.

The unnamed passenger ran into trouble around 10 hours into the China Southern Airlines flight to New York on Tuesday, after complaining to cabin crew that he could not urinate.

With six hours to go before landing, Zhang Hong, from the First Affiliated Hospital of Jinan University in Guangzhou, and Xiao Zhanxiang, from Hainan Provincial People's Hospital in Haikou, responded to a pilot's call for medical assistance, the South China Morning Post reported, citing local sources.

The passenger was placed on the floor on his side and Zhang said he had to assess the situation quickly. He saw that there was a risk the bladder could rupture, with possibly fatal consequences.

He said: "The pensioner's abdomen was bloated, he could not sit still and was sweating a lot. He was going into shock and may have suffered a risk to his life if we didn't tend to him urgently."

"His family said he had a history of prostate enlargement, so we suspected this was causing urinary retention," The Mirror reported.

The doctors punctured the passenger's bladder and improvised a makeshift catheter using a plastic tube from a portable oxygen cylinder, a syringe from the plane's first-aid kit, a plastic straw from a milk carton and some tape.

However, Zhang discovered the syringe needle was too thin. He then siphoned out the urine using his mouth, sucking most of the fluid over half an hour and then spitting it out into an empty wine bottle.

"It was an emergency situation. I couldn't figure out another way," Zhang was quoted as saying.

"When I saw that the man could hardly bear the pain any more, my only thought was how to get the urine out of his bladder," he added.
    So it was just the one surgeon doing the sucking when there were two there?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

However, Zhang discovered the syringe needle was too thin. He then siphoned out the urine using his mouth, sucking most of the fluid over half an hour and then spitting it out into an empty wine bottle.

"It was an emergency situation. I couldn't figure out another way,"

However, Zhang discovered the syringe needle was too thin.

the syringe needle was too thin.
    the syringe needle
    syringe
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    So it was just the one surgeon doing the sucking when there were two there?
    Because the second one said, "I mean...if you're already doing it, no reason for both of us to drink piss."

Last edited by kwb377; 11-22-2019 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    This is as icky as it is awesomely heroic.
    Wow. If this is not a hero, I don't know what a hero is.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Am I the only one who saw the thread title and thought of the joke that ends with, "Sorry, dude, doc says you're gonna die"?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Did someone not think about using baby bottle with nipples and create a vacuum by filling with hot water and then emptying? Were there no available breast pumps that could have been adapted to assist with forming the vacuum? Maybe the doctor wasn't really a doctor if he did not first try to massage the old dude's prostate to resolve blockage issues.

The air carrier should thank the doc by sending him a case of his preferred drink.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Did someone not think about using baby bottle with nipples and create a vacuum by filling with hot water and then emptying? Were there no available breast pumps that could have been adapted to assist with forming the vacuum? Maybe the doctor wasn't really a doctor if he did not first try to massage the old dude's prostate to resolve blockage issues.
    Maybe he was just, you know, into stuff.

Doc#1 - "It's an emergency. There's no other way."

Doc#2 - "Wait, what if we try to..."

Doc#1 - "THERE'S NO OTHER WAY!!!!"
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    The air carrier should thank the doc by sending him a case of his preferred drink.
    Seems like that passenger already did that.

Where is the vomit emojii?

Name:  There's no other way.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  26.9 KB

User Tag List