Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Truck

Tesla Truck

I was going to watch the unveiling last night but forgot.

I don't quite like the Delorean look but I think when my F-150 blows up this will be a player. As a daily driver these Teslas make a lot of sense. I want to wait and see how the middle model tows and what range you can expect with a ~8,000lb trailer. As time marches on the Tesla super charging stations should become more available. I have heard the newest versions of the super chargers work in a similar timeframe to pumping gas... not 100% on this though.

Getting into the bed from the side looks to be impossible, and is something I do all the time. I like the adjustable suspension ride height and dampers, both standard options.

Its a big truck though and might be as long as a Supercrew+Long Bed. Not sure on this either.

Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ifxEVIUjTg

Articles:
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...ation-deposit/

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/transportat...uction-2136868

I can’t seem to attach an actual picture of the truck. Sorry.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 11-22-2019 at 08:06 AM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    When I first saw pictures, I thought it was joke. I think it's uglier than sin, but that's just me. At any rate, I'm glad to see electric moving to this class of vehicle.

Name:  Screenshot_2019-11-22 Tesla Cybertruck Here's how to order Elon's crazy new truck - Roadshow.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  25.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    I have heard the newest versions of the super chargers work in a similar timeframe to pumping gas... not 100% on this though.
    That's not going to be the case for many years, if ever. The charging times are substantially shorter than a plug-in charge, but you're still talking an hour-ish.
    Last edited by Chance; 11-22-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I think it's uglier than sin, but that's just me. At any rate, I'm glad to see electric moving to this class of vehicle.
    I agree on both counts. If they can make it look like anything they want, I suggest a retro-modern version. Something like this but with a 4 door cab.

Name:  39 ford.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  55.2 KB
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Consider how many 5 year old and 10 year old Teslas you see running around. 5 year old ones are out there, and dropping like flies with expensive problems ; 10 year old ones are virtually non-existent because they're all broken, and yes, there are 10 year old Teslas. There's actually a shop that specializes in rebuilding the first gen Teslas built on the Lotus Elise chassis, and their work is not cheap.
    A big ass component in strong resale values for trucks is because of the belief the damn thing will keep on running another 10, 20 years if you choose to maintain it.

Also consider the price delta on Tesla models when sold as the newest latest greatest and the previous generation. The older generation of Tesla gets an immediate Falcon-punch in the blue book the instant a newer model is released. That book value hit is regularly in the $20k-30k+ range and the effect is almost overnight.
    Combined with age and mileage, sellers of used Teslas routinely take a bath on it, at a far steeper average loss than selling a Tundra, F350 etc even if you bought it new.

Even with the cost of gas vs the power bill, depending on your total mileage and use I would not be surprised if the total cost of ownership is higher for the Tesla for the common ownership cycle of 3-5 years total ownership and 60-80k miles driven.

Having worked on cars for 20+ years, and having a few P85's and P100's on a lift to really look at them; I am not impressed with their build quality or components. Granted, that is a problem across the entire auto industry and not just Tesla; but the Tundras, F150's, Silverados etc are still built decently well and I don't have any confidence in Tesla's ability to build a truck of comparable durability.

Unless you live in an area with E-car only lanes that bypass a lot of traffic, or have some other government, tax, or infrastructure incentive to own an electric car, I would be loathe to trust a Tesla of any make, let alone a truck.

If you just gotta have one, I would wait at least two years and let those owners beta-test the platform for you first. Then buy a pampered low mileage one from some suburban yuppie that thought he needed an E-truck, and ideally, buy it right as the Tesla eTruck 2.0 SuperCool Yay+ model is released so you can benefit from that massive price hit on a V1.0 instead of sufferring from it.

Alternatively, lease one if that is possible.

Better still; Buy a Tundra, an L86 (6.2L) GMC, or Coyote-powered Ford and the only thing you'll need to worry about is the gas station, and a very known and predictable depreciation rate and maintenance needs.

My eyes… it burns!!!!

Site Supporter
    lol wow...that was a great unveiling.

I'm not a huge GM fan but I like their offering

Name:  2008-22864-gmc-denali-xt-concept1-e1542030170812.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  47.9 KB
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I'm not a huge GM fan but I like their offering

Name:  2008-22864-gmc-denali-xt-concept1-e1542030170812.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  47.9 KB
    Holy shit, that's uglier than the Tesla. At least the Tesla kinda looks like a prop from a sci-fi movie.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Attachment 45108

Where did they put the receptacle for the flux capacitor?

Not my cup of whiskey.

I don't see much "form follows function" there. No infos about air resistance.

The only goal seems to be that it looks ... different. Probably it matches Mr. Musk's taste. Not mine.
    Last edited by P30; 11-22-2019 at 12:47 PM.

User Tag List