Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak (sit-on-top, I think) Recomenations

Kayak (sit-on-top, I think) Recomenations

Spent some time paddling around on a cheap plastic kayak over the weekend and of course, now I want one. I will probably try to find used, but I want to talk about new as that's more accessible and consistent.

Also, I believe I'm looking for a sit-on-top for my purposes. no camping trips, just a couple of hours on a river, lake, or possibly intercoastal. A maximum of a couple of hours, and actual sea/ocean-going is pretty unlikely. Also, no specific plans to fish from the boat but not opposed (even if nothing more than an excuse to be on the kayak ). Some of the examples below are designed as fishing kayaks but I'm including those as they do tend to be more stable from what I gather.

I've been looking at a few guides online from various sources (some I trust, some are dubious) but I thought I'd ask here as I know a fair number of outdoorsmen here might have input.

Currently don't want tandem, don't need a canoe (I have one), don't want folding or inflatable, and am pretty sure what I want is one of the molded plastic sit-on-top types. I believe those come in a range of pretty crappy (what I presume I was using this weekend) and more pricey (sometimes simply because of accessories and/or add-ons).

I liked the kayak this weekend, given my specific use, because the seat was just a molded-in piece, but the more involved suspension seats are more desirable and better longer-term.

Some examples I've saved based on my "research" so far.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 105 - $1,119
    Name:  81XlD2vRvZL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  20.8 KB

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 - $1,229
    Name:  71GM8MNnMLL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  18.1 KB

SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Boss SS Sit-On/Stand On Top Angler Kayak
    Name:  71WsLQqrYpL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  24.1 KB

Perception Pescador Pro 10 - $919
    Name:  61zGOvJE1+L._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  20.8 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I had a Hobie Pro Angler for some time. It's primarily a fishing kayak but I really never used it for that, just paddling around.

It was well built and handled nicely for a kayak. Don't know if that would be something you would want to consider or not.

Ended up selling it because we moved away from the water and it was just taking up space in the garage.

The great majority of my paddling time has been spent in river/whitewater kayaks. However our family owns two L.L. Bean Manatees, which are manufactured by Perception then rebranded. Ours are a "sit-in" style that can utilize a spray skirt, but are perfectly serviceable without, and in function are very similar to a sit-on-top. We've used them pretty extensively in flatwater and in the ocean and they have been quite robust. They're moderately fast, pretty stable, handle well and are sleek enough that they can even be rolled if you're using a skirt. I think they were only around $500 bucks a piece when we bought them. There are a couple different "Manatee" models, to include actual sit-on-tops. I *think* ours are the "Comfort Deluxe" model, IIRC. Very similar if not.

Anyway, I thought they might be worth a look.

Some examples:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1103...=29-118-506830

When were in Tampa Bay I had a set of the 10 foot sit on top kayaks. I liked them but I wished I would have gotten 12 footers. Me, at 200ish pounds, and a cooler were almost too much weight.

Mrs. Fatdog and I started Kayaking the non white water/rapids streams in our area soon after we got married in 1992. I have been Kayak fishing our local creeks for over a decade. No white water or rapids, and I go when the water level/flow is such that I can paddle upstream a couple of miles and float back to where I put in. Sometimes I will get out on one of the lakes and work the bank regions. I have an anchor rig that works reasonably well in our creeks to gives me time and enough stability to fish a spot.

I bought a sub $400 at the time, 10' sit on top version from Walmart about 7-8 years ago (very similar to this model) that has been more than satisfactory for this purpose. It replaced our 30+ year old polymer KeeWee's that I had outfitted with pole holders and stuff.

I know there are probably a lot of great things about the higher end $1K+ fishing kayaks, I honestly don't think any of those features would improve my fishing experience for where I fish with it. If you end up spending lots of dough and never use it you will regret it. If you end up going with an inexpensive one and get further into the hobby you will always have it as a backup, or one to take a guest with you.

If I were not fishing, I would not go with the sit on top version. I would prefer the covered version if all I was doing was paddling, just my preference. We kept our ancient KeeWee's for that, they are much more nimble 8' covered variants.

The hobby is a lot of fun and I find it very relaxing.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Site Supporter
    I've got some experience with sit-on kayaks in the ocean (OBX and Mexico) and locally in rivers and lakes. I also have done some longish (6-12 mile) river trips on sit-in kayaks.

In Jan 2022, Tractor Supply had the Lifetime Angler 10' on sale for $200, which came with a paddle, so I snapped that up. I like fishing, so it was a natural fit. I don't know how it compares to more expensive sit-on models, but since I mainly take it out to fish relatively sedate waters and I'm not going long distances, it works for me. I do not like the seat though. The backrest is too flexible and it tends to bend at an awkward spot for my back if I lean back. I've considered replacing the seat, but haven't gotten around to it.

My take on Kayaks...
    If I'm just tooling around inland waters and don't need to carry stuff, I much prefer the sit-ins. Not only do I find them more maneuverable, I also like the sensation of being nearly "in" the water. With the Sit-On type, I feel almost like I'm in a canoe. However, the sit-on kayak is more stable and easier to manage while fishing. I could almost justify having both, but most of the time I'm kayaking where the sit-in is the better choice, I'm out with my friend who owns two, so I just use his.

BTW, for those in the NOVA area, this looks like a good time: Mallows Bay Ghost Fleet

I'll be touring that this summer.

Chris

I’ve only ever thought of kayaks for very small rivers. After the last few trips on the water with my new ski, I can’t imagine being around boats or other skis while kayaking. Even slowing down to produce minimal wake, it looks like they get tossed around easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Peaceful post-storm kayaking and fishing on a local river in a sit-in. I saw some bald eagles and caught a large catfish that pulled me around a bit before I got it under control.

Name:  kayak.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  69.1 KB

Chris

My friend Michelle has had great luck with her Kaku Kayak. She's an avid fisherwoman.
    https://kakukayaks.com/

http://instagram.com/p/CrZUI3tOHTi/

Her code "Blueline" is good for 5% off.

I like the kayak because I'm big boned and a regular paddle board is way too tipsy for me (especially after a few beers)...

I would give a sit in kayak a try, rentals are fairly easy to come by.

If you try it and like the sit on kayak thing better, the sit/stand ones tend to be more versatile without sacrificing much unless it's a devoted fishing kayak.

I've caught a lot of fish from sit in kayaks and they didn't complain.

ETA: I think @Maple Syrup Actual (punctuation? capitalization?) could explain what the different hull shapes give you better than me.
    Last edited by MickAK; 06-06-2023 at 08:35 PM.

User Tag List