Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Plus there's the whole "bursting into flames" thing not to mention the "charging station catching your house on fire" thing...
    Pretty broad brush, there, bud. Would you like to learn more?
    Ignore Alien Orders

I think the Tesla is just an embarrassment. Looks like a little kid drew a truck. And drew it badly for his age.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    I think the Tesla is just an embarrassment. Looks like a little kid drew a truck. And drew it badly for his age.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Every weight value for towing, capacity, etc for Fords/GM/Dodge are generated by lawyers, knowing that Billy Joe is going to put 2x that weight on it and demand warranty claims when something breaks, and they've been playing this game for dozens of years.
    Not any more. There is actually an SAE standard for tow ratings and all the domestic manufacturers and Toyota have been using it since at least 2015 (at least on half-tons, GMC was a bit late to the party on trucks above 1500): https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j2807_201602/
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am old enough to remember when Glocks came out and everyone said they were ugly
    I'm old enough to remember when the Aztec came out and everyone said they were ugly. They were right...but the Aztec looks better than this thing. It looks like a low budget sci-fi prop.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when the Aztec came out and everyone said they were ugly. They were right...but the Aztec looks better than this thing. It looks like a low budget sci-fi prop.
    I think that is the feature not a bug.

After thinking awhile I remain undecided.

Elon has pushed Tesla and SpaceX to look at things through the lens of "no part is the best part" and to challenge convention.

It has worked out extremely well for SpaceX. The ability to abandon convention has resulted in a company that represents creative destruction for the entire rest of the space launch industry. (heavy mil/gov involvement in space, along with various national security priorities has adjusted the economic landscape beyond any form of external coherence).

For Tesla cars it has been successful so far. Unfortunately I think he missed on this one. I would love to look at the data and market research that they used in the design, but I bet that this thing is almost a perfect reflection of what most folks actually use their trucks as - a daily driver that is big, looks cool, and can occasionally be used to haul a bunch of stuff in the back.

The big mistake was proudly displayed during the reveal (not just the appearance). Trucks have looked like all kinds of things over the course of their development, with a certain selective evolutionary pressure forcing the current result. You should be rejecting convention when you change the use case (recoverable rockets for example), not for incremental evolution like gas/diesel to electric. This truck does not look well suited for roof racks, or for bed side liners/tool chests, or any of the other things that trades folks and people who actually use their trucks as trucks on a daily basis need. I think they took statistics saying 95% of owners want a high ground clearance monster, but are never going to actually put anything in it or tow with it and thought well what if we just didn't design around that cargo box...?

Unfortunately, the same way I don't necessarily need a rifle that is suitable for hard use by a CAG operator, nobody buys a truck that is flagrantly unsuited to its ostensible purpose - even though they will never use it for more than daily driving.

Musk is back to his old monkey in the zoo antics, fling poo and see what sticks.

One of the big arguments against electric cars used to be range, basically you shouldn't buy an electric car because less than 1% of miles should dictate 99% of actual usage. Turns out electric cars weren’t all that impractical for people buying electric cars. With pickups, manufacturers don’t even blink when acknowledging that consumer sales are almost entirely for “lifestyle” vehicles. Pickups trucks aren’t being purchased to be used as trucks, they are glorified commuter cars. It’s hard to talk about practical applications with people that aren’t buying for practical purposes. The basis of most pickup truck purchase justifications, is that I bought this truck so I can pay at least 50% more to get at least 50% less fuel economy, so I don't have to suffer the indignity of renting a pickup truck 10 times over the next 10 years of ownership. (If you're one of those people that actually uses your pickup as a pickup, congrats, don't get you're panties in a twist, but you're a rare exception)

Honestly electric pickups would excel in one of the biggest theoretical areas of concern for pickup truck purchasers, acceleration under load. Once you get up to speed there’s not a lot of difference between the engine choices in the respective weight classes. Not that it matters because they aren't getting used for towing or hauling, but there's a lot of nonsense out there about what's better for driving up mountains, and unfortunately a complete lack of experience about that really important thing, how to safely navigate the downhill side.

SAE testing is the max that a pickup can handle the Davis Dam drive. That's the max with no safety margin, and no concern for longevity. Ten years ago when hot shotting in pickups was all the rage, a lot of folks found out the hard way that Ford, Chevy/GM and Dodge will tell you with a straight face that there 6 liter diesel pickup can handle the same weight as a 9 liter class 7 truck, but left off the *for the first 5,000 miles and after that we don't cover wear and tear under warranty.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

In my world, cars cost money and trucks make money. They make money because they don't have to stop (refueling doesn't take THAT long), and they punch way above their weight.

Honda Ridgelines and Subaru Brats are perfect for some people.

I mostly use my pickup as a bigger safer car with a giant trunk and more visibility. I could do most of what I do with my truck with a Lincoln Towncar....if they still made a Lincoln Towncar. I loved my '95 Towncar even if my wife called it my "old man car", but they don't make anything like that any more. Remind me again how many four door body-on-frame sedans with high seating, large door openings, spacious driver's seats and large trunks are on the market. Zero, I think.

Where are the wipers? That is a gigantic windshield.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List