Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Truck

Looks like the love child of a Delorean and the Killdozer. Clearly its armor genes came from the Delorean side of the family.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Cameras, lots of cameras. It's the future.
    Neither of the cameras on my truck worked today. Completely covered in slime from freezing rain, snow, road salt, sand and other shit. Oddly enough, even though there was a little spatter, both side mirrors were perfectly usable.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Consider how many 5 year old and 10 year old Teslas you see running around. 5 year old ones are out there, and dropping like flies with expensive problems ; 10 year old ones are virtually non-existent because they're all broken, and yes, there are 10 year old Teslas. There's actually a shop that specializes in rebuilding the first gen Teslas built on the Lotus Elise chassis, and their work is not cheap.
    A big ass component in strong resale values for trucks is because of the belief the damn thing will keep on running another 10, 20 years if you choose to maintain it.

Also consider the price delta on Tesla models when sold as the newest latest greatest and the previous generation. The older generation of Tesla gets an immediate Falcon-punch in the blue book the instant a newer model is released. That book value hit is regularly in the $20k-30k+ range and the effect is almost overnight.
    Combined with age and mileage, sellers of used Teslas routinely take a bath on it, at a far steeper average loss than selling a Tundra, F350 etc even if you bought it new.

Even with the cost of gas vs the power bill, depending on your total mileage and use I would not be surprised if the total cost of ownership is higher for the Tesla for the common ownership cycle of 3-5 years total ownership and 60-80k miles driven.

Having worked on cars for 20+ years, and having a few P85's and P100's on a lift to really look at them; I am not impressed with their build quality or components. Granted, that is a problem across the entire auto industry and not just Tesla; but the Tundras, F150's, Silverados etc are still built decently well and I don't have any confidence in Tesla's ability to build a truck of comparable durability.

Unless you live in an area with E-car only lanes that bypass a lot of traffic, or have some other government, tax, or infrastructure incentive to own an electric car, I would be loathe to trust a Tesla of any make, let alone a truck.

If you just gotta have one, I would wait at least two years and let those owners beta-test the platform for you first. Then buy a pampered low mileage one from some suburban yuppie that thought he needed an E-truck, and ideally, buy it right as the Tesla eTruck 2.0 SuperCool Yay+ model is released so you can benefit from that massive price hit on a V1.0 instead of sufferring from it.

Alternatively, lease one if that is possible.

Better still; Buy a Tundra, an L86 (6.2L) GMC, or Coyote-powered Ford and the only thing you'll need to worry about is the gas station, and a very known and predictable depreciation rate and maintenance needs.
    My 2006 Duramax went 13 years and 200,000 miles and it's still going as a spare truck at my company. I still have a '95 and '97 F-350's Powerstrokes in every day use with my company. The largest repair bills have been 1 transmission each in the Fords and a set of injectors in the Duramax (that I did myself in one day and cost $2400).. I run my trucks until they drop, but I still expect them to go 10 years at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Neither of the cameras on my truck worked today. Completely covered in slime from freezing rain, snow, road salt, sand and other shit. Oddly enough, even though there was a little spatter, both side mirrors were perfectly usable.
    I didn't say it was a good idea but it is the direction this stuff is headed. Cadillac has already been doing it for a couple years.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Looks like the love child of a Delorean and the Killdozer. Clearly its armor genes came from the Delorean side of the family.
    Name:  803BF2EA-0E20-432A-A917-0652D430D46A.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  33.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    I want to drive my current truck at least a total of 10 years and that goes for any new vehicle down the road. And that is on the low side, so things like resale are not a big factor for me. Part of the reason I like the idea of electric cars is that I *believe* that once the technology matures it will be cheaper/more reliable than gas engines. Battery technology is always getting better.

The environment is probably worse off with building and disposing of batteries vice burning gasoline.

Lets compare my current 2013 F-150 to the middle Tesla Truck.

2013 F-150, 4x4, Lariat, 3.5EB, 3.55, towing package
    Range
    500+ miles, 300 miles towing
    Tesla
    300+ miles, towing miles unknown

Tow rating
    F-150 - 9,500 lbs
    Tesla - 10,000 lbs

Payload
    F-150 1,183 lbs (Yes, you read that right. Payload should be a thread all on its own)
    Tesla 3,500 lbs

MSRP for my truck bought in 2012 was $51,000. After the games it was like $42,000. The middle Tesla starts around $49,000.

My yearly gas bill is on the order of $2,700. Since 2012 I have spent $13,055 on gas. Based on Model X numbers, a Tesla would have cost $4158 in charging costs.

I am hoping the production truck looks a little better and the kinks are worked out when I am ready in the 2022 time frame. I am more than happy with the F-150 and the ecoboost is fun to drive. If Ford can make the F-150 'lectric a thing... maybe I stick with the blue oval.

High Mileage Tesla:
    https://electrek.co/2018/07/17/tesla...miles-3-years/

A guy who sits next to me at work said he is going to get the Tesla truck. I hope he does so we can see how it works in real life.
    Consider, first, a few additional variables;

Every weight value for towing, capacity, etc for Fords/GM/Dodge are generated by lawyers, knowing that Billy Joe is going to put 2x that weight on it and demand warranty claims when something breaks, and they've been playing this game for dozens of years.

Meanwhile, Tesla has never built a truck before.

The gas use is typical for a light duty truck and is a known curve. Charging costs for a Tesla are not guaranteed over the next 10 years, and are low hanging fruit for new regulations/taxes/fees/etc as e-vehicles move from niche to common use.
    The man is going to want that tax revenue from all that gas not being bought, and the man will get his fucking tax money. So betting on Tesla charging staying as cheap as it is, well, that's a foolish assumption IMO. I also anticipate that e-waste recycling fees/deposits/etc will come into play at some point.

400k miles over 3 years on a fleet maintained vehicle is noteworthy, but it's obvious from the usage of that particular Tesla that it enjoyed an ideal environment and infrastructure to maximize an electric car's benefits and minimize the impacts of harsh weather, abuse, traditional 'put gas in it and drive' sorts of usage over the course of 20+ years, like how most trucks can expect to be used.

Time is just as much of a vehicle killer as mileage. You can almost routinely find 25, 30 year old Toyotas, Powerstroke Diesels, etc with similar mileage, and those trucks have usually lived hard lives parked outside in the elements.

If you live in a locale that has gov/infrastructure/tax benefits for ecars that artificially incentivize their use, they may be the ideal choice for a commuter. In that role I would take very seriously any E offerings from Hyundai or Toyota. But until companies like that offer an E-Truck and put their powertrain warranties on them, I'm sticking to internal combustion on a truck.

Plus there's the whole "bursting into flames" thing not to mention the "charging station catching your house on fire" thing...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Tesla Technical

Name:  1C50FC33-5C02-4A7E-B244-84FF17439BAB.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  33.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Tesla Technical
    A testical?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    Personally I think battery powered vehicles is barking up the wrong tree. When I see 18 wheelers hauling down the road for miles running on battery power, then I'll believe that batteries are a efficient source of energy for vehicles. Not to mention how many vehicles do Tesla produce a week? Like 100?

I'm waiting for the government to release the reverse engineered UFO propulsion system. I'll snag that up in a heartbeat!
    Pretty broad brush there buddy. Would you like to learn more?
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List