Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to skip the new Star Wars film

Going to skip the new Star Wars film

Plan is to be in Australia this Christmas, which means I could probably catch the new Star Wars movie.

I could, but I'm not going to. Honestly, the Last Star Wars Film I Watched kind of burned me out on the whole new franchise. Even JarJar and 'I Don't Like Sand" didn't do that.
    Which is sad, as I was a wee lad when the first one hit theaters, and it was a huge part of my childhood.

But it's not just that- I'm fairly burned out on most movies released anymore.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Are these Star Wars movies?

If there was a new Sherlock Holmes story, but it wasn't written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and barely had Sherlock or Dr. Watson in it, nobody would call it a real Sherlock Holmes story. It would be called a pastiche.

These are not Star Wars movies. They are pastiche. And bad ones at that.

Watch "The Mandalorian" if you miss the real Star Wars... It brings back all the magic and it's awesome.

Banned
    I quit watching Star Wars after The Empire Strikes Back. to be honest I would have been completely content if they never did another movie after the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Plan is to be in Australia this Christmas, which means I could probably catch the new Star Wars movie.

I could, but I'm not going to. Honestly, the Last Star Wars Film I Watched kind of burned me out on the whole new franchise. Even JarJar and 'I Don't Like Sand" didn't do that.
    Which is sad, as I was a wee lad when the first one hit theaters, and it was a huge part of my childhood.

But it's not just that- I'm fairly burned out on most movies released anymore.
    I have zero faith that Disney will intentionally take any of this in a worthwhile direction. I'm in for watching season 1, maybe 2 of The Mandalorian, but I see that as Disney throwing money/production at promoting their streaming service. As soon as that goal is achieved, they'll send it the way of GOT. If they make an enjoyable couple seasons out of that, it's incidental to the launch of their latest revenue stream.

I refuse to acknowledge any movies beyond the first three, and agree with @HopetonBrown, "bad pastiche" is an accurate descriptor.

I grew up watching A New Hope, Empire, and Return. I was in my 20's when Episodes I-III came out, I was old enough to see those movies for what they were: pure shit unless you are 6 years old. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi aren't shit (tho Jedi has some shit scenes). I am looking forward to The Rise of Skywalker. I learned long ago that if you go into a movie with set expectations of *what you want* you'll likely be disappointed; Episodes I-III should have logically led up to Episodes IV-VI but Lucas let his ego take charge and fucked it up. I mean, he still got there, in the broadest sense of the phrase.

The Mandalorian? Not digging it. Yet. "Baby Yoda" is the only thing that keeps me interested. It doesn't help that Disney+ doesn't seem to have a published release schedule.

The best Star Wars flick? Rogue One.

Star Wars flick that I forget about? Solo.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Y'all know you're going to watch it just to see how it ends. I know I am. But I'm not some Star Wars nerd who picks everything apart, I just enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I quit watching Star Wars after The Empire Strikes Back. to be honest I would have been completely content if they never did another movie after the first one.
    This.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    I liked A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, but I was disgusted by Return of the Jedi when the teddy bears didn't end up a steaming pile of goo as they should have. That was the downward turning point of the entire series for me. The Mandalorian sounds good from descriptions here, but I don't think anything can salvage the movies after what they've become.

But then even Yoda's wokeness was a bit much for me to handle. I'd be happy if they'd have kept all the badass elements and thrown out all the other garbage.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Rouge one. Nothing else.

User Tag List