Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I think most dies today work with 38s and 357s. I had an older die set that didnt crimp 38s, I had the boss at the bike shop turn it down shorter in the lathe so it crimped. One could also just buy a crimp or crimp seat die.

The wadcutters that stick out were fairly common in the distant past. i recall seeing them listed as factory wadcutters in 1960s and earlier Shooters Bibles. I have a Lyman mould for that type, they made them in 148 and 160-ish grain with the same number (dont recall the mould number, 360344? That one first came out in the 19-teens). They were used before there were actual flush seated wadcutter cases that were thinner walled farther back so they didnt compress the bullet base when seated. The wadcutter cases been widely described as having two knurled rings around the case, most 38 cases have one or none. Anyway, the old type wadcutters left about 1/4" of bullet sticking out, thats how they were designed and intended to be used, they had a beveled crimp groove and two lube grooves I believe.

Edit: the Lyman Ideal mould number I was thinking of is the 358432.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...1&d=1403143657
    Skeeter Skelton loads...
    http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt38spcl.htm

Site Supporter
    Black Hills 148gr. HBWC with 110 gr. HP for reloads. In both our Ruger LCR's.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Are there any properly preformed IWBA standard ballistic gelatin tests performed on the .38 Spl Gold Dot 135 grain +p short barrel load. I tried searching but in the site and through Google, and didn't find anything definitive (a fair number of amateur tests.) Anyone have a link to such (Doc?)

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Are there any properly preformed IWBA standard ballistic gelatin tests performed on the .38 Spl Gold Dot 135 grain +p short barrel load. I tried searching but in the site and through Google, and didn't find anything definitive (a fair number of amateur tests.) Anyone have a link to such (Doc?)
    He doesn't present the actual test, but in the thread mentioned on the previous page Doc states the short barrel 135gr GDHP load is one of the few that makes the cut.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I’d like to see this too. Most of us have chosen our carry loads based on @DocGKR’s recommendations and trust that he made them based on solid data...but we’d still like to see those results for ourselves.

Doc has posted a link to extensive testing done on that exact load here before. I admit to being too lazy to look for the thread.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Are there any properly preformed IWBA standard ballistic gelatin tests performed on the .38 Spl Gold Dot 135 grain +p short barrel load.
    DocGKR has posted this before

.38 Sp Speer 135 gr +P JHP Gold Dot (53921), ave vel=856f/s
    BG: pen=13.1”, RD=0.56”, RW=134.5gr
    4 layer denim: pen=13.6”, RD=0.53”, RW=134.1gr
    auto windshield: pen=9.4”, RD=0.51”, RW=129.6gr

Are there any properly preformed IWBA standard ballistic gelatin tests performed on the .38 Spl Gold Dot 135 grain +p short barrel load.

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/download...dDotPoster.pdf

This is what I was looking for. I tried both forum search and google search, but couldn't find it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    DocGKR has posted this before

.38 Sp Speer 135 gr +P JHP Gold Dot (53921), ave vel=856f/s
    BG: pen=13.1”, RD=0.56”, RW=134.5gr
    4 layer denim: pen=13.6”, RD=0.53”, RW=134.1gr
    auto windshield: pen=9.4”, RD=0.51”, RW=129.6gr

I've seen the poster before. But I wanted something that was independent of the manufacturer. Interestingly Doc's test seems to show better performance (at least penetration) than the poster.

User Tag List