Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

FWIW, I have an LCR with an XS big dot on me now; that one has BB 150 full wadcutter in it, backed up by loaders with Speer 135gr GDHP.

The night cobra, and other all-steel .38s have the 135 GDHP in them.

In 3" or longer wheelies, I’m not opposed to Remington or even BB 158gr LSWCHP+P.

Again, FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    In 3" or longer wheelies, I’m not opposed to Remington or even BB 158gr LSWCHP+P.
    If 158-grain bullets hit to POA, I'd probably just use the Remington LHP that I use in my 4" guns. The recoil's not that bad.

Brass Fetcher video on various ballistic test media:

https://youtu.be/8hq9cBXvy30

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have been using fiocchi classic line LWC 148 gn wadcutters in a lcrx 357 mag with a HIVIZ fiber front sight. And the pxd1 and I have some Remington 357 mag 140 gn XBP barnes bullets. Those are the only 357 mag I've shot through that gun but I like it quite a lot, not bad at all on the hand.

This may sound dumb but what are ya'll using to handload full wadcutters? Do you need a special bullet seating die? I've found quite a few wadcutters for hand loading, but I've never tried loading them before.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    I have been using fiocchi classic line LWC 148 gn wadcutters in a lcrx 357 mag with a HIVIZ fiber front sight. And the pxd1 and I have some Remington 357 mag 140 gn XBP barnes bullets. Those are the only 357 mag I've shot through that gun but I like it quite a lot, not bad at all on the hand.

This may sound dumb but what are ya'll using to handload full wadcutters? Do you need a special bullet seating die? I've found quite a few wadcutters for hand loading, but I've never tried loading them before.
    Most die sets come with two or three bullet punches. My ancient RCBS die came with two, one for round nose and another for flat nose; the flat nose one works for wadcutters.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Most die sets come with two or three bullet punches. My ancient RCBS die came with two, one for round nose and another for flat nose; the flat nose one works for wadcutters.
    This helps tremendously, thank you! I haven't purchased any dies yet because I was trying to find out what to use for wadcutters. I am surprised there isn't more subject matter about reloading wadcutters out there.

Federal HST 130 grain +P is my go to. Few other choices will give the expansion and penetration comparable to this round.

Site Supporter
    My perception is that wadcutters in snubbies is a P-F niche thing. I'm not aware of any other group that practices as hard with snubbies or puts as much effort into finding how to use them most effectively. Then again, I rarely go to other gun forums, so it may be a lack of exposure on my part.

The trigger on my ex-police 642 is smoothing up nicely. I guess the 400+ rounds I've put through it in the month I've had it is more than its original owner shot it.

ETA: I guess the majority of folks who reload .38 Special wadcutter ammo are those Conventional Pistol shooters who use S&W M52s for the Centerfire COF.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 11-22-2019 at 08:26 PM.

My perception is that wadcutters in snubbies is a P-F niche thing. I'm not aware of any other group that practices as hard with snubbies or puts as much effort into finding how to use them most effectively. Then again, I rarely go to other gun forums, so it may be a lack of exposure on my part.
    I think you are right, on all counts—no need to go to other forums to confirm.

:0
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My perception is that wadcutters in snubbies is a P-F niche thing.
    Perhaps, and perhaps in "modern times", but the concept is pretty old school. The cool kids back in the day would load HBWC backwards to make an expanding round, as well.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List