Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Rimrock makes a swc-wn I use
    Attachment 64101
    Those look real nice. 158 grain?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Those look real nice. 158 grain?
    Yes, they shoot real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    For you reloaders, I experimented with some of these 100% meplat wadcutters from Matt's bullets a while back.

Attachment 64095

Here is a link https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...t5k9f5jncq3g46

This bullet has nice sharp shoulders and a handy crimp groove. I asked Matt to cast them from a hard alloy. They shot accurately from the M638 and pretty close to POA at 10 or 15 yards.

This one caught me eye as well but I have never played with them .. yet ...

Attachment 64096

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...t5k9f5jncq3g46
    I have loaded about 100 of the 157 grain wadcutters. I didn’t take any pictures of the targets but if I remember correctly they were pretty spot on for my 4” M64. I have also loaded about 100 of Matt’s 160 grain RF bullets with similar results.

Link to 160 grain RF: https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...t5k9f5jncq3g46

Pic of reloads:
    Name:  B3D90321-DE86-47D0-AA70-210BCCDD7C5E.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  58.1 KB

I will add here that the customer service at Matt’s bullets is fantastic. I have ordered multiple times from him and all have been good experiences. One order contained bullets that looked to have been damaged I assume during shipping. I emailed him about it, gave an approximate number of damaged bullets, and sent a picture explaining what was going on and he sent me more than enough new bullets to replace the damaged bullets in short order. It’s probably about time to place another order...
    Last edited by jws; 12-05-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I have loaded about 100 of the 157 grain wadcutters. I didn’t take any pictures of the targets but if I remember correctly they were pretty spot on for my 4” M64. I have also loaded about 100 of Matt’s 160 grain RF bullets with similar results.

Link to 160 grain RF: https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...t5k9f5jncq3g46

Pic of reloads:
    Name:  B3D90321-DE86-47D0-AA70-210BCCDD7C5E.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  58.1 KB

I will add here that the customer service at Matt’s bullets is fantastic. I have ordered multiple times from him and all have been good experiences. One order contained bullets that looked to have been damaged I assume during shipping. I emailed him about it, gave an approximate number of damaged bullets, and sent a picture explaining what was going on and he sent me more than enough new bullets to replace the damaged bullets in short order. It’s probably about time to place another order...
    Good looking bullets. The wadcutter looks like a sledge hammer!

Site Supporter
    A couple years back i tried several differently slugs over 4.5 grains of Unique out of a 2" Model 15. I really like that 157 WC. I don't have notes on the OAL because I just crimped them all with a healthy roll crimp in the crimp groove. The two Matt's bullets shot better than my home cast Lee. The 178 load is probably a little into +P territory, but I was shooting them in a k-frame so I wasn't worried about that.

- 161 lee rnfp Fps:771.8 Fpe: 213
    - 157 Matt's WC Fps: 805 Fpe: 226
    - 178 Matt's Keith Fps: 762 Fpe: 229

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’ve not been able to source any more Federal GMM, and I’m down to my last box. I did manage to order 3 boxes (the limit) of S&B 148 gr WC from sgammo.

Any inputs on where this might print, as regards POI, vs the Federal GMM?

When the S&B arrives I’ll shoot it in my LCR next chance I get, and report back, but I was just curious if anyone’s used this ammo before.
    In my 640 pro at 15 yards the S&B shoots within 1/4” for elevation, about 1” different in windage than GMM. In my 642 Pro, the S&B shot to POA at 15 yards, the GMM shot 1.25” to the right. Group size definitely favors the GMM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I’ve not been able to source any more Federal GMM, and I’m down to my last box. I did manage to order 3 boxes (the limit) of S&B 148 gr WC from sgammo.

Any inputs on where this might print, as regards POI, vs the Federal GMM?

When the S&B arrives I’ll shoot it in my LCR next chance I get, and report back, but I was just curious if anyone’s used this ammo before.
    From my Training Journal, 12/7/20: I had not shot my little snubby in quite a while. I took a box of the new S&B 148 gr WC to try out and compare with my carry ammo, Federal Gold Medal Match 158 gr WC.

Perceived recoil between the Federal GMM and this ammo seemed about the same. Smokeyness is about the same. Maybe the S&B has a bit more smoke, but it's nothing like the Magtech I tried that one time. I give up something like 60 fps (660 vs 600) of velocity in the S&B. I haven't priced Federal GMM lately but I can't source it at the moment. So I'm going to use the S&B for practice, and keep the GMM for carry, as they seem to print the same.

Speaking of:

What I was surprised at was how consistently both ammo types printed high and left. Not very common for me lol. Perhaps I had forgotten how to shoot a revolver? I dunno. I did a couple cylinders on a B8, then a 5x5 drill, and my groups were trending about 3" up, and 3" left, using a center dot hold at 5 yards. Weird.

I adjusted my hold to compensate, and shot this group with the S&B at 5 yards, putting the fat Novak Tritium front sight about 3" low and right: (the circle on this custom target I created is an NRA B-8 black 8 ring size, 5.54" in diameter)

Name:  E6B202E6-6FDB-4048-B74E-174222A7B40C.jpeg
Views: 800
Size:  51.8 KB

Site Supporter
    @RJ - My 642 shoots about 3" high at 5 yards as well. 125-130-grain ammo shoots to POA, so that's what I carry.

Hadn’t seen this posted anywhere else, some recent gel testing in ballistic gelatin:

https://revolverguy.com/38-snubby-ammo/

I wish he had used the heavy clothing or 4LD instead of bare gel, but it’s better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Yes, quite a few. Rabbits mostly, but also squirrels, prairie dogs, gophers, racoons, and have put down several injured deer with them.

Small game has a distinct bang-flop effect where RNL leaves them running away.

CCI markets the SGB loading for small game, it's the Small Game Bullet, basically a flat nose .22lr 40gr high velocity solid. It also works better on small game than RN.

I believe that bullet size vs target size, on small game there is enough extra temp cavity to make a significant difference in incapacitation.

Temporary cavity effects are often looked at in just the gel blocks, when they need to be considered relative to the target. We know that something like a .22Hornet will blow a prairie dog in half out to 200 yards, drop a coyote in his tracks with a good hit, not so much with a bad hit, but if you shoot a cape buffalo with one then you're about to have a very bad day.

My other reason for favoring WCs for low recoil snub work is reading and training with Jim Cirillo. As Jim noted, and I've seen numerous times in real life, RN bullets often glance off of skulls.

I've shot a number of deer with Remington WCs. From a 642 they "stick" when they hit the skull, leave a large entry wound, don't exit, and pulp the brain. Instant lights out. On double lung shots I've noted that on the entry side WCs through a rib (deer ribs are much large and more robust that people ribs for anyone who hasn't seen one) make a splintered hole large than the bullet, will penetrate all the way through, have enough energy to penetrate the rib on the far side and get stuck under the skin. JHPs that I've made similar shots with, like Critical Defense, tend to leave a bullet sized clean hole in the rib on the entry side, like it's been hit with a drill bit.

I've seen very, very few JHPs actually expand from a snub. Even one's designed for that use. Many old school loads, such as the 110gr +P+, that do expand fail to penetrate nearly enough for my comfort.
    I have been reading through this thread this morning drinking coffee, and just wanted to comment on this.

While I don't have any experience shooting gel blocks, I do shoot a fair bit of game with handguns (as some of you who know me already know) due to where I tend to play. Lead wadcutter type bullets are quite effective, and my experience mirrors Chucks.

I have seen Jacks, both large and small hump up and hop away after being zipped right through with 230 grain FMJ ball ammo (unless you hit something structural). But if you get them with an SWC or wadcutter, its a totally different story, they flop over instantly. .38 Wadcutters are extremely effective on all manner of game. I have used them on lots of critters from skunks to vehicle struck deer, and they work well. Though if given an opportunity, I will usually use a bigger caliber/cartridge on the vehicle struck animals, such as a .45 ACP (but that's not relevant to the conversation).

Wadcutters work well.

User Tag List