Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Yes, quite a few. Rabbits mostly, but also squirrels, prairie dogs, gophers, racoons, and have put down several injured deer with them.

Small game has a distinct bang-flop effect where RNL leaves them running away.

CCI markets the SGB loading for small game, it's the Small Game Bullet, basically a flat nose .22lr 40gr high velocity solid. It also works better on small game than RN..

My other reason for favoring WCs for low recoil snub work is reading and training with Jim Cirillo. As Jim noted, and I've seen numerous times in real life, RN bullets often glance off of skulls.

I've shot a number of deer with Remington WCs. From a 642 they "stick" when they hit the skull, leave a large entry wound, don't exit, and pulp the brain. Instant lights out. On double lung shots I've noted that on the entry side WCs through a rib (deer ribs are much large and more robust that people ribs for anyone who hasn't seen one) make a splintered hole large than the bullet, will penetrate all the way through, have enough energy to penetrate the rib on the far side and get stuck under the skin. JHPs that I've made similar shots with, like Critical Defense, tend to leave a bullet sized clean hole in the rib on the entry side, like it's been hit with a drill bit.
    How would a 158 SWC compare to a full WC? I have a 358156GC mold and a supply of lead. I’ve only shot paper with them so far. It drops bullets with nice flat faces and sharp corners. I’m sorely tempted to make a light target load with them for snubby work.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    @Buckeye63
    Any updates on the 856? I keep hoping to see new posts in that thread. Especially now that the 3” UL models are making their way into the pipeline.
    Epidural.. has got me on my feet .. recently hung up the cane .. waiting on results of cervical MRI ... ran about 50 or so rounds through the little 856UL .. 158gr LSWC .. standard pressure.. and a cylinder full of 130gr HST function test ... pleasant shooting.. I replaced the stock grips with Uncle Mikes Compact grips .. I know thats not much shooting.. but tbe range got a bit crowded... and I had a couple of other guns to shoot ..

Name:  2429FFB5-BE25-4BE7-B707-0F87AED85C7E.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  100.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Tho only round that shoots to POA in my 642 is 158gr LSWC.

So, 158gr LSWC from Federal. Pretty soft shooting, reloads easily from a speedloader or strip, and a big, flat nose.
    Federal just confirmed via email that the 158 gr SWC loading (No. 38C) has been permanently discontinued.

With Remington's 158 gr "target" SWC off the market as well... that's kind of a bummer. Slow 158s are the only loads that hit the top of my front sight in either my 642 or my Agent. I guess reloading will commence once components rematerialize.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ruger LCR 5401 .38 with Federal Gold Medal Match Wadcutters. I shoot the GMM for practice as well as carry, in a pocket A Holster. Front sight replaced with a Novak Big Dot.

I’ve not been able to source any more Federal GMM, and I’m down to my last box. I did manage to order 3 boxes (the limit) of S&B 148 gr WC from sgammo.

Any inputs on where this might print, as regards POI, vs the Federal GMM?

When the S&B arrives I’ll shoot it in my LCR next chance I get, and report back, but I was just curious if anyone’s used this ammo before.

I’ve not been able to source any more Federal GMM, and I’m down to my last box. I did manage to order 3 boxes (the limit) of S&B 148 gr WC from sgammo.

When the S&B arrives I’ll shoot it in my LCR next chance I get, and report back, but I was just curious if anyone’s used this ammo before.
    Save your Federal for carry and practice with the S&B. I chronographed some S&B a few years ago and it was a good bit slower than Fed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    How would a 158 SWC compare to a full WC? I have a 358156GC mold and a supply of lead. I’ve only shot paper with them so far. It drops bullets with nice flat faces and sharp corners. I’m sorely tempted to make a light target load with them for snubby work.
    Depending on the design, a 158 gr SWC can have a nice wide flat meplat. Should work OK I would think as long as it shoots to your sights. A lot of game has been harvested with them.

For you reloaders, I experimented with some of these 100% meplat wadcutters from Matt's bullets a while back.

Name:  Img_7886.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  26.7 KB

Here is a link https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...t5k9f5jncq3g46

This bullet has nice sharp shoulders and a handy crimp groove. I asked Matt to cast them from a hard alloy. They shot accurately from the M638 and pretty close to POA at 10 or 15 yards.

This one caught me eye as well but I have never played with them .. yet ...

Name:  Img_7289.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  30.3 KB

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.p...t5k9f5jncq3g46
    Last edited by 4given; 12-04-2020 at 06:23 PM.

I bought a box once. It was accurate stuff, but dirty and smokey, and obviously "mouse fart" power factor... I have not shot FGMM to compare, but I have shot Winchester and Remington WC, and I'd consider it comparable, if a bit slow (guessing there, I didn't chrono any). Shoots about the same as other 148gr HBWC fodder, including my handloads.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Depending on the design, a 158 gr SWC can have a nice wide flat meplat. Should work OK I would think as long as it shoots to your sights. A lot of game has been harvested with them.
    Rimrock makes a swc-wn I use
    Name:  20201118_103632.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  36.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Rimrock makes a swc-wn I use
    Name:  20201118_103632.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  36.2 KB
    My mold is quite similar to those. Might make a winter project out of it. I have a decent stash of Winchester WST which works great for Hormady 148 HBWC, so I'm betting it'll work well with these at modest velocity.

User Tag List