Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

I carry a 642 Smith on a regular basis as a back up. Like Chuck, I have not seen any round tested in various medias including calibrated gel expand reliably. The only round I've seen expand at all was the 130 +P Bonded Ranger and even that wasn't impressive. The 135 +P Gold Dot I've seen open just a tad but not all the way. If I could get away with carrying a Full Wad Cutter I would but I have to carry a hollow point of some kind. I have a couple boxes of 135 +P Gold Dots at home but I carry Federal 158 SWCLHP +P in my snub. It's a hollow point so it fits our policy but cuts a wad cutter hole in people. I don't expect much expansion if any at all from it. The Gold Dot 135 is a good load also just felt like going old school this year and in the end we are really splitting hairs between these rounds. They are all better than the Police Widow Makers.

Off topic I have been around for tested for the 135 357 mag from a snub and found it expanded well. So did the classic 125 SJHP 357 mag from Federal. When we clocked them they gave us a 150-250 fps boast depending on the load compared to the 38 loads that were loaded with the same bullet. That little extra velocity does help to make a bullet designed for a 38 expand. I sold my 640 Pro years back because it was beating my hands. As Pat Rogers use to say "There is no such thing as a free lunch".

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    If I could get away with carrying a Full Wad Cutter I would but I have to carry a hollow point of some kind. I have a couple boxes of 135 +P Gold Dots at home but I carry Federal 158 SWCLHP +P in my snub. It's a hollow point so it fits our policy but cuts a wad cutter hole in people. I don't expect much expansion if any at all from it.

Curious whether you could use the jewish HST .38 Micro's. They shoot just above point of aim in my 642 and are definitely a HP.

Name:  1600670839713-616352617.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  76.8 KB
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Curious whether you could use the jewish HST .38 Micro's. They shoot just above point of aim in my 642 and are definitely a HP.

Name:  1600670839713-616352617.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  76.8 KB
    Those would fit our specs but when I asked Chuck about them. He didn't seem to impressed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Curious whether you could use the jewish HST .38 Micro's.
    ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    ?
    Looks like an autocorrect typo.

I have two 38spl snubbies that I will not fire +P through.. one is a Model 12 ( steel cylinder) and my older 36 (3inch ), that my Dad left me .. which I don’t see carrying them for SD .. but Id more likely carry 158gr LSWC .. both shoot point to aim ... I do have several hundred of 158gr JHP reloads , I loaded with Winchester bullets .. that I tested in wet newspaper print that deformed and somewhat expanded... these were tested in a three inch barreled 38spl revolver I owned at the time .. and were loaded at standard velocity...

I carry a 12.5 oz Charter aluminum framed revolver quite a bit .. I use Hornady 110gr FTX standard pressure ammo .. it has little recoil and expands realizability in ballistic gel ...

My two other 38spl snubbies ( 856UL & Charter Police) I carry Federal 130gr HST +P ... very soft shooting and expands excellent in ballistic gel ..

In my Ruger LCR 357 I carry Remington 125gr +P SJHP .. which is a stout round ...

This is where the LCR327 steps in .. fullhouse Federal Gold dot 327 Fed loads recoil less than 38spl +P and is a powerful round .. and with 32 H&R FTX recoils less than standard pressure 38 spl ...

To my amazement it hasn’t taken over in the snubbie world ..

@Buckeye63
    Any updates on the 856? I keep hoping to see new posts in that thread. Especially now that the 3” UL models are making their way into the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    @Buckeye63
    Any updates on the 856? I keep hoping to see new posts in that thread. Especially now that the 3” UL models are making their way into the pipeline.
    Other than just 6 rounds of 158gr LRN .. nothing to share .. still down pretty much in my back.. awaiting to see a neurosurgeon later this week ...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye63 View Post
    Other than just 6 rounds of 158gr LRN .. nothing to share .. still down pretty much in my back.. awaiting to see a neurosurgeon later this week ...
    Hope the doc squares you away quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Hope the doc squares you away quickly!
    This is being on for 45 years ... off and on .. I afraid.. its cut time .Sorta been holding off for bionics ..
    Like the 6 million dollar man ;-)

User Tag List