Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    One of my old chiefs bounced two of those off of a bad guy's face one day, from a 4" model 10.

They were also famous being completely unable to penetrate car doors, windshields, etc.

The blunt nose shape made them very stable so they stayed nose forward during penetration, and slid through tissue with minimal disruption vs crushing it. I've shot rabbits with that round and they were unimpressed. I quickly quit using them even for that job because wounding the bunnies is inhumane.
    Interesting. I have read a lot about those 200 Super Police loads and people either loved them or hated them. Askins talks about shooting a Nazi with one to good effect, but as I recall correctly it didn't kill the guy. I always remember reading that test in old Gun Digest Law Enforcement annual with they shot the 200 grn Super Police load at a car and it wouldn't penetrate a car window and just dented the fender.

I have never shot anything living with 200 grn .38 spl loads, but have played around with them a lot doing some handloading experiments with a friend of mine. My model 14 loved that old lyman 200 grain bullet at about 650fps and shot it more accurately than anything else that I have tried in it yet. You can get a lot of soft tissue penetration (in theory) out of a 200 grn LSW at around 700 fps from a .38. Always wanted to try them on a hog but the opportunity has not presented itself. Glynn Fryxell wrote an article about them and their use in a slaughterhouse (very specialized use). There is also a thread discussing shooting jack rabbits with the 200grn LRN over on castboolits forum, and the gist seemed to be they worked great if they stayed slow enough to be unstable, but if pushed too fast they just drilled right through like you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    For those interested it looks like Modway has the HST Micro projectiles for sale as components:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022626550?pid=683238
    Thanks for that! I am going to order some to play with. I bought a bunch of 9mm 124 and 147 HST from Rocky Mountain Reloading a while back. I have been sorely tempted to pull down some old 38 +p+ 147 Hydra Shock ammo and reload it with 147 HSTs just to see what happens. Seems like it should work ...

I just picked up a box of Bayou Bullets 135 grain button nose wadcutters to play around with making practice ammo.

If you are talking about Askins shooting the German soldier through his pack, pretty sure he used a hot handload for that job.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Askins had been working for the Border Patrol when he joined the Army. He elected to carry a .38 Spl, his Border Patrol issue caliber. My guess is that in the Army he was carrying whatever ammo the BP issued. He died in San Antonio in 1999.
    Last edited by willie; 05-26-2020 at 10:15 PM.

P.154 in Unrepentent Sinner Askins states he was carrying a Colt New Service (with some custom modifications), as issued to the Border Patrol, in .38 Spl caliber. It was loaded with a 200-gr bullet put together by Winchester. He shot at the German Soldier twice. One bullet got stuck in the German Soldier’s pack. The second bullet entered his lungs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    If you are talking about Askins shooting the German soldier through his pack, pretty sure he used a hot handload for that job.
    Yes sir that might be it. I shouldn't have called him a Nazi because not all German soldiers were Nazis. Askins wrote it up in the story 'Wing Shooting' on page 93 of Colonel Askins on Pistols and Revolvers. He just says he had his custom .38 New Service loaded with 'some Winchester 200 grain loads, the bullets capped with lubaloy jackets' and that the went in below the right pectoral and exited through the left shoulder blade. Since he referenced them as Winchester I guess I just assumed that they were factory loads, but it doesn't say in this text there one way nor the other. He mentions on page 47 that he 'one time killed member of the Wehrmacht with the .38 spl' so I apparently was wrong about it not killing the soldier.

For anybody that isn't familiar with it, here is the custom New Service.
    Name:  IMG_9276.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  72.7 KB

Of course, all members of the Wehrmacht pledged an oath of allegiance to Adolf Hitler. Therefore, I think it's completely fair to refer to any member of the WW II German forces as Nazis. So shooting Nazis works for me. Sorry for the drift.
    Last edited by 314159; 05-30-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    My apologies to weasels.

Trust me, Charley Askins lost no sleep differentiating between Nazi party members and Wehrmacht draftees. He wasn't the most "politically sesnsitive" of folks.

Site Supporter
    Just FYI, chrono data from my 642: Winchester Ranger 130-grain bonded JHP (RA38B), 802 fps/SD 16. That's over 100 fps slower than the 125-grain Golden Saber it's replacing and slower than the practice handloads I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Just FYI, chrono data from my 642: Winchester Ranger 130-grain bonded JHP (RA38B), 802 fps/SD 16. That's over 100 fps slower than the 125-grain Golden Saber it's replacing and slower than the practice handloads I made up.
    Wow, thats slow.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Wow, thats slow.
    Yeah, but if it works, who cares?

User Tag List