Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    The 150 grain Buffalo bore wad cutter, to me, has as much or more recoil than the 135 grain gold dot 38 special.

The trade off of a target wad cutter is perhaps a bit less performance for a much more shootable and practice-able cartridge.

If one is inclined to deal with the recoil they are likely better off with a quality hp like the 135+p GD.

If Buffalo bore loaded that round to around 700 ft per second out of it 2 inch gun ( like the Fed GMM) with its sharp shoulder and hard cast projectile then they would have something.

I carry GMM for its shootability and the high QC provided by the manufacturer. I generally avoid boutique manufacturers for carry rounds.
    Maybe this round has the specs you desire:

DoubleTap 38 Special 148gr Full WADCUTTER MATCH
    Velocity: 800fps / 4" Ruger GP-100
    6.0" bbl S&W - 855fps
    2.0" bbl - 740fps
    Bullet: MATCH GRADE Full Wadcutter 148gr. Hardcast

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Maybe this round has the specs you desire:

DoubleTap 38 Special 148gr Full WADCUTTER MATCH
    Velocity: 800fps / 4" Ruger GP-100
    6.0" bbl S&W - 855fps
    2.0" bbl - 740fps
    Bullet: MATCH GRADE Full Wadcutter 148gr. Hardcast
    Thanks but...... Still in the violent recoil range out of a 12 oz revolver..... The purpose of a wadcutter is the ease of shooting...... With heavy recoil I'd rather just carry a quality hollow point which likely will perform better.

Not to mention earlier in the thread double taps own customer service explaining their quality.....

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Thanks but...... Still in the violent recoil range out of a 12 oz revolver..... The purpose of a wadcutter is the ease of shooting...... With heavy recoil I'd rather just carry a quality hollow point which likely will perform better.

Not to mention earlier in the thread double taps own customer service explaining their quality.....
    OK. I didn't think 40 FPS would make much of a difference in recoil. Good to know.

Site Supporter
    OK. I didn't think 40 FPS would make much of a difference in recoil. Good to know.
    FWIW, Federal wadcutter chronographs ~635 fps from my 642. That's a good bit more than 40 fps difference.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    FWIW, Federal wadcutter chronographs ~635 fps from my 642. That's a good bit more than 40 fps difference.
    That's true. He stated around 700 FPS so I was going off of that. I was thinking about trying the DoubleTap round as I thought they were not too snappy. I think I'll pass on them now.

What I choose to do is to shoot THE MOST ACCURATE hollowpoint ammunition in my two 38 Special snubbies. My two guns are...
    Primary
    Bug

They both shoot the best with Hornady® Critical Defense® 110gr FTX® ammunition; albeit with standard pressure in the primary and +p flavor in the BUG.

That's true. He stated around 700 FPS so I was going off of that. I was thinking about trying the DoubleTap round as I thought they were not too snappy. I think I'll pass on them now.
    Changed my mind and tried the Double Tap. Here is a link to my short review: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....mp-4-quot-BBLs

Two words: wad cutters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Two words: wad cutters.
    Actually, it's one word (wadcutter). They're great if POA = POI. My 642 requires 125-grain bullets to do that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm required to carry "quality expanding ammunition" so wadcutters aren't an option for me. I like the 130gr PDX-1 from my LCR. Sample size of one, but it worked as advertised in a chest shot of a pitbull that announced it's presence by biting my forearm.

If I could carry wadcutters, I probably would.
    I know that this is an old post, but if you want something that shoots more like wadcutters but might satisfy the stated requirement, check out the Hornady 158 XTP .38 spl load. Mild recoil and blast, and the nose typically deforms a little back towards something like a ragged wadcutter. No mushrooms, but accurate and nice to shoot with plenty penetration.

Personally for snubbies:
    - Modern steel frame guns or airweights; 130 HST loaded and 130 Winchester PDX1 +p for reloads
    - Older revolvers or Airlights; Remington 148 WC (because I can get it the easiest / cheapest) loaded and either Winchester 130 Defender or 158 LSW
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 03-09-2020 at 12:22 PM.

User Tag List