Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

I use a Lyman (non cowboy) carbide die set for 357 in my Dillon 550. With taper crimp!
    Works very well with any bullet, 90% of my reloads are cast bullets. I made spacer rings in a thickness equal to the difference in case lengths of 38 vs 357, so I use then for both calibers without reajustment.

Well I've discovered I'm not tough enough for the 1000 fps BB 150gr WC load in an Airweight J. Recovery is noticeably slower than with the Federal WC or Precision One WC loads. Recoil is enough that I'm not inclined to try and train through it for EDC carry.

The remainder of the BB WC ammo has been reassigned to the 3" Model 60

Site Supporter
    I've settled on a handload for my 642. The carry load is Remington Golden Sabre 125-grain +P, which chronos at 941 fps from my gun. The handload is a 125-grain coated LTC from Missouri Bullets over 4.8 grains of HP-38, which Hodgdon gives as a max standard-pressure load. It runs right at 800 fps. 100 rounds of this in a practice session is no problem, accuracy is fine, fouling comes out with a bore snake and it has the same POI as the GS load.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Ed Harris 38 Spl. articles are below. Ed is a rather prolific writer who has worked on the NRA technical departments, Sturm, Ruger & co, and as an independent consultant.

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...adcutterQA.htm

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...FBI%20Load.htm

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...s%20Button.htm

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...e38special.htm
    After all these years of handgunning, I would have to agree with Ed Harris. If it really came down to just one handgun, I think I would keep my slicked up four-inch 686 and let go my G17. Both are very dependable, but I can accomplish a wider variety of tasks with that .38/357 bore. Must be the influence of all those Bill Jordan books/articles that I read as a young puppy.

Brass Fetcher included the old Remington Multi-Ball load in the .38 Special testing. The #000 pellets went 16 inches.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Handguns...Selection.html

Are there any known reports or experiences of the 148gr Federal Gold Medal Full Wadcutter successfully penetrating bone to stop threats? I rarely carry my 642, but when I do I prefer the wadcutters due to the obvious recoil difference.

Are there any concerns with the “softness” of the lead?

Would I be wise to select a full wadcutter that is plated?

Thank you

Site Supporter
    Actually, from what I've read, a 200-grain .38 Special at about 600 fps from a snubbie was a thing for a while.

Name:  super police.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  8.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Actually, from what I've read, a 200-grain .38 Special at about 600 fps from a snubbie was a thing for a while.

Name:  super police.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  8.2 KB
    Neat box and ammo...

Often referred to as "widow-makers", .38 LRN bullets (generally in the weight range of 158 - 200 grains) were known to pass through human bodies without doing much damage. Gladly, we have much better options before us these days.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Neat box and ammo...

Often referred to as "widow-makers", .38 LRN bullets (generally in the weight range of 158 - 200 grains) were known to pass through human bodies without doing much damage. Gladly, we have much better options before us these days.
    That's the load I bring up any time I hear people fussing about how the twist rate in the original 9x19 M&Ps was too slow to stabilize 115-grain bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    That's the load I bring up any time I hear people fussing about how the twist rate in the original 9x19 M&Ps was too slow to stabilize 115-grain bullets.
    Yeah, rev, I remember those complaints―albeit kind of vaguely―what was the twist rate? 1 rotation in 16" or something along those lines?

For a 0.355" diameter 115-grain bullet having a length of 0.53", the Greehill formula says a twist rate of 1 rotation in 35 inches is needed....maybe later I'll run it through the Miller stabilization formula for grins.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 12-27-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List