Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Snubby Ammo - Findings, Thoughts and Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    @UNK

Sorry for the late reply, been pretty busy lately cranking out ammo, raising kids, traveling, etc.

I have used some going as slow as 710, but I tend to push them faster.

That said, even the slower ones on smaller game tend to do exactly as described above.

I have two different .38 wadcutter loads.

A standard pressure, and a +P load.

The standard pressure velocity for a 4" K is 775 FPS

I cannot recall the other velocities off the top of my head at the moment.

The +P wadcutter load velocities are:

1 &7/8ths" BBL= 820 FPS
    4" BBL= 885 FPS
    6" BBL= 950 FPS

They do quite well, especially the +P load in penetrating straight through most things I have used them on.

How is the recoil of the +P load in the lightweight J frame?

NOT UNK............................IT HURTS....CYA MIKE
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

I too like my wadcutters seated out a little bit. Over 3.2-3.3gr of VVN330 a 148-grain WC comes out of my 2" D-Frame slightly faster (no chrono, but I'd guess about 725-750fps) than a factory WC. It's a nice shooting load.

Next time Double Tap has it's 148-grain WC in stock, I'm going to buy some. They advertise 740fps from a J-Frame. Which should be a real sweet spot for J-Frames.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I too like my wadcutters seated out a little bit. Over 3.2-3.3gr of VVN330 a 148-grain WC comes out of my 2" D-Frame slightly faster (no chrono, but I'd guess about 725-750fps) than a factory WC. It's a nice shooting load.

Next time Double Tap has it's 148-grain WC in stock, I'm going to buy some. They advertise 740fps from a J-Frame. Which should be a real sweet spot for J-Frames.
    IF you had the choice between Speed GD 135 +P or those which would it be?
    Steel frame?
    Alloy?

My .38s are steel frame, a 2" and a 3". Can't tell you from memory here which has the GDs and which Federal Match WC but the supply of both is pretty much tits up.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    IF you had the choice between Speed GD 135 +P or those which would it be?
    Steel frame?
    Alloy?

My .38s are steel frame, a 2" and a 3". Can't tell you from memory here which has the GDs and which Federal Match WC but the supply of both is pretty much tits up.
    From a 3" gun the Gold Dot Short Barrel should give 12-16" of penetration and expansion. It is for sure the best non-magnum load from a 3" gun. Unfortunately, it has always been nigh unobtanium and that's not different now.

For a 2" gun - I mean, I run the GD Short Barrel in those as well and they are easier to shoot than old 158-grain +P LHPs, but not nearly as sweet as a wadcutter.

Federal has GMM's in stock - https://www.federalpremium.com/handg.../11-GM38A.html

They ain't cheap at $51/50 - but I guess $1.02/round is still better than the currently Unavailable/Round of the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    How is the recoil of the +P load in the lightweight J frame?
    There is no free lunch.

The +Ps are a bit snappy. I reserve the heavy loads for carry and shooting larger game, and use my standard velocity loads (which are a bit faster than the big name brand) in most small/medium game and targets.

Any tests (not by Federal) in ballistic gel w/ 4LD of the .38 spl 130 gr HST from a snub? How about Buffalo Bore or Corbon 110 gr +P DPX from a snub n gel w/ 4 LD?

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    Any tests (not by Federal) in ballistic gel w/ 4LD of the .38 spl 130 gr HST from a snub? How about Buffalo Bore or Corbon 110 gr +P DPX from a snub n gel w/ 4 LD?
    Not the HST. I've seen clear gel tests, but not 10% Ordnance Gel that was properly calibrated.

For the Buffalo Bore they load the Barnes 110-grain bullet at basically the same velocity as Barnes. The Barnes load was previously recognized by DocGKR as suitable in expansion and penetration from a 2" snub. In general, it seems to be w consistent 14-18" of penetration in gel with or without 4LD. I would consider this round GTG for snubs, however at 1000fps, it's borderline shootable in Airweight guns. In all steel guns it would likely be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Not the HST. I've seen clear gel tests, but not 10% Ordnance Gel that was properly calibrated.

For the Buffalo Bore they load the Barnes 110-grain bullet at basically the same velocity as Barnes. The Barnes load was previously recognized by DocGKR as suitable in expansion and penetration from a 2" snub. In general, it seems to be w consistent 14-18" of penetration in gel with or without 4LD. I would consider this round GTG for snubs, however at 1000fps, it's borderline shootable in Airweight guns. In all steel guns it would likely be acceptable.
    Thanks!! I was loading my 442 & 640 with the HST, then reloads with the 110 gr DPX. Decided to streamline & just went with the 110 gr DPX for carry n reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by LOBO View Post
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ial-cartridge/

User Tag List